News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Minor

Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on March 07, 2011, 01:31:22 PM
Quote from: Mr Minor on January 30, 2011, 11:39:33 AM
Quote from: birdman on January 29, 2011, 09:47:55 AM
Quote from: Mr Minor on January 29, 2011, 09:16:27 AM
Although it was an easy read, still a really cool story.

The Hunger Games

Recommend for anyone with middle school age kids that want to read a book with their kid.

Or for anyone that appreciates an interesting story that's just a fun read.

I loved this book. My daughter read it and recommended I read it. Really lots of fun, think S. Jackson's The Lottery combined with S. King's The Long Walk.
The next book in the series is ok. The third is downright horrible. Apparently a movie version is in the works. Hopefully they just stick to book I.

Yes!  I forgot about The Long Walk!  What a great short story.  I am going to have to go back and reread that.

I just started the 2nd book, and isn't looking good.

I imagine the movie version will be 'kid friendly' but could be so much better if they make it intense and more PG-13 ish.

Picked up "The Hunger Games" last Thursday and I'm pretty much done with already. Very good read, I was a little apprehensive at first based on the book description but its turned into a book I can't put down.

Even though it sounds like books 2 & 3 aren't great I might pick them up when I'm done to see how everything turns out.

I ended up really liking the 2nd and 3rd books.  Cool story, interesting conflicts.   Definitely finish the series.  Won't take long to bust through them.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: goodabouthood on March 02, 2011, 03:22:41 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on January 26, 2011, 11:45:38 AM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 26, 2011, 11:40:33 AM
given your mutual likes of robbins and sake, you should read 'villa incognito.'

Solid. Added to my list of books to look for from the local used book shop I hit up.

Started this. Actually, was describing this to someone yesterday, yeah, it's about a badger thats floated down from this other world of animal ancestors, and he's parachuted down on his scrotum, cause it's so big, and drinks lots of sake and is a bit of a womanizer, and gets all these chicks pregnant...oh because he can transform to human form, kind of...and at this point i realized how ridiculous I sounded so changed the subject  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

that's exactly how i've described it!  :-D

ok, let's see here..... since i've last been around these parts,

for me:
one flew over the cuckoo's nest - Kesey.... loved it all over again.
even cowgirls get the blues - Tom Robbins... made me want to hitch-hike the world.
the colorado kid - stephen king... was suggested to me, it was alright.

deja dead, devil bones, bones to ashes... and i'm currently on 206 bones - Kathy Reichs
         If you dig the show 'Bones' or medical examiners in general, you'll dig these books... it's not too detailed to gross you out, but it's fascinating of her examinations of bodies along with a little of her personal life and the crazy shit she always gets herself into.... i'm in school to be a P.A. but not what you're thinking, it's a Pathology Assistant... same as the P.A. you were thinking but on the laboratory side, i'd like to be a M.E.'s assistant or a coroner... hence the reason i'm in love with these books.... Break No Bones is anxiously awaiting me next to my bed after i finish 206 bones  :-D  and there's like 10 more for me to read, plus she's still writing!!!!

ok, and now onto school readings:

Beowulf - Anon.      ...i've always enjoyed this story. so it was nice to read it in a college setting, and my teacher despised the movie :)
Le Morte D'Arthur - Sir Thomas Malory          ...typical King Arthur stuff, we only read bits and pieces but i always enjoy medieval stuffs...
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight - Anon.    ...Quick, easy read if you dig medieval stuff with a little magic in there.
The Inferno - Dante    .... i dearly love this book.... so much that i now listen to it, Paradiso and Purgatorio in the car driving to work  :-D hello, my name's                                     mandi and i'm a HUGE nerd.
Doctor Faustus - Christopher Marlowe    ..... loved it.
The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli    .... hated it. i want my weekend back.
Hamlet - Shakespeare       ..... Hamlet plays a great nut. i've always liked this play...

now we're onto Macbeth and Othello to round out the Quarter. Renaissance Lit has been an interesting endeavor.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

gah

^^^ That's too much lady. You clearly haven't been partying enough.  :wink:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on March 07, 2011, 10:52:03 PM

Solid. Added to my list of books to look for from the local used book shop I hit up.

Started this. Actually, was describing this to someone yesterday, yeah, it's about a badger thats floated down from this other world of animal ancestors, and he's parachuted down on his scrotum, cause it's so big, and drinks lots of sake and is a bit of a womanizer, and gets all these chicks pregnant...oh because he can transform to human form, kind of...and at this point i realized how ridiculous I sounded so changed the subject  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

for me:
even cowgirls get the blues - Tom Robbins... made me want to hitch-hike the world.

deja dead, devil bones, bones to ashes... and i'm currently on 206 bones - Kathy Reichs
         If you dig the show 'Bones' or medical examiners in general, you'll dig these books... it's not too detailed to gross you out, but it's fascinating of her examinations of bodies along with a little of her personal life and the crazy shit she always gets herself into.... i'm in school to be a P.A. but not what you're thinking, it's a Pathology Assistant... same as the P.A. you were thinking but on the laboratory side, i'd like to be a M.E.'s assistant or a coroner... hence the reason i'm in love with these books.... Break No Bones is anxiously awaiting me next to my bed after i finish 206 bones  :-D  and there's like 10 more for me to read, plus she's still writing!!!!

