News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on April 30, 2011, 07:09:29 PM
Yeah, they never really answered those questions.  Like I said, that wasn't really the point from my standpoint.

I think he just wanted you to fill in those sorts of "details" on your own.  Or just to give you something to think about.

I haven't read the book in question, and I haven't read Stephen King in 15 years or more, but this does sound like him - he brackets the writing in such a way that you do have to bring something to his work. Does phuzzy have a point? I think she does - by such bracketing, he can come off as lazy (in the psychological sense, obviously his output is incredible and he must spend 8 hours a day everyday slumped over a typewriter, or something like it).

That being said, if the answers were provided to phuzzy's questions, would there be anything less to think about?
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

fauxpaxfauxreal

It's a novella tho, he only had so much room to work with.

Answering those questions would have added nothing but tedium to the work, imo.

Mr Minor

Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on February 20, 2011, 09:32:07 PM
Quote from: Mr Minor on February 12, 2011, 08:01:37 AM
Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on February 11, 2011, 04:47:09 PM
Finished reading "I am Charlotte Simmons" by Tom Wolfe a couple of weeks back and I was a little underwhelmed by it. I think the story could have been told in less pages and I didn't like the lead character but overall I would say its a pretty good read.

Now I'm reading:

"The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (book club read)

The novel, set in post–Spanish Civil War Barcelona, concerns a young boy, Daniel Sempere. Just after the war, Daniel's father takes him to the secret Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a huge library of old, forgotten titles lovingly preserved by a select few initiates. According to tradition, everyone initiated to this secret place is allowed to take one book from it, and must protect it for life. Daniel selects a book called The Shadow of the Wind by Julián Carax. That night he takes the book home and reads it, completely engrossed. Daniel then attempts to look for other books by this unknown author, but can find none. All he comes across are stories of a strange man – calling himself Laín Coubert, after a character in the book who happens to be the Devil – who has been seeking out Carax's books for decades, buying them all and burning them.

Sorry Charlotte didn't live up to the hype.   :|  I liked it b/c I liked the basketball aspect of JoJo and the trainwreck of Charlotte's college experience.  Tom Wolfe is a stickler for detail, hence the many pages.  It's something you either love or can pass up.  I went on to read A Man In Full and loved it.  But again, lots of pages.  Of course, some say his best books are Bonfire of the Vanities and The Right Stuff.  Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is alright, but you have to be in the mood for it.  Not light reading by any means...

The Shadow of the Wind sounds interesting.  You will have to let me know how it is.

Finished "The Shadow of the Wind" this afternoon and I HIGHLY recommend it. The first half of the book was a little hard to get into but I had to find out where the book was going and couldn't walk away from the book without finishing it. The second half made it all worth it. There are a lot of twists and turns and just when you think you've figured stuff out it all changes on you. I would definitely pick the book up if you get a chance.

Finished The Shadow of the Wind this morning.

Such a great story.  Turning point/falling action was amazing!

Thanks for the recommendation!
Ironically, my dad dropped off Art of Racing the other day.  Phuzzy, you and I are definitely on the same page with some great books lately.  I will  have some recommendations for you soon.

phuzzyfish12

^^^ Glad you enjoyed it Mr. Minor. Can't wait for some recommendations.

cactusfan

The Crossing, Cormac McCarthy.

one of the better ones i've read of his. i always love the writing. but for me nothing has come even close to Blood Meridian, which i thought was just completely brilliant.

Hicks

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on April 30, 2011, 10:42:59 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on April 30, 2011, 07:09:29 PM
Yeah, they never really answered those questions.  Like I said, that wasn't really the point from my standpoint.

I think he just wanted you to fill in those sorts of "details" on your own.  Or just to give you something to think about.

I haven't read the book in question, and I haven't read Stephen King in 15 years or more, but this does sound like him - he brackets the writing in such a way that you do have to bring something to his work. Does phuzzy have a point? I think she does - by such bracketing, he can come off as lazy (in the psychological sense, obviously his output is incredible and he must spend 8 hours a day everyday slumped over a typewriter, or something like it).

That being said, if the answers were provided to phuzzy's questions, would there be anything less to think about?

Would The Road have been as powerful if we knew what brought about the apocalypse?

I think not.

Reading is about using your imagination and the best authors force you to fill the blanks with your own interpretation.

Hell the best art in general does that.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Multibeast12

Now that classes will be done soon. More reading!!!!!!  :banana:

phil

Quote from: Multibeast12 on May 02, 2011, 07:21:01 PM
Now that classes will be done soon. More reading!!!!!!  :banana:

Looking forward to this, I still have almost three weeks until graduation though
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

DoW

intelligent reading came in the mail today

Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

phuzzyfish12

I'm responsible for my book clubs book selection this month and I'm looking for some ideas.

The last 3 books we read:

The Shadow of the Wind
The Hunger Games
The Art of Racing in the Rain

The only requirement is that the book is that it is less then 500 pages.

Greatly appreciate any suggestions.

mistercharlie

Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on May 06, 2011, 03:15:05 PM
I'm responsible for my book clubs book selection this month and I'm looking for some ideas.

The Shadow of the Wind
The Hunger Games

If you just read The Hunger Games, you should pick Mockingjay it's the next book in the series.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Multibeast12

Always thought The Hunger Game was for kids......but I keep seeing it coming up everywhere. Would you guys recommend it?

Also just read The Wind and the Willows. I love that book. It's always been one a favorite of mine.

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: mistercharlie on May 06, 2011, 03:39:27 PM

The Shadow of the Wind
The Hunger Games

If you just read The Hunger Games, you should pick Mockingjay it's the next book in the series.

Thanks! My fault I should have said the group blew through all 3 books in the series.

Multibeast: The book is for young adults. I would recommend the whole series though.

whatthecello42

cactusfan

The Shadow of the Wind
The Hunger Games

here's four great books good for plenty of discussion that come to mind:

Kurt Vonnegut - The Sirens of Titan
Paul Bowles - The Sheltering Sky
Raymond Chandler - The Long Goodbye
John Wyndham - The Day of The Triffids