News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman

Quote from: ThePhanastasio on August 03, 2010, 01:41:51 AM
Quote from: Multibeast12 on August 03, 2010, 12:59:09 AM
Dark tower book III took me forever to get through the second. if was a great book just hard to find the time to read which sucks. But anyway. I love this series, its so good.

Way nice! The Dark Tower series is pretty sweet - book III is great. Book IV will probably take a while when you get to it, though - but you get a lot more of Roland's story. V-VII are definitely enjoyable too. VII is one of the most intense reading experiences I've had.

Hope you dig the rest of the series!
Book III is a great read. I hated waiting 6 years before the next book came out. Honestly, book IV may be my favorite of the whole series (although VII is  close second) I love the whole love story. Sorry, Im a sap :-P
Paug FTMFW!

kellerb

Quote from: birdman on August 03, 2010, 04:28:37 PM
Dark tower book III took me forever to get through the second. if was a great book just hard to find the time to read which sucks. But anyway. I love this series, its so good.

Way nice! The Dark Tower series is pretty sweet - book III is great. Book IV will probably take a while when you get to it, though - but you get a lot more of Roland's story. V-VII are definitely enjoyable too. VII is one of the most intense reading experiences I've had.

Book III is a great read. I hated waiting 6 years before the next book came out. Honestly, book IV may be my favorite of the whole series (although VII is  close second) I love the whole love story. Sorry, Im a sap :-P

Yeah, that cliffhanger was a bitch.  I enjoy book 4 a lot too.  Book 7 loses a couple points in my opinion--there are some storylines that are resolved shittily.  Horse-forced might be a good description.  However, the main characters' resolutions and the end of the book are pretty much perfect.

aphineday

Just starting a book club here at work, this is our first undertaking.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

kellerb

Quote from: aphineday on August 03, 2010, 09:08:33 PM

Does the book explain why those purple flowers are growing out of her butt?

aphineday

Quote from: kellerb on August 03, 2010, 09:45:19 PM
Quote from: aphineday on August 03, 2010, 09:08:33 PM

Does the book explain why those purple flowers are growing out of her butt?
I'm on the case dude. I'll report back. Also, I'm not saying you're wrong on any level here, but that has to be the oddest shaped ass I've ever seen. That said, I have no idea wtf it is.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

Gol D. Roger

,,Teenage Dreams, So Hard To Beat"

Multibeast12

Quote from: kellerb on August 03, 2010, 06:06:38 PM
Quote from: birdman on August 03, 2010, 04:28:37 PM

Yeah, that cliffhanger was a bitch.  I enjoy book 4 a lot too.  Book 7 loses a couple points in my opinion--there are some storylines that are resolved shittily.  Horse-forced might be a good description.  However, the main characters' resolutions and the end of the book are pretty much perfect.
I love the Dark Tower love around here.

gah

my first Tom Robbins book, Still Life with Woodpecker......
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

thechad

Quote from: goodabouthood on August 05, 2010, 02:20:11 PM

I haven't gotten to that one yet, but I highly recommend Another Roadside Attraction.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

alcoholandcoffeebeans

that's oh so very good...

but Villa Incognito, FTW! :)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

PIE-GUY

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on August 06, 2010, 02:33:31 AM

I liked both, but yah, Villa Incognito, FTMFW!

I started A Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick on my trip this past weekend. It's my first time reading Dick. So far i really dig the writing. Of course, I've seen the movie a few times, so I know what's happening already. Still, so much more in the book!

I know there are other fans of Dick on this board (no homo). What should I read next?
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 09, 2010, 04:00:20 PM

I started A Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick on my trip this past weekend. It's my first time reading Dick. So far i really dig the writing. Of course, I've seen the movie a few times, so I know what's happening already. Still, so much more in the book!

I know there are other fans of Dick on this board (no homo). What should I read next?

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

cactusfan

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 09, 2010, 04:00:20 PM

the movie is a total fail compared to the book.
i've read a lot of his stuff, and this one, which i came to rather late, is my favorite.
up next for you, try:
Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said
The Man In The High Castle
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (might as well see where bladerunner came from)

PKD went a little nutty in a sort of strange religious sense somewhere around the early '70s. A Scanner Darkly is interesting in that it was written sort of at the beginning of this phase of his, though it still has one foot in his earlier pure science fiction stuff.
the one to read after his transformation is Valis.

gainesvillegreen

Reading Roberto Bolano's The Return which is a short story collection. About 4 stories into it, and while I am enjoying it, it isn't bolwing me over like the stories in Last Evenings on Earth did - however, I;ve read probably 3000 pages of him since that time, so the shock factor is no longer present.

Also:
Yoko Ogunwa
The Housekeeper and The Professor

From PW:
Starred Review. Ogawa (The Diving Pool) weaves a poignant tale of beauty, heart and sorrow in her exquisite new novel. Narrated by the Housekeeper, the characters are known only as the Professor and Root, the Housekeepers 10-year-old son, nicknamed by the Professor because the shape of his hair and head remind the Professor of the square root symbol. A brilliant mathematician, the Professor was seriously injured in a car accident and his short-term memory only lasts for 80 minutes. He can remember his theorems and favorite baseball players, but the Housekeeper must reintroduce herself every morning, sometimes several times a day. The Professor, who adores Root, is able to connect with the child through baseball, and the Housekeeper learns how to work with him through the memory lapses until they can come together on common ground, at least for 80 minutes. In this gorgeous tale, Ogawa lifts the window shade to allow readers to observe the characters for a short while, then closes the shade. Snyder—who also translated Pool—brings a delicate and precise hand to the translation.

Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

sprobeck

Just started: Bill Graham Presents: My Life Inside Rock and Out by Bill Graham and Robert Greenfield. Good so far.
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!