News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Multibeast12

Love Chandler. The Big Sleep is incredible.

I say the Maltese Falcon as a recommendation.

Mr Minor

Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on May 06, 2011, 03:55:00 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on May 06, 2011, 03:39:27 PM
Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on May 06, 2011, 03:15:05 PM
I'm responsible for my book clubs book selection this month and I'm looking for some ideas.

The last 3 books we read:

The Shadow of the Wind
The Hunger Games
The Art of Racing in the Rain

The only requirement is that the book is that it is less then 500 pages.

Greatly appreciate any suggestions.

If you just read The Hunger Games, you should pick Mockingjay it's the next book in the series.

Thanks! My fault I should have said the group blew through all 3 books in the series.

Multibeast: The book is for young adults. I would recommend the whole series though.

I would suggest The Road or No Country for Old Men.

Another one would be The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

If you want something easy but super interesting, you could also read Life of Pi.

John Irving- The World According to Garp (might be more than 500 pages though).  Otherwise Hotel New Hampshire, Setting Free the Bears, or The Fourth Hand.  Irving is my favorite author, so i am a little biased.

whyweigh5.0

Finished up Everything Is Illuminated this morning.  Great book.  Now I don't know what to start on :?
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

Multibeast12

If anybody is looking for something awesome to read order War with the Newts. Some crazy Czech science fiction. it's my next book to read. can't wait to read it.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: whyweigh5.0 on May 06, 2011, 07:37:41 PM
Finished up Everything Is Illuminated this morning.  Great book.  Now I don't know what to start on :?

If you are in the mood for more heartwrenching tragic tales, check out "Little Bee" by Chris Cleve.

whyweigh5.0

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

whyweigh5.0

and I wish that I didn't lose my copy of On The Road.  A while ago I bought it and never even cracked it open before I lost it :?  Forgot about that until just now.  I wonder where it went... or who took it

Mr Minor

Quote from: whyweigh5.0 on May 07, 2011, 09:34:37 AM
and I wish that I didn't lose my copy of On The Road.  A while ago I bought it and never even cracked it open before I lost it :?  Forgot about that until just now.  I wonder where it went... or who took it

Probably hitched a ride out west...
:|

/terrible joke, i know.

phuzzyfish12

Thanks everyone for the book ideas. I'm narrowing it down to 3 choices for my book club to pick from this weekend.

fauxpaxfauxreal

I'm reading _The Pale King_ by David Foster Wallace.

I love the writing.  However, it is very lacking when it comes to any type of "narrative" or story.

Hicks

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 10, 2011, 11:51:04 AM

I love the writing.  However, it is very lacking when it comes to any type of "narrative" or story.

Not too surprising considering his notes were found in completely random order after his death.

I definitely want to read it though.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

cactusfan

yeah, i'm curious, but i'll wait for the paperback.

currently reading Ada by Nabokov.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Hicks on May 10, 2011, 11:59:11 AM

Not too surprising considering his notes were found in completely random order after his death.

I definitely want to read it though.

Yeah, I know.  The writing is however, nowhere near the level of genius of Infinite Jest.  Also, the humor is there in flashes, but isn't even up to the level of "The Broom of The System".

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on April 25, 2011, 11:08:32 PM
the Demonology of King James....

this has been pretty interesting so far... from what i can make out of seeing double over the past 2 days...
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

MiamiPhish

I'm reading DFW too - my first time reading his work.  "Consider the Lobster" is the name of the collection of essays I'm reading.