News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 22, 2010, 02:16:26 PM
Finishing up

The Dirt : Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band

I've never been a huge fan of Motley Crue and this book won't change that but, it's been a fun read.

i'll be done when i land in chicago tomorrow.
and i AM a fan....i've loved every page of this book.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

fauxpaxfauxreal

White Light by rudy rucker.

MiamiPhish

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on March 08, 2010, 10:03:29 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on February 22, 2010, 02:16:26 PM
Finishing up

The Dirt : Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band

I've never been a huge fan of Motley Crue and this book won't change that but, it's been a fun read.

i'll be done when i land in chicago tomorrow.
and i AM a fan....i've loved every page of this book.

I liked this one too.  Yall should check out The Game for another quick, entertaining read.

Mr Minor

Just received this from another English teacher.  We laughed about the idea when we first saw it last year and she picked it up for me as she knew I would appreciate it.  Should be interesting.  I like literature.  I like zombies.  Sounds like a great combo!

gainesvillegreen

^Re: The Zombies

From the Millions:
When Kelly wrote of "remixed" books, many were aghast, envisioning zombified, soulless collages, based on the desecrated works that had been co-opted for profit. They may have been right about the zombie part: At least one book remix has caused quite a stir this year. According to Publishers Weekly, there are "more than 600,000 copies in print of... Jane Austen mashup, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies." A graphic novel version is in the works, as is a sequel, Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. Even though this recent example looms large, when you start thinking about it there is a rich history of literary remixes.

Returning to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, silly as it may be, one wonders if the book's success doesn't prove there is an appetite – in our heavily remixed, mashed up culture – for freer rein to be afforded writers who want to experiment in this vein. It's also clear that the public domain offers an unending font of material for those inclined to use it (for a more highbrow example, think of the relationship between Tom Stoppard and Shakespeare). Meanwhile, the Salinger case would seem to indicate that when it comes to books under copyright and the cross-linking, clustering, and reassembling that Kelly prophesied, we are still very much at the whim of the copyright holder.

Enjoy!
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

kellerb

emma thompson always seemed a little zombie-ish, in my opinion

cactusfan

Quote from: kellerb on March 08, 2010, 10:43:53 PM

i see what you mean. then again, i used to think of her as a sort of... zilf.

kellerb

Quote from: cactusfan on March 09, 2010, 12:43:42 AM
Quote from: kellerb on March 08, 2010, 10:43:53 PM

i see what you mean. then again, i used to think of her as a sort of... zilf.

Oh def.

zilf...With Xtreme Prejudice!

rowjimmy

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on February 25, 2010, 10:42:37 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on February 24, 2010, 11:06:07 AM

The Lost City of Z
by David Grann

I've heard good things. What's the verdict thus far?

Totally dug this book. finished it last night.

thatfargone

Quote from: Mr Minor on March 08, 2010, 01:39:22 PM

Just received this from another English teacher.  We laughed about the idea when we first saw it last year and she picked it up for me as she knew I would appreciate it.  Should be interesting.  I like literature.  I like zombies.  Sounds like a great combo!

Should check out the follow up if you enjoy it:

"Sense and Sensibility and Seas Monsters"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1594744424/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1594743347&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=03G8J83PA3X0Y1VWA9PH

Different author, but my last girlfriend was a huge fan of the first and really liked this one too.
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 09, 2010, 02:50:05 PM

The Lost City of Z
by David Grann

Rawk. Thanks RJ. Will check it out this summer. Now, back to CBC values.....  :angel:
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

whyweigh5.0

I saw that book in the bookstore tonight and almost picked it up.  Maybe next time since you guys are saying good things about it.

I'm not reading it yet, but I picked this one up tonight
http://www.amazon.com/Cant-Find-Way-Home-1945-2000/dp/0743230108
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

Gol D. Roger

,,Teenage Dreams, So Hard To Beat"

kellerb

Quote from: Gol D. Roger on March 20, 2010, 06:47:52 AM

I read that one a few months ago.  It wasn't what I was expecting, but it was interesting.

cactusfan

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 09, 2010, 02:50:05 PM

The Lost City of Z
by David Grann

i don't know... this didn't grab me. seemed to be a book mostly full of padding. there really wasn't much known about this explorer Fawcett. his city of Z was just his name for El Dorado, i.e. the Lost City of Gold. Fawcett was one of these gentlemen explorers who was obsessed to the point his hubris got him killed. the author just seems to really be sweating trying to make Fawcett sound important for believing in this 'city.' that it has come to light that much larger populations lived in south america than has been previously thought doesn't make these fantasies about cities of gold somehow prescient.

and for actual scientific into about the fact of larger populations, there's a much better book that came out a few years ago, called 1491.

hearing about the author's own dull travels to brazil was especially boring. his writing style is very flat, suitable for the magazine articles he normally writes, but not for a whole book. then again, it's a massive best-seller everyone loves... so maybe i'll just shut up now.  :-D