News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Life: The Keith Richards Autobiography

SPOILER ALERT:

He lives.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: Mr Minor on February 12, 2011, 08:01:37 AM
Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on February 11, 2011, 04:47:09 PM
Finished reading "I am Charlotte Simmons" by Tom Wolfe a couple of weeks back and I was a little underwhelmed by it. I think the story could have been told in less pages and I didn't like the lead character but overall I would say its a pretty good read.

Now I'm reading:

"The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (book club read)

The novel, set in post–Spanish Civil War Barcelona, concerns a young boy, Daniel Sempere. Just after the war, Daniel's father takes him to the secret Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a huge library of old, forgotten titles lovingly preserved by a select few initiates. According to tradition, everyone initiated to this secret place is allowed to take one book from it, and must protect it for life. Daniel selects a book called The Shadow of the Wind by Julián Carax. That night he takes the book home and reads it, completely engrossed. Daniel then attempts to look for other books by this unknown author, but can find none. All he comes across are stories of a strange man – calling himself Laín Coubert, after a character in the book who happens to be the Devil – who has been seeking out Carax's books for decades, buying them all and burning them.

Sorry Charlotte didn't live up to the hype.   :|  I liked it b/c I liked the basketball aspect of JoJo and the trainwreck of Charlotte's college experience.  Tom Wolfe is a stickler for detail, hence the many pages.  It's something you either love or can pass up.  I went on to read A Man In Full and loved it.  But again, lots of pages.  Of course, some say his best books are Bonfire of the Vanities and The Right Stuff.  Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is alright, but you have to be in the mood for it.  Not light reading by any means...

The Shadow of the Wind sounds interesting.  You will have to let me know how it is.

Finished "The Shadow of the Wind" this afternoon and I HIGHLY recommend it. The first half of the book was a little hard to get into but I had to find out where the book was going and couldn't walk away from the book without finishing it. The second half made it all worth it. There are a lot of twists and turns and just when you think you've figured stuff out it all changes on you. I would definitely pick the book up if you get a chance.

whatapiper

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Mr Minor

Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on February 20, 2011, 09:32:07 PM
Quote from: Mr Minor on February 12, 2011, 08:01:37 AM
Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on February 11, 2011, 04:47:09 PM
Finished reading "I am Charlotte Simmons" by Tom Wolfe a couple of weeks back and I was a little underwhelmed by it. I think the story could have been told in less pages and I didn't like the lead character but overall I would say its a pretty good read.

Now I'm reading:

"The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (book club read)

The novel, set in post–Spanish Civil War Barcelona, concerns a young boy, Daniel Sempere. Just after the war, Daniel's father takes him to the secret Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a huge library of old, forgotten titles lovingly preserved by a select few initiates. According to tradition, everyone initiated to this secret place is allowed to take one book from it, and must protect it for life. Daniel selects a book called The Shadow of the Wind by Julián Carax. That night he takes the book home and reads it, completely engrossed. Daniel then attempts to look for other books by this unknown author, but can find none. All he comes across are stories of a strange man – calling himself Laín Coubert, after a character in the book who happens to be the Devil – who has been seeking out Carax's books for decades, buying them all and burning them.

Sorry Charlotte didn't live up to the hype.   :|  I liked it b/c I liked the basketball aspect of JoJo and the trainwreck of Charlotte's college experience.  Tom Wolfe is a stickler for detail, hence the many pages.  It's something you either love or can pass up.  I went on to read A Man In Full and loved it.  But again, lots of pages.  Of course, some say his best books are Bonfire of the Vanities and The Right Stuff.  Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is alright, but you have to be in the mood for it.  Not light reading by any means...

The Shadow of the Wind sounds interesting.  You will have to let me know how it is.

Finished "The Shadow of the Wind" this afternoon and I HIGHLY recommend it. The first half of the book was a little hard to get into but I had to find out where the book was going and couldn't walk away from the book without finishing it. The second half made it all worth it. There are a lot of twists and turns and just when you think you've figured stuff out it all changes on you. I would definitely pick the book up if you get a chance.

Putting it on the list.

gah

Quote from: whatapiper on February 20, 2011, 10:15:08 PM
excellent story thus far

Awesome book. You're going to enjoy that. You definitely get caught in that world and it's almost sad when it comes to a close.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

phil

My behavioral neuroscience textbook...exam friday on the basics (cranial nerves, limbic system, basal ganglion, basal forebrain, HPA axis, neural signaling in its entirety, biosynthesis and effects of each neurotransmitter and neuropeptide)

Fuck. Me.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

fauxpaxfauxreal

I just read "O" by Anonymous.

