News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: Guyute on March 29, 2010, 04:34:44 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 24, 2010, 10:17:05 AM
Quote from: Guyute on March 24, 2010, 07:05:50 AM
Here's where I'm at

Dharma Bums is one of my favs. You should read Desolation Angels immediately afterward as it follows directly in the chronology.

Cool thanks

Only Jack Kerouac I read was On the Road, and all I remember is, it was all over the place, and I don't think I got it. Oh well.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

MiamiPhish

Quote from: goodabouthood on March 30, 2010, 09:32:27 AM
Quote from: Guyute on March 29, 2010, 04:34:44 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 24, 2010, 10:17:05 AM
Quote from: Guyute on March 24, 2010, 07:05:50 AM
Here's where I'm at

Dharma Bums is one of my favs. You should read Desolation Angels immediately afterward as it follows directly in the chronology.

Cool thanks

Only Jack Kerouac I read was On the Road, and all I remember is, it was all over the place, and I don't think I got it. Oh well.

Re-read.  Enjoy.  Repeat.

As for me, The Rum Diary, Hunter S.

cactusfan

Money by Martin Amis

really liked this. a sort of book-long rant by a pretty unseemly character, a fat, sexist, hard drinking commercial director as he attempts to get a big budget movie started, all centered around money, and lots of it. and yet-- he's sympathetic just the same. great writing. supposedly inspired by Amis' time working on the script for the notorious piece of shit movie Saturn 3.

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: cactusfan on April 01, 2010, 05:17:23 PM
Money by Martin Amis

really liked this. a sort of book-long rant by a pretty unseemly character, a fat, sexist, hard drinking commercial director as he attempts to get a big budget movie started, all centered around money, and lots of it. and yet-- he's sympathetic just the same. great writing. supposedly inspired by Amis' time working on the script for the notorious piece of shit movie Saturn 3.

Have you read anything else by him? He has a new-ish book out, and seems pretty polarizing as a personality (e.g. recently endorsed euthanasia booths on street corners in his home country, continuously takes pisses on other writers heads to name a couple). Didn't know if he was someone you read faithfully or not.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

cactusfan

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on April 01, 2010, 10:58:49 PM
Money by Martin Amis

Have you read anything else by him? He has a new-ish book out, and seems pretty polarizing as a personality (e.g. recently endorsed euthanasia booths on street corners in his home country, continuously takes pisses on other writers heads to name a couple). Didn't know if he was someone you read faithfully or not.

yeah, i guess i'm vaguely aware of his being kind of a bastard. i don't really follow him. but i've read two other books of his, both very good. one was London Fields, similar in a sense to Money, in that it follows a pretty unsavory character, and is as such very character based, not much in the way of plot. but a great read. Amis has a beautiful way with words.

the other is a really fascinating short novel called Time's Arrow. it's narrated in the first person by a sort of consciousness of a man who experiences that man's life in reverse. so it opens with the man coming alive as doctors look down on him, and goes until his birth. there are some other cool twists along the way. might sound similar to that benjami button thing, but it's actually quite different, with a very different purpose in mind.

whyweigh5.0

I'm still working on the new Phish bio.  I tend to put books down and forget and pick up other books.  Tonight though I took out a big chunk of it
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

Gol D. Roger

,,Teenage Dreams, So Hard To Beat"

rowjimmy

Charles Mann's 1491 per cactusfan's suggestion.

Alumni

Quote from: cactusfan on April 02, 2010, 01:14:35 AM
Quote from: gainesvillegreen on April 01, 2010, 10:58:49 PM
Money by Martin Amis

yeah, i guess i'm vaguely aware of his being kind of a bastard. i don't really follow him. but i've read two other books of his, both very good. one was London Fields, similar in a sense to Money, in that it follows a pretty unsavory character, and is as such very character based, not much in the way of plot. but a great read. Amis has a beautiful way with words.

the other is a really fascinating short novel called Time's Arrow. it's narrated in the first person by a sort of consciousness of a man who experiences that man's life in reverse. so it opens with the man coming alive as doctors look down on him, and goes until his birth. there are some other cool twists along the way. might sound similar to that benjami button thing, but it's actually quite different, with a very different purpose in mind.

Curious to hear about the new Amis novel also. I've always wanted to enjoy his work, just a little bit more than I've actually enjoyed them. Maybe I've read the wrong work (most recently The House of Meetings and The Moronic Inferno).
Cause I got a degree

mistercharlie

I don't know if Graphic Novels count in this thread, But Dagny came home from work with the the first three books of Preacher for me on Saturday. She looked at them while checking in all the books that day and thought I would like it.
I read them about 15 years ago, but I'm still really enjoying them the second time through.

Book 1
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

thatfargone

Comics and graphic novels are usually much better written than the average genre fiction (crap) or biography book.  I certainly approve! 

Big comic fan?
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

mistercharlie

Quote from: thatfargone on April 05, 2010, 02:16:33 PM
Comics and graphic novels are usually much better written than the average genre fiction (crap) or biography book.  I certainly approve! 

Big comic fan?

Used to read them all the damn time. It's been quite a while since I've read any though. Last time I did was on the plane to San Fran when I read a lot of the Fables graphic novels. I should have her see if her library has those so I could finish out the series.

You'll still see me wearing my Batman, Superman, and Green Lantern shirts all the time though.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

thatfargone

Right on, lot of that Vertigo stuff is fantastic.  I typically read anything by Bendis, Morisson, Loeb, and Millar.

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

mistercharlie

Quote from: thatfargone on April 05, 2010, 02:25:25 PM
Right on, lot of that Vertigo stuff is fantastic.  I typically read anything by Bendis, Morisson, Loeb, and Millar.

I do enjoy all of those guy's work. Is Morrison still doing Batman?

thatfargone

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 05, 2010, 02:31:26 PM
Quote from: thatfargone on April 05, 2010, 02:25:25 PM

I do enjoy all of those guy's work. Is Morrison still doing Batman?

Yeah (Batman & Robin) I still think his New X-Men run has yet to be topped.  He is slated to write the return of Bruce Wayne (but I actually don't like Batman...so haven't been following.) 

I'm more of a Marvel guy.