News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatfargone

I am a huge follower of theoretical physics.  M Theory, super strings, extra dimensions, etc. etc. is my shit.  So I just picked this up:

"From Here to Eternity" by Sean Carroll
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

cactusfan

Quote from: thatfargone on March 23, 2010, 02:13:53 PM
I am a huge follower of theoretical physics.  M Theory, super strings, extra dimensions, etc. etc. is my shit.  So I just picked this up:

"From Here to Eternity" by Sean Carroll

i also love books about this stuff.
will have to pick this one up.

by the way, i'm curious about the thelonious monk "quote" you have there. that particular quote, and variations on it, have been attributed to damn near everyone, and there is nothing definitive on the web that i can find showing an actual first citation of its use. more often than not, it's attributed to steve martin or frank zappa.

Guyute

Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

birdman

First time reading this one. So far so good.
Paug FTMFW!

thatfargone

Quote from: cactusfan on March 23, 2010, 05:47:30 PM

by the way, i'm curious about the thelonious monk "quote" you have there. that particular quote, and variations on it, have been attributed to damn near everyone, and there is nothing definitive on the web that i can find showing an actual first citation of its use. more often than not, it's attributed to steve martin or frank zappa.

Interesting.  I have never heard it outside of Monk.  I just googled the exact wording as I have quoted and get multiple hits listing Monk as a source....however I do believe it is a miss quote of "Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"  Which is attribulted to everyone.

Take a read:http://www.pacifier.com/~ascott/they/tamildaa.htm

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Guyute on March 24, 2010, 07:05:50 AM
Here's where I'm at

Dharma Bums is one of my favs. You should read Desolation Angels immediately afterward as it follows directly in the chronology.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

<3

it's insane how big of a crush i had on this guy when i was little...
kinda still do  :-)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

crnl4bn

In the middle of a few right now.

http://db.etree.org/flavaflav

This opportune physical form
Is worth more than a wish-granting gem.
You only gain its like the once.
So hard to get, so easily destroyed,
It's like a lightning bolt in the sky.

Contemplate this, and you will realize
All worldly actions are but winnowed chaff,
And night and day you must
Extract some essence from your life.
I, the yogi, practiced this way;
You, wanting liberation, do the same!

- Lord Tsongkhapa, King of the Dharma

whyweigh5.0

It's hard buying books for other people.  I picked out something for my mom while I was at the bookstore the other day.  Took me about an hour of looking around to finally settle on something.  Not sure how much she will like it but it got a lot of 5star reviews
http://www.amazon.com/NurtureShock-New-Thinking-About-Children/dp/0446504122
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

kellerb

Quote from: JustJezmund on March 02, 2010, 05:31:16 PM

:crazy: finally got these today(this one and the next in the series)  im not even through the first chapter yet mostly from laughing so much.

Just breezed through this.  Hilarious!  If its a series, I'll have to look for others.

Also just finished Slash's [auto]biography, which was a fun read

whyweigh5.0

I need to go on a book buying hiatus.  I have so many that I need to finish still
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

thatfargone

Quote from: whyweigh4.0 on March 24, 2010, 12:24:21 PM
I need to go on a book buying hiatus.  I have so many that I need to finish still

I feel like this at times.  But then I'd stop DL music, buying movies etc.  Ah....to be a part of a commercialized/capitalist society!  Mmmmmm it just feels so good to buy things!!! :lol:

cactusfan

Quote from: thatfargone on March 24, 2010, 09:12:16 AM
Quote from: cactusfan on March 23, 2010, 05:47:30 PM

Interesting.  I have never heard it outside of Monk.  I just googled the exact wording as I have quoted and get multiple hits listing Monk as a source....however I do believe it is a miss quote of "Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"  Which is attribulted to everyone.

Take a read:http://www.pacifier.com/~ascott/they/tamildaa.htm

yes, i saw that page in my earlier search, which points out that the attribution to monk appeared in usenet posts, with no actual citation as to where it might have come from.

i also googled the exact wording as you have it, and there's only one link that actually has the quote attributed to monk, which is then appended with a question mark. one of the links goes to a post of yours on the paug!

anyhow, not trying to bust you or anything, i'm just interested in that quote. i liked it a lot when i first heard it years ago... but then i kept reading it attributed to different people, often with different wording, and started to wonder.

thatfargone

LOL!  No problem, now you got me on the hunt! :laugh:

Actually the whole Furthur/Garcia issue I was involved in and then the Dylan = guitar innovator "discussion" :roll: :-D  I went searching for a pertinent quote.  Got it from wikiquote or some other quote site, but had thought I had read it in a cheap "Book of Jazz Quotes" before...but I always search out Jazz quotes so who knows.   After discussing it a bit a friend, and jazz scholar of mine, he though Mingus.  LOL!  May never know, especially if one of my quick looked at sources is....me.  HA!

It just sounded like Monk to me, that's why I never questioned it. Hmm...gotta dig up some Monk references see if I can find an actual source.  Interesting so many people are attributed to it.

Interesting that Miles, Monk and Mingus all have been attributed at some point.

Guyute

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 24, 2010, 10:17:05 AM
Quote from: Guyute on March 24, 2010, 07:05:50 AM
Here's where I'm at

Dharma Bums is one of my favs. You should read Desolation Angels immediately afterward as it follows directly in the chronology.

Cool thanks
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.