News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

MiamiPhish

Quote from: nab on September 23, 2010, 01:06:44 AM
Quote from: MiamiPhish on September 21, 2010, 10:08:45 PM

Really enjoyed this one.  But then I saw an interview w/Capote discussing the book, and the guy came off as a real pompous asshole, so it's like I don't want to give him any more props.. but it was a good book.  Good piece of nonfiction journalism.

next up, Wolfe's Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test... yeehawwwww

Not quite how I would describe this book or EKAAT, enjoyable reads nonetheless.

But that's exactly what they are -- In Cold Blood is the product of six years of tireless journalistic reporting from Capote.  He said his notes for the book filled an entire room, and what he used (you'll remember the entire book is filled with incredible detail - all true) was 20% of what he'd gathered from those six year.  EKAAT is also basically Wolfe's funky way of reporting what was going on with Kesey and the Merry Pranksters.

kellerb

1.  I'm cheating and listening to "How to win friends & influence people" on mp3 audiobook.  But I'm more interested in what all of you are doing.

2.  Anyone else get the press release about the Dark Tower Movies/TV series now in development?!

3.  My clearest memory of Electric Koolaid Acid test's prose is the early bit about the undercovers and their shiny shoes, which I recalled yesterday when I was reading that pt thread about "Real W00ks of Genius" and there was an Undercover Cop post.

mbw

Quote from: kellerb on September 23, 2010, 06:33:51 PM
1.  I'm cheating and listening to "How to win friends & influence people" on mp3 audiobook.  But I'm more interested in what all of you are doing.

thats so nice of you.  hey, how about i get us tix, airfare and a place to stay for NYE?  my treat.

cactusfan

in the middle of Eyeless In Gaza by Huxley. very good. never read anything by him aside from Brave New World, and that was years ago.

kellerb

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on September 23, 2010, 06:37:18 PM

thats so nice of you.  hey, how about i get us tix, airfare and a place to stay for NYE?  my treat.

IT'S FUCKING WORKING!

gah

Quote from: kellerb on September 23, 2010, 06:46:24 PM

IT'S FUCKING WORKING!

comedic genius!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

(there must be higher amounts of funny in the water you midwest boys drink)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

kellerb

Quote from: goodabouthood on September 24, 2010, 10:30:55 AM
Quote from: kellerb on September 23, 2010, 06:46:24 PM

IT'S FUCKING WORKING!

comedic genius!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

(there must be higher amounts of funny in the water you midwest boys drink)

I thought that water tasted funny last night.  And this morning, my head hurts.

DeviousGelatin

2.  Anyone else get the press release about the Dark Tower Movies/TV series now in development?!

Homiesaywhat?!?  *runs to Google*   :crazy:
"He's sittin at the piano, lookin' sharp. He's a guy, who looks sharp at the piano."  --Trey Anastasio, 'Ode to Page's New Shirt'

whatapiper

just finished The Godfather and I have The Sicilian on hold at the library, cant wait for that one!

while I'm waiting for The Sicilian it's time to head to one of the most beautiful parts of our country, in Edward Abby's "Desert Solitaire"

so far I'm really enjoying his not giving a shit style of writing, to the point, a little bit of a tangent writer at times, but still a good read...
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Hicks

Just read the Crack in Space by Philip K. Dick. 

It was interesting because it concerns a candidate attempting to become the first black president. . .      in the year 2080.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

whatapiper

Quote from: Hicks on October 16, 2010, 01:12:09 AM
Just read the Crack in Space by Philip K. Dick. 

It was interesting because it concerns a candidate attempting to become the first black president. . .      in the year 2080.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

phil

"The Sound and the Fury" - William Faulkner

I'm a sucker for all things Faulkner. Revisiting this one, it is WILD.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

Multibeast12

Starting the foundation Series By Asimov

alcoholandcoffeebeans

if you watch the TV show "Bones" which i'm all about, considering it's close to the field i want in... this is the book series it's based off of.... first one of many. Awesome, so far.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