Beowulf - Anon.      ...i've always enjoyed this story. so it was nice to read it in a college setting, and my teacher despised the movie :)
Le Morte D'Arthur - Sir Thomas Malory          ...typical King Arthur stuff, we only read bits and pieces but i always enjoy medieval stuffs...
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight - Anon.    ...Quick, easy read if you dig medieval stuff with a little magic in there.
The Inferno - Dante    .... i dearly love this book.... so much that i now listen to it, Paradiso and Purgatorio in the car driving to work  :-D hello, my name's                                     mandi and i'm a HUGE nerd.
Hamlet - Shakespeare       ..... Hamlet plays a great nut. i've always liked this play...

now we're onto Macbeth and Othello to round out the Quarter. Renaissance Lit has been an interesting endeavor.

Deja Dead and Even Cowgirls Get the Blues added to my reading list. :-)

alcoholandcoffeebeans

^^ NICE!

Quote from: goodabouthood on March 08, 2011, 10:11:26 AM

oh hai.
i'm mandi, have we met?

i ALWAYS have time to party  :angel:
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

gah

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on March 08, 2011, 12:19:18 PM
^^ NICE!

Quote from: goodabouthood on March 08, 2011, 10:11:26 AM

oh hai.
i'm mandi, have we met?

i ALWAYS have time to party  :angel:

Don't I know it! Get down girl!

sprobeck

In the Presence of Mine Enemies: The Civil War in the Heart of America by Edward L. Ayers. This is partly for school, partly because I'm going to a few civil war sites during my break coming up. Good so far!
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

iamhydroJen

for me:

Mandi, I'm reading Hamlet for a second time and am about to start writing a paper about Ophelia and how flowers are associated with her, their significance in relation to life and birth, etc.  It's going to go deeper than that obviously, but let me know if you have any insight!  :-)
"Years later, I found out they'd signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.  The head of Decca, Dick Rowe, made a canny prediction: 'Guitar groups are on the way out, Mr. Epstein.'" - George Harrison

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: iamhydroJen on March 08, 2011, 01:55:16 PM

for me:

Mandi, I'm reading Hamlet for a second time and am about to start writing a paper about Ophelia and how flowers are associated with her, their significance in relation to life and birth, etc.  It's going to go deeper than that obviously, but let me know if you have any insight!  :-)

"they got your number, scared and running... but i'm still waiting for the second coming..."

sweet idea for a paper. I think she's totally a murky character like Gertrude.  beautiful part written for a male actor, tho. you got to look at her two different ways... her father and brother saw her as a virgin, ehhh like a vessel of morality who was to be a wonderful wife and steadfast mother. on the other hand, Hamlet saw her only sexually and kind of a deceitful lover. she has a beautiful sense of renaissance romanticism, tho, that rules her daily. her shitty dilemma with  the whole Polonius deal makes her crazy. she's almost bipolar really, because she tries to live one life, picks the other and is never able to retain equilibrium. in the end, her madness never allows her to heal.
modern day Ophelia? = anorexic or severely depressed woman.

(can you tell i had to write about her in my class, too?  :wink:)

hope that helps! let me know if you need anything else!

alcoholandcoffeebeans

oh oh, as a continuum of that stuff above... i'm in class and it just came to me...

in act 4, scene 5.... in my book it's line 179... it's imagery/talk with Ophelia and flowers.

the distribution of flowers in the ensuing lines has symbolic meaning, but the meaning is disputed....
the footnote here calls what she talks of Fennel may be flattery, columbines is cuckoldry, rue is sorrow of Ophelia and repentance for the Queen, daisy's are dissembling and violets are faithfulness...

it says to also check out J.W.Lever in Review of English Studies new series 3, p. 123-129

iamhydroJen

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on March 09, 2011, 10:48:02 AM
oh oh, as a continuum of that stuff above... i'm in class and it just came to me...

in act 4, scene 5.... in my book it's line 179... it's imagery/talk with Ophelia and flowers.

the distribution of flowers in the ensuing lines has symbolic meaning, but the meaning is disputed....
the footnote here calls what she talks of Fennel may be flattery, columbines is cuckoldry, rue is sorrow of Ophelia and repentance for the Queen, daisy's are dissembling and violets are faithfulness...

it says to also check out J.W.Lever in Review of English Studies new series 3, p. 123-129

Thank you for all of the help!

I have a lot of quotes about flowers being mentioned, including that... now I just need to read into the deeper meaning associated with them and find that source from the footnotes!!
"Years later, I found out they'd signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.  The head of Decca, Dick Rowe, made a canny prediction: 'Guitar groups are on the way out, Mr. Epstein.'" - George Harrison

gah

Quote from: iamhydroJen on March 09, 2011, 11:20:33 AM
Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on March 09, 2011, 10:48:02 AM

Thank you for all of the help!

I have a lot of quotes about flowers being mentioned, including that... now I just need to read into the deeper meaning associated with them and find that source from the footnotes!!

aacb IS the footnotes...

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: goodabouthood on March 09, 2011, 11:27:40 AM
aacb IS the footnotes...

Totally not cool to make fun of her height like that.... :evil:

alcoholandcoffeebeans

gah