I was a little underwhelmed by it.

iamhydroJen

Just finished "True Love" by  Thich Nhat Hanh.  I highly recommend it for a quick, inspiring read.
"Years later, I found out they'd signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.  The head of Decca, Dick Rowe, made a canny prediction: 'Guitar groups are on the way out, Mr. Epstein.'" - George Harrison

phuzzyfish12

I've been on a WWII kick lately so I'm currently reading:

I started it earlier this week and haven't been able to put it down.

Quote from: iamhydroJen on February 23, 2011, 10:32:36 PM
Just finished "True Love" by  Thich Nhat Hanh.  I highly recommend it for a quick, inspiring read.

Looks good, I added "You Are Here: Discovering the Magic of the Present Moment"  by Thich Nhat Hanh to my wish list.

natronzero

Quote from: iamhydroJen on February 23, 2011, 10:32:36 PM

My GF just gave me "Being Peace" (probably because I need it  :| :-)) but I haven't really gotten to it yet. I'll look for this one next.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

gah

Quote from: goodabouthood on January 26, 2011, 11:45:38 AM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 26, 2011, 11:40:33 AM
given your mutual likes of robbins and sake, you should read 'villa incognito.'

Solid. Added to my list of books to look for from the local used book shop I hit up.

Started this. Actually, was describing this to someone yesterday, yeah, it's about a badger thats floated down from this other world of animal ancestors, and he's parachuted down on his scrotum, cause it's so big, and drinks lots of sake and is a bit of a womanizer, and gets all these chicks pregnant...oh because he can transform to human form, kind of...and at this point i realized how ridiculous I sounded so changed the subject  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on February 24, 2011, 12:53:54 PM
I've been on a WWII kick lately so I'm currently reading:

Finished this earlier this week..if you have any interest in WW2 and want to learn even more about what happened in the far east during the war pick this book up.

I've read a lot on WW2, mostly on Germany and the Nazis but the crimes they committed pale in comparison to what the Japanese did to there own people, neighbouring countries and the Allied POWs.

From Laura Hillenbrand, the bestselling author of Seabiscuit, comes Unbroken, the inspiring true story of a man who lived through a series of catastrophes almost too incredible to be believed. In evocative, immediate descriptions, Hillenbrand unfurls the story of Louie Zamperini--a juvenile delinquent-turned-Olympic runner-turned-Army hero. During a routine search mission over the Pacific, Louie's plane crashed into the ocean, and what happened to him over the next three years of his life is a story that will keep you glued to the pages, eagerly awaiting the next turn in the story and fearing it at the same time. You'll cheer for the man who somehow maintained his selfhood and humanity despite the monumental degradations he suffered, and you'll want to share this book with everyone you know.

Multibeast12

Hey if anybody is a A Song of Ice and Fire Series fan, they announced that the next one will be out July 12th. Seems like a good story. Some of my friends rave about it. So i'm gonna check it out once i'm done with other stuff.

cactusfan

Quote from: Multibeast12 on March 03, 2011, 09:30:59 PM
Hey if anybody is a A Song of Ice and Fire Series fan, they announced that the next one will be out July 12th. Seems like a good story. Some of my friends rave about it. So i'm gonna check it out once i'm done with other stuff.

it's a brilliant series. and i generally hate that kind of stuff.

we've been waiting years for the new overdue book. finally it's coming!

and the HBO series adapting the first book starts airing in april.

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: Mr Minor on January 30, 2011, 11:39:33 AM
Quote from: birdman on January 29, 2011, 09:47:55 AM
Quote from: Mr Minor on January 29, 2011, 09:16:27 AM
Although it was an easy read, still a really cool story.

The Hunger Games

Recommend for anyone with middle school age kids that want to read a book with their kid.

Or for anyone that appreciates an interesting story that's just a fun read.

I loved this book. My daughter read it and recommended I read it. Really lots of fun, think S. Jackson's The Lottery combined with S. King's The Long Walk.
The next book in the series is ok. The third is downright horrible. Apparently a movie version is in the works. Hopefully they just stick to book I.

Yes!  I forgot about The Long Walk!  What a great short story.  I am going to have to go back and reread that.

I just started the 2nd book, and isn't looking good.

I imagine the movie version will be 'kid friendly' but could be so much better if they make it intense and more PG-13 ish.

Picked up "The Hunger Games" last Thursday and I'm pretty much done with already. Very good read, I was a little apprehensive at first based on the book description but its turned into a book I can't put down.

Even though it sounds like books 2 & 3 aren't great I might pick them up when I'm done to see how everything turns out.