News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on May 12, 2011, 09:53:27 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on May 11, 2011, 10:06:01 AM
Quote from: Hicks on May 10, 2011, 07:16:42 PM
Infinite Jest is probably the best book I've ever read. 

Broom of the System is good too.

I remember that McCain piece, it was great, doesn't change the fact that he was replaced by a cylon in 2004.

:-o Might have to add that to my queue...

def.  thanks for the recommendation faux and hicks!  ordered the ink on paper version.

heh, ditto... i need a beach book because by the time i go i'll be done with the two i'm reading now...

thanks!
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

postjack

Quote from: Multibeast12 on May 06, 2011, 04:43:21 PM
Love Chandler. The Big Sleep is incredible.

I say the Maltese Falcon as a recommendation.

Reading The Big Sleep now per your recommendation. just the kind of thing I want to read now, really enjoying it.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

whyweigh5.0

Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on May 11, 2011, 10:22:28 AM
Quote from: whyweigh5.0 on May 11, 2011, 10:09:55 AM
Decided to go with this one

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/devilinthewhitecity/home.html

I was thinking about picking this one up also, love to hear what you think about it once you finish reading it.

I'm about 3/4 through this one and I am enjoying it.  It focuses a lot on the preparations of the worlds fair.  Planning and execution.  Lots of architecture talk.  But it's not boring... at least not for me.  I'd recommend it.  I like how it's all true too.  Lots of little interesting facts throughout
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

sls.stormyrider

^^read that one a while ago also. really enjoyed it.

right now this one - which might explain my post in last album(s) listened to
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mattstick

I wanted something trashy for the long weekend we just had...

It's a little long, the drug stories are plentiful, and it's definitely trashy.

zimbra

Since classes have been done I have been reading so much more and I'm loving it.  This 2 books a week pace is great!  I have never read any of the Gonzo papers so on Sunday I borrowed "The Great Shark Hunt" from Lifeboy.  Pretty entertaining read, it's hilarious. 
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Multibeast12

Quote from: postjack on May 19, 2011, 02:43:55 PM

Reading The Big Sleep now per your recommendation. just the kind of thing I want to read now, really enjoying it.
Great book. Also the movie with Humphrey Bogart is amazing as well. I went through a period of hardboiled detective books.

postjack

Quote from: Multibeast12 on May 24, 2011, 05:43:55 PM
Quote from: postjack on May 19, 2011, 02:43:55 PM

Great book. Also the movie with Humphrey Bogart is amazing as well. I went through a period of hardboiled detective books.

Bogart is in the movie? Super sweet, I'll have to check it out when I'm done.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

runawayjimbo

Everything and More: A Compact History of Infinity - David Foster Wallace

I just started this and I've never read DFW before, but it's already obvious to me why I've read such good reviews on some of his other works here. His style has a way of communicating a very complex concept so simply and directly. If you hate math, this might be a tough read but there is also some pretty interesting insight with regard to logic and abstract thought.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

cactusfan

Quote from: runawayjimbo on June 03, 2011, 12:52:10 PM
Everything and More: A Compact History of Infinity - David Foster Wallace

I just started this and I've never read DFW before, but it's already obvious to me why I've read such good reviews on some of his other works here. His style has a way of communicating a very complex concept so simply and directly. If you hate math, this might be a tough read but there is also some pretty interesting insight with regard to logic and abstract thought.

nice!

my favorite book of his. but then in general i like his non-fiction better than his fiction.
this book rules.

iamhydroJen

Read this in 3 days!  Kind of creepy, but great book.  Definitely looking forward to reading the next two
"Years later, I found out they'd signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.  The head of Decca, Dick Rowe, made a canny prediction: 'Guitar groups are on the way out, Mr. Epstein.'" - George Harrison

tet

just finished this:

and am now onto this:

i'm finding that i really love conspiratorial thrillers and such...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

fauxpaxfauxreal

I just read this.  It has a similar plotline to what happened on 9/11.  I wonder if this book inspired the terrorists.

postjack

Quote from: iamhydroJen on June 03, 2011, 11:06:50 PM

Read this in 3 days!  Kind of creepy, but great book.  Definitely looking forward to reading the next two

i'm reading this one now. also just saw the trailer this weekend at the movies, looks cool.

i know i'm going to enjoy a book when i'm completely enthralled in the writing, even though nothing is really going on. this happened early in the book, and now that things are happening, combined with the high quality of the writing, makes for a really great reading experience.

tet

Quote from: postjack on June 07, 2011, 12:22:50 PM

i'm reading this one now. also just saw the trailer this weekend at the movies, looks cool.

i know i'm going to enjoy a book when i'm completely enthralled in the writing, even though nothing is really going on. this happened early in the book, and now that things are happening, combined with the high quality of the writing, makes for a really great reading experience.

yeah, it's real quality - you'll quickly head into the 2nd and 3rd books after you finish this, i guarantee you - they only get better and better!!
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish