News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: kellerb on October 16, 2009, 10:53:36 PM
Quote from: birdman on October 16, 2009, 09:17:12 PM
I'm currently reading a compilation of Pynchon's short stories called Slow Learner.
Much easier on the brain than his massive novels.

Didn't realize he wrote any short stories.  All I've read is Gravity's Rainbow.  What are his short stories like?  Seems like he'd almost have to have a completely different style to write something short.

I couldn't make it past page 70 of Gravity's Rainbow.  Yet, I've read "Infinite Jest" four times.  Generation Gap'd?

hesthemamba

Finishing up The Essential Dalai Lama; His Important Teachings as soon as i can so i can start The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch which is going to be epic
He was a naked pa.

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: JustJezmund on October 04, 2009, 06:55:50 PM
just borrowed The Lost Symbol from the buddy lets see how it really is.

Just picked this up also, hope I'm not disappointed.

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Does he actually get to deliver the papers?

shoreline99

Shhh! Don't ruin the end for me...
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Hey man, I was just basing that on the front cover...

sprobeck

As God Commands by Niccolo Ammaniti.  Good so far!
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

gah

Quote from: hesthemamba on October 20, 2009, 09:11:55 PM
Finishing up The Essential Dalai Lama; His Important Teachings as soon as i can so i can start The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch which is going to be epic

don't get too excited about the pausch book.

/just saying.

Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on October 20, 2009, 09:40:07 PM
Quote from: JustJezmund on October 04, 2009, 06:55:50 PM
just borrowed The Lost Symbol from the buddy lets see how it really is.

Just picked this up also, hope I'm not disappointed.

me too, altho the person i borrowed it from said it took awhile to get into.  :|
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

birdman

Quote from: kellerb on October 16, 2009, 10:53:36 PM
Quote from: birdman on October 16, 2009, 09:17:12 PM
I'm currently reading a compilation of Pynchon's short stories called Slow Learner.
Much easier on the brain than his massive novels.

Didn't realize he wrote any short stories.  All I've read is Gravity's Rainbow.  What are his short stories like?  Seems like he'd almost have to have a completely different style to write something short.
This compilation is made up of his early works, pre-GR. The density is still present but its easier to take in small bites. He takes many of the same themes he includes in his longer works and displays them individually in the  short stories. Does that make sense?
Paug FTMFW!

thechad

I just finished Tom Robbin's Another Roadside Attraction and just started Helter Skelter.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: thechad on October 23, 2009, 12:23:09 PM
I just finished Tom Robbin's Another Roadside Attraction and just started Helter Skelter.

How'd you enjoy Another Roadside Attraction?

thechad

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on October 23, 2009, 02:36:20 PM

How'd you enjoy Another Roadside Attraction?

I liked it, I had pretty much called the Corpse thing about a third of the way through and at times the writing style that he used seemed a little pretentious, but it was a good book and would recommend it to people.  The next book of his that I'm going to read is Still Life... but I've got a few others things to get through first.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

Bobafett

Quote from: Sophist on September 08, 2009, 10:20:26 AM
Quote from: Bobafett on September 07, 2009, 04:10:18 PM
i just started "The things they Carried" by tim o'brien.  never read any of his stuff, but so far i like the writing style a whole lot.  Its about Vietnam, which ususally does nothing for me, but again, the style of storytelling is really solid.
that's one of my favorite books.  He's a brilliant writer.  Let me know what you think once you finish it.

I finished it a few weeks ago and have been too busy to stop bythe paug for a chat about a book, but it is now one of the best books i have read in several years.  Amazing how the story gets the full circle aproach like a conversation with a old southern gentleman.  kinda rambles around the point, but when you get to the light, its a lot brighter because of the journey.  He is def. a great writer.  do you have any suggestions of other works of his.

Also, has anyone with interest in the SW and native american culture read The Ancient Child or House made of Dawn by N. Scott Momaday?  I highly recommend them, particularly THE Ancient Child.  Mindbendin style of writing that border on free form poetry at times.  lots of metaphysical self evaluation going on.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

sophist

I just bought that.  How was it?

and I just started this tonight (read the first two chapters):

and last night I read this in one sitting:

Very interesting.  I didn't know anything about Kafka going into it, and I walked away with a profound sense that Kafka was expounding upon the woes of psychological and economic slavery.  I can understand why the book is praised so highly and a must read for any literary buff. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!