News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: tet on September 08, 2010, 01:21:21 PM
Dylan- Chronicles Vol 1 was excellent, and i really enjoyed that Rock Scully book too.

Already finished Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and Girl Who Played With Fire, now up to the final book of the trilogy and am totally loving it.  too bad he had to go and die...

Word on the street is there is another book out there. Stay tuned..
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

sprobeck

Just started Sweet Chaos: The Grateful Dead's American Adventure by Carol Brightman. Picked it up at the GD Archive Exibit at the New York Historical Society when I was out there for the Jones Beach shows. Good so far.
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

DeviousGelatin

An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness by Kay Redfield Jamison. Apparently it's one of the preeminent books on manic-depression / bipolar spectrum disorders. Written by a woman who is both an expert in the psychiatric field and a bipolar patient.

"He's sittin at the piano, lookin' sharp. He's a guy, who looks sharp at the piano."  --Trey Anastasio, 'Ode to Page's New Shirt'

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: DeviousGelatin on September 08, 2010, 12:12:39 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on September 08, 2010, 11:09:32 AM
Solid, I mentioned that awhile back. I haven't checked this other one out that people mentioned, but am adding it to my list right now. You might be interested in that one too...

Awesome, thanks! This one (Musicophilia) is definitely a bit over my head, but it's really interesting nonetheless. It'd be cool to read something similar that's aimed at a layman's understanding rather than a neurologist's.   :-P

I'll definitely add that to the list. +K for you, sir.

once you get the swing of it, it'll start to make a lot of sense.
i'm actually finishing it up right now :)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

DeviousGelatin

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on September 09, 2010, 11:36:37 AM

Yeah, it's not inaccessible or anything. And I did finish it the other day, very glad I read it - it was sort of a random purchase and turned out to be different than I thought it would be, but still really interesting. I just had to brush up on my neurology a bit.   8-)
"He's sittin at the piano, lookin' sharp. He's a guy, who looks sharp at the piano."  --Trey Anastasio, 'Ode to Page's New Shirt'

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: DeviousGelatin on September 09, 2010, 11:41:22 AM
Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on September 09, 2010, 11:36:37 AM

Yeah, it's not inaccessible or anything. And I did finish it the other day, very glad I read it - it was sort of a random purchase and turned out to be different than I thought it would be, but still really interesting. I just had to brush up on my neurology a bit.   8-)

you and me both, sir. i got discouraged at first and had put it down for a long while.
picked it up when i moved home and i'm def. glad i did...
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

DeviousGelatin

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on September 09, 2010, 11:43:35 AM
you and me both, sir. i got discouraged at first and had put it down for a long while.
picked it up when i moved home and i'm def. glad i did...

I didn't get discouraged really, but I definitely had that moment of "whoah, okay... heady, brah" when I first started it. But I ended up kind of doing the same thing you did - I was reading 2-3 other books at the same time, so I'd just read a bit of Musicophilia here and there, between the WWII memoirs and some fiction.

I never used to read multiple books at the same time, but lately that's been working great, especially as I try to get myself into reading more non-fiction along with all the novels and such.

(We need a nerd smiley face for this kind of stuff.)

Hicks

heh, this is probably my most used smiley on the forum for my work. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mehead

horror - Little's books can be a little off the wall, sometimes borderline cheesy but I love it
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

susep

interesting view of inside the Fed. 

MiamiPhish

Really enjoyed this one.  But then I saw an interview w/Capote discussing the book, and the guy came off as a real pompous asshole, so it's like I don't want to give him any more props.. but it was a good book.  Good piece of nonfiction journalism.

next up, Wolfe's Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test... yeehawwwww

mbw

nab

Quote from: MiamiPhish on September 21, 2010, 10:08:45 PM

Really enjoyed this one.  But then I saw an interview w/Capote discussing the book, and the guy came off as a real pompous asshole, so it's like I don't want to give him any more props.. but it was a good book.  Good piece of nonfiction journalism.

next up, Wolfe's Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test... yeehawwwww

Not quite how I would describe this book or EKAAT, enjoyable reads nonetheless. 

Buffalo Budd

Friend of mine just lent me 'The Heroin Diaries', gonna start it this weekend.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.