News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aphineday

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on November 06, 2009, 07:06:31 PM
If by minority, you mean one of the millions padding his expense account...ok!

Heh.  Grisham was cool, in High School...he knew how to work suspense.

HAH! That's what I meant by "minority", I should have explained better. I meant in the minority of intellectual readers. Fuck it, I'll just go buy the new Danielle Steele, I think I'm hopeless ;)

I agree though, the majority of my Grisham experience was in HS as well, and I was just getting into reading. It was cheap suspense, sometimes with some morality mixed in. It's weird that I still feel compelled to read his stuff, but kind of treat it like junk food for my mind now.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on November 13, 2009, 10:55:39 AM
Besides studying for a maternal-newborn final, this is what I'm currently reading:

In the late summer of 1831, in a remote section of southeastern Virginia, there took place the only effective, sustained revolt in the annals of American Negro slavery...

The revolt was led by a remarkable Negro preacher named Nat Turner, an educated slave who felt himself divinely ordained to annihilate all the white people in the region.

The Confessions of Nat Turner is narrated by Nat himself as he lingers in jail through the cold autumnal days before his execution. The compelling story ranges over the whole of Nat's Life, reaching its inevitable and shattering climax that bloody day in August.

The Confessions of Nat Turner is not only a masterpiece of storytelling; is also reveals in unforgettable human terms the agonizing essence of Negro slavery. Through the mind of a slave, Willie Styron has re-created a catastrophic event, and dramatized the intermingled miseries, frustrations--and hopes--which caused this extraordinary black man to rise up out of the early mists of our history and strike down those who held his people in bondage.

Is this considered Biography or "Historical Fiction"?

mattstick

Just finished David Eggars' You Shall Know Our Velocity.  Good book, I got a little tired of his all-over-the-place writing after a while...

Although I did chuckle when I read this:

QuoteThe sun was gone.  I had missed its final few seconds. Time had become elastic.  I'd forgotten about Hand

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on November 13, 2009, 02:06:04 PM
Quote from: gainesvillegreen on November 13, 2009, 10:55:39 AM
Besides studying for a maternal-newborn final, this is what I'm currently reading:

In the late summer of 1831, in a remote section of southeastern Virginia, there took place the only effective, sustained revolt in the annals of American Negro slavery...

The revolt was led by a remarkable Negro preacher named Nat Turner, an educated slave who felt himself divinely ordained to annihilate all the white people in the region.

The Confessions of Nat Turner is narrated by Nat himself as he lingers in jail through the cold autumnal days before his execution. The compelling story ranges over the whole of Nat's Life, reaching its inevitable and shattering climax that bloody day in August.

The Confessions of Nat Turner is not only a masterpiece of storytelling; is also reveals in unforgettable human terms the agonizing essence of Negro slavery. Through the mind of a slave, Willie Styron has re-created a catastrophic event, and dramatized the intermingled miseries, frustrations--and hopes--which caused this extraordinary black man to rise up out of the early mists of our history and strike down those who held his people in bondage.

Is this considered Biography or "Historical Fiction"?

"Historical Fiction"
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Oh Ok.  I'm a little over historical fiction right now.  I think it is getting to be an exhausted genre, as opposed to a niche genre, you know?  Nat Turner is a cool story tho.

mehead

about to start Cormac McCarthy's "The Road"..I've owned it forever and for some reason I just never got around to reading it..
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Mr Minor

Quote from: mehead on November 14, 2009, 04:04:30 PM
about to start Cormac McCarthy's "The Road"..I've owned it forever and for some reason I just never got around to reading it..

I really enjoyed it.  So dark and oddly disturbing.

rowjimmy

I have that on deck, as well.

gah

Quote from: Mr Minor on November 14, 2009, 07:52:23 PM

Yeah, I enjoyed it too. Never read any of his other material though.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

sunrisevt

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 15, 2009, 08:16:04 PM

I have that on deck, as well.

I read that earlier this fall, and I'll tell you, it's an excellent book--but as a father, one of the darkest, most wrenching things I've ever read. As difficult in its way as Beloved, which I've had to stop teaching now that I've got a child.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

G. Augusto

cactusfan

Quote from: goodabouthood on November 16, 2009, 12:39:43 PM
Quote from: Mr Minor on November 14, 2009, 07:52:23 PM

Yeah, I enjoyed it too. Never read any of his other material though.

i highly recommend McCarthy's Blood Meridian. the Road is good. and written in the extremely sparse style he's mastered of late. it's a quick read. but Blood Meridian, written in the '80s, is very dense and dark and hallucinogenic and violent and apocalyptic. one of the most amazing books i've ever read.

Hicks

Keep a dictionary handy if you decide to tackle Blood Meridian, it's rife with 25 cent words.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

Blood Meridian is waiting in my queue. Not until I finish this, which I'm finding fascinating but somehow I've lacked the discipline to knock it out in a reasonable amount of time:

Sent to me by my fiancee's mom, no less.
Is this still Wombat?

Mr Minor

Just started:
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close