News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechad

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 24, 2009, 10:59:04 AM
Quote from: goodabouthood on September 24, 2009, 01:07:12 AM
Quote from: shoreline99 on September 23, 2009, 03:26:57 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on September 17, 2009, 03:59:59 PM
Quote from: JustJezmund on September 17, 2009, 02:57:02 PM
Quote from: shoreline99 on September 16, 2009, 08:40:22 AM
Dan Brown. The Lost Symbol. Meh-tastic.

tell me its not so, i was looking forward to this

I, as well. It happens.

OK, to clarify:

storyline = mehtastic, it's pretty true to Dan Brown formula.

factually, also like his previous books, the novel is very interesting and worth the read.

not saying more as it's hard to discuss without giving spoilers.

ok, so here;s the question. Should i go ahead and get the hardback or is it mehtastic enough to just wait for the paperback version to come out?

Libraries are free...
/just sayin

Or I would imagine that it will be found at used bookstore for pretty cheap in about a week or so.  But if you really want a new copy, I would wait for the paperback.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

justjezmund

I, as well. It happens.

OK, to clarify:

factually, also like his previous books, the novel is very interesting and worth the read.

ok, so here;s the question. Should i go ahead and get the hardback or is it mehtastic enough to just wait for the paperback version to come out?

Libraries are free...
/just sayin

QFT, leaves for Library
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

gah

Quote from: JustJezmund on September 24, 2009, 01:08:21 PM

I, as well. It happens.

OK, to clarify:

Libraries are free...
/just sayin

QFT, leaves for Library

I dunno. I'm allergic to cats, and you know where cats like to hang out...the library.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

justjezmund

^^^ :lol: maybe thats only in UK libraries cause hes reading the UK edition of Half Blood.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

kellerb

Quote from: JustJezmund on September 24, 2009, 04:28:38 PM
^^^ :lol: maybe thats only in UK libraries cause hes reading the UK edition of Half Blood.

Cats preferz teh kingz englush.

shoreline99

Quote from: thechad on September 24, 2009, 12:11:19 PM

I, as well. It happens.

OK, to clarify:

Libraries are free...
/just sayin

Or I would imagine that it will be found at used bookstore for pretty cheap in about a week or so.  But if you really want a new copy, I would wait for the paperback.

Agreed. Unless you want a digital copy. :wink:
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

speaking of... caught this at the book store yesterday.....

do what to read this one...

honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

mattstick

cactusfan

A Scanner Darkly - Philip K. Dick

i've read a bunch of his books over the years, they're always good, but i think this one may be the best. so much better than the movie version.

sprobeck

fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: cactusfan on October 01, 2009, 12:57:08 PM

i've read a bunch of his books over the years, they're always good, but i think this one may be the best. so much better than the movie version.

If you like him.  Please check out the novels from Jack Womack.  His novels "Elvissey", "Ambient", "Heathern", etc are all wonderful cyberpunk novels from the 1980's.  Highly underrated stuff.  Very socio-political and very applicable in the world today.

Also, you may want to find "White Light" by Rudy Rucker.  Rudy Rucker is an amazing author that combines cyberpunk, philosophy, history, quantum theory and higher level mathematics in an interesting way that is stimulating and rewarding. 

I think you'll find that these are not only easier to read than Gibson and Dick, but that they are more entertaining and less direct as well.

When you are done with these...read Vert and Pollen by Jeff Noon.  You won't be sorry.

cactusfan

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on October 01, 2009, 07:33:36 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on October 01, 2009, 12:57:08 PM

If you like him.  Please check out the novels from Jack Womack.  His novels "Elvissey", "Ambient", "Heathern", etc are all wonderful cyberpunk novels from the 1980's.  Highly underrated stuff.  Very socio-political and very applicable in the world today.

Also, you may want to find "White Light" by Rudy Rucker.  Rudy Rucker is an amazing author that combines cyberpunk, philosophy, history, quantum theory and higher level mathematics in an interesting way that is stimulating and rewarding. 

I think you'll find that these are not only easier to read than Gibson and Dick, but that they are more entertaining and less direct as well.

When you are done with these...read Vert and Pollen by Jeff Noon.  You won't be sorry.

i love science fiction-- yet find much of it to be crap. i've heard all about Rucker. i suppose i'll give him a try eventually.  Womack and Noon, maybe. i read a lot of books, and there's a long list...

sorry, that came out rather bitter. i do appreciate any and all book recommendations.

speaking of crappy sf, just finished Lord of Light by Zelazny.
what a load of horseshit that was. and a Hugo winner to boot.
decent writing, actually, but yikes, it was all this late '60s hinduism/buddhism jibber jabber, lots of gods who sort of maybe aren't really gods, doing battle or who knows what, all with a sort of implied science fictiony vibe. i guess.

messengerbird

I am reading the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. I am on the second book New Moon and can't stop reading. I think I am addicted to Vampires. Help!
Central part of town, I'm going down

Quote from: Phishy69 on January 05, 2010, 11:12:04 PM
A match made in Gamehenge  :-D

birdman

Quote from: messengerbird on October 02, 2009, 04:05:23 PM
I am reading the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. I am on the second book New Moon and can't stop reading. I think I am addicted to Vampires. Help!
*Birdman makes appointment with dentist to have fangs installed.
Paug FTMFW!

Mr Minor

Quote from: messengerbird on October 02, 2009, 04:05:23 PM

Every middle school and high school girl and every female teacher at my school have all read it.  They all seem to love it.

I, myself, chose to not have anything to do with them. 
But I hope you enjoy them.  They seem to have taken the world by storm.  And I have heard it just keeps getting better by the fourth book.