News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aphineday

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on December 31, 2010, 03:01:21 PM
just finished "freedom" by jonathon franzen..

about to read "Decision Points" by George Bush
Funny, I just finished Decision Points, and am now halfway through Freedom. Franzen is the fucking man.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

phil

School Days by Patrick Chamoiseau.

I'm reading it for my interim (january term) class. The class is a two and a half week trip to Martinique and Guadeloupe. I get four credit hours simply for reading this book and then lying on a beach. Suck it bitches!
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

qop24

Some damn good articles in Playboy
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: aphineday on January 01, 2011, 12:37:26 AM

Funny, I just finished Decision Points, and am now halfway through Freedom. Franzen is the fucking man.

I was kinda underwhelmed by "Freedom".  I haven't read "The Corrections" yet, so I don't know how it stands up.

I thought that "Freedom" was a little bit more "fluffy" than I was expecting.

"Decision Points" is rather interesting.  Reading it, it's very easy for me to reconcile that the version of events projected by Bush is a credible point of view even though I would have handled things differently in his position and did desperately want him to have handled things differently as well.

It's funny, because reading the Bush Administration memoirs that are coming out, I think paints Condi Rice in a totally favorable light and even makes Karl Rove seem likeable.

I wonder if D. Cheney will ever get around to publishing his version of events.

aphineday

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on January 02, 2011, 06:20:20 PM
Quote from: aphineday on January 01, 2011, 12:37:26 AM

I was kinda underwhelmed by "Freedom".  I haven't read "The Corrections" yet, so I don't know how it stands up.

I thought that "Freedom" was a little bit more "fluffy" than I was expecting.

"Decision Points" is rather interesting.  Reading it, it's very easy for me to reconcile that the version of events projected by Bush is a credible point of view even though I would have handled things differently in his position and did desperately want him to have handled things differently as well.

It's funny, because reading the Bush Administration memoirs that are coming out, I think paints Condi Rice in a totally favorable light and even makes Karl Rove seem likeable.

I wonder if D. Cheney will ever get around to publishing his version of events.
I really liked The Corrections, and have really been enjoying Freedom. I can definitely see what you mean by fluff, though I'm not sure that's really fair. Franzen is incredibly descriptive, and as a result he gets painted in that light quite often. You are definitely not the first person I have heard this from, I just kind of enjoy his way of being so descriptive.
As for Bush, I guess the book certainly helps make him more of a person as opposed to a figure. That being said, even his mentality seems very fake to me as I read through the pages of the book. I'll have a better assessment of this after I complete it, but I'm not exactly blown away with new images of George W. Bush the person at the moment.
As for Condi, she is tremendously smart (as is Rove). Rove is a damn genius, and knows the political landscape better than just about anyone. I think he's a POS for the most part, but he's a genius. I'd read Cheney's memoir if he wrote it, I'm sure it would be entertaining to say the least.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

ph92

Why Your World Is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller

Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

fauxpaxfauxreal

Rove's pretty open about being a piece of shit really...

...I did sometimes get the "slimy" vibe from the Bush memoir...however...if he is great at one thing it's appearing ignorant as opposed to slimy...

I kind of end up believing Bush when he speaks of his own motivations as opposed to disbelieving him.

He seems too ignorant/arrogant to really even know to lie.

phil

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on January 04, 2011, 11:53:49 AM
Rove's pretty open about being a piece of shit really...

...I did sometimes get the "slimy" vibe from the Bush memoir...however...if he is great at one thing it's appearing ignorant as opposed to slimy...

I kind of end up believing Bush when he speaks of his own motivations as opposed to disbelieving him.

He seems too ignorant/arrogant to really even know to lie.

I think overall he ended up being a puppet. The movie "W" captures this pretty accurately.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

cactusfan

Quote from: cactusfan on December 24, 2010, 06:07:20 PM
got this for xmas.
looks amazing.

great book. and seeing how Empire is everyone's favorite movie around here, y'all might like it. full of behind the scenes photos and production drawings. it tells the story of the making of the movie in incredible detail, with lots of contemporary interviews.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Multibeast12

Quote from: cactusfan on January 11, 2011, 01:05:50 PM
got this for xmas.
looks amazing.

great book. and seeing how Empire is everyone's favorite movie around here, y'all might like it. full of behind the scenes photos and production drawings. it tells the story of the making of the movie in incredible detail, with lots of contemporary interviews.
Strikes my interest, and i do love the empire strikes back, A lot, but who doesn't. I think i'll check this out.

mbw

got this for xmas.
looks amazing.

great book. and seeing how Empire is everyone's favorite movie around here...

lol.  um, nooooooooooo!

StCarl

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 12, 2011, 01:44:23 AM
got this for xmas.
looks amazing.

great book. and seeing how Empire is everyone's favorite movie around here...

lol.  um, nooooooooooo!

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Quote from: McGrupp on January 25, 2011, 02:39:37 PM
your overall taste in phish shows perplexes me.

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: birdman on December 25, 2010, 09:41:48 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on December 25, 2010, 09:06:23 AM
Quote from: birdman on December 24, 2010, 10:58:22 PM
Quote from: MiamiPhish on December 24, 2010, 09:11:27 PM
I Am Charlotte Simmons

Tom Wolfe
Read that a few years back. I went to Vanderbilt and it is pretty much identical to the school Wolfe describes.It really hit home for my wife and I.  Great read.

"Vanderbilt... it even sounds expensive."
You should read this if you haven't already. Take a trip in the time machine and go back and hate on frat boys and prostitutes all over again.

Suggested I Am Charlotte Simmons to my book club and we're reading it for our next meeting.

Thanks for a great suggestion :-)

gah

Last post in here I was on Still Life w Woodpecker. Enjoyed it. Looking forward to my next Tom Robbins book.

Just finished Anthony Bourdain's A cook's Tour. Need to pick up Kitchen Confidential too. Hoping to see him in a few weeks when he comes around here. I don't knwo what to expect, a discussion? A Speech? Comedy?

Currently picked up The Alchemist (Coelho) and Ishmael (Quinn), both of which I've read before, but felt the need recently to revisit.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.