News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: slslbs on December 22, 2010, 08:38:55 PM
Keeeef
Life

a must read

Need to get my hands on this, sounds great.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Mr Minor

Just finished this the other day.  Fun read.  And hits a good spot as it's about an English professor.

Good review of it here:
http://www.curledup.com/straight.htm

cactusfan

got this for xmas.
looks amazing.

MiamiPhish

I Am Charlotte Simmons

Tom Wolfe

birdman

Quote from: MiamiPhish on December 24, 2010, 09:11:27 PM
I Am Charlotte Simmons

Tom Wolfe
Read that a few years back. I went to Vanderbilt and it is pretty much identical to the school Wolfe describes.It really hit home for my wife and I.  Great read.
Paug FTMFW!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: birdman on December 24, 2010, 10:58:22 PM
I Am Charlotte Simmons

Tom Wolfe
Read that a few years back. I went to Vanderbilt and it is pretty much identical to the school Wolfe describes.It really hit home for my wife and I.  Great read.

"Vanderbilt... it even sounds expensive."
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

emay

Keith Richards Biography
My dad got it for me for christmas...first chapter is already entertaining

birdman

Quote from: PIE-GUY on December 25, 2010, 09:06:23 AM
I Am Charlotte Simmons

Tom Wolfe

You should read this if you haven't already. Take a trip in the time machine and go back and hate on frat boys and sorostitutes all over again.
Paug FTMFW!

sunrisevt

^^^My wife read it a couple years ago too, and she loved it.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

MiamiPhish

Supposed to be about Duke..

I went to Union College ('08) and it reminds me of that too - guess that's just college these days.

whyweigh5.0

I just started to read this

Zen monk and punk rocker Warner offers a "big snarly ball of confessional vomit" in his third book, following Hardcore Zen and Sit Down and Shut Up. The snarly ball is his own suffering, fodder for the Zen cushion: his mother's and grandmother's deaths, the dissolution of his marriage and lots of day-job insecurity when the Japanese monster-movie company he works for downsizes and gets sold. As ever, Warner is unafraid to smash idols, including his own celebrity status as a Zen master. "Not only am I not that thing, but no one is," he writes, and that means everybody from the Dalai Lama to fellow students of his Japanese teacher who disliked his being picked as the teacher's successor. Warner is honest—he would say his attitude is seeing things as they are, a Zen bent. Those familiar with his previous work will find this book exceptionally plainspoken and pungent, in keeping with his idiosyncratic vow "to be an a**hole for the rest of my life." That's a lot of honesty.
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

Mr Minor

Quote from: birdman on December 25, 2010, 09:41:48 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on December 25, 2010, 09:06:23 AM
I Am Charlotte Simmons

Tom Wolfe

You should read this if you haven't already. Take a trip in the time machine and go back and hate on frat boys and sorostitutes all over again.

Great novel!
It's like watching a trainwreck and not being able to look away.
The depth of description and details that Wolfe puts in his novels is awesome.

mbw

i'm usually a bit hesitant to begin reading his latest/posthumous books, thinking it might be the last of his writing that i get to read, but it looks like another one is coming out next year so i dove in.

fauxpaxfauxreal

just finished "freedom" by jonathon franzen..

about to read "Decision Points" by George Bush

gainesvillegreen

The Collected Stories of Lydia Davis.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.