News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nab

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 18, 2009, 12:55:05 PM
Quote from: nab on November 18, 2009, 12:54:03 PM
Quote from: sunrisevt on November 18, 2009, 12:39:10 PM
A stamp for marking bricks of hash or O?

Closest, not there yet though.

It's an opium package.

Row Knows

You guys want a harder challenge?

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

rowjimmy

Quote from: nab on November 18, 2009, 01:06:48 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 18, 2009, 12:55:05 PM
Quote from: nab on November 18, 2009, 12:54:03 PM
Quote from: sunrisevt on November 18, 2009, 12:39:10 PM
A stamp for marking bricks of hash or O?

Closest, not there yet though.

It's an opium package.

Row Knows

You guys want a harder challenge?

That was my first thought but the joke took precedence.

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

nab

Here is the tougher challenge.  There is a piece of ceramic next to the north arrow in this picture.  It is Chinese related.  Can you name the type of ceramic and infer a function. 

rowjimmy

I will name it Steve and declare that it is for lying on the ground until someone picks it up.

Mr Minor

Quote from: nab on November 18, 2009, 01:20:20 PM
Here is the tougher challenge.  There is a piece of ceramic next to the north arrow in this picture.  It is Chinese related.  Can you name the type of ceramic and infer a function.

I will imply, you can infer. 
It has the function of the pointing variety.
:-P

nab

Quote from: Mr Minor on November 18, 2009, 01:23:01 PM

You have just been elected to my editing committee. 

Mr Minor

Quote from: nab on November 18, 2009, 01:26:56 PM

You have just been elected to my editing committee.

:lol:

sunrisevt

English teachers do it with style.  :beers:
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Mr Minor

Quote from: sunrisevt on November 18, 2009, 02:19:37 PM
English teachers do it with style.  :beers:

That's what I'm talking about, dude.

:rockout:

cactusfan

huh? are you suggesting he should have written "can you name the type of ceramic and IMPLY a function"?

i sure hope not.

nab used 'infer' correctly above.

nab

Then again, the style of writing I use when talking about these sorts of things tends to be heavily influenced by the type of literature I read on the subject.  Scientifically correct and grammatically correct are often not the same.  Infer (or inference) is a loaded term which embodies many different meanings and interpretations in archeological literature. 

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: sunrisevt on November 18, 2009, 12:19:41 PM
Quote from: gainesvillegreen on November 17, 2009, 10:25:12 PM
Very pleased to see all the McCarthy queued up, and that it is being taught (sunrise, what grade or classes do you teach?).

I'll be interested in hearing about the Foer. Unlike McCarthy, of which I've read everything, I haven't read Foer yet. He certainly has his enthusiasts.

I'm an adjunct at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, NY. I teach freshman expository writing and intro finction. I think I gave you the wrong impression, though--I just read The Road; I haven't taught it. I did teach Toni Morrison's Beloved, but stopped using it recently because it was too much to deal with every semester, since having a little girl. The Road was a similar experience for me as a father--I was moved deeply and not entirely comfortably by the consideration of parenthood in extreme circumstances.

Excellent, and not your fault, I misread your post. What books do you teach in the intro fiction course?
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

Alumni

Interesting first-hand look at the difficulties research scientists face when they are sucked into the public policy process.

Cause I got a degree