News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Casey Lenahan

twilight the 3rd book. I enjoy the series !
I owe Aug $20

Mr Minor

Quote from: tehdead on September 03, 2011, 01:32:13 AM

I didn't realize you were a 14 yr old girl.

:evil:

gah

Quote from: Mr Minor on September 03, 2011, 05:09:50 PM
Quote from: tehdead on September 03, 2011, 01:32:13 AM

I didn't realize you were a 14 yr old girl.

:evil:

HA!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Mr. Natural

Quote from: Multibeast12 on September 02, 2011, 12:42:57 PM
Quote from: barnesy305 on September 01, 2011, 05:25:19 PM
Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on September 01, 2011, 11:11:11 AM
Quote from: barnesy305 on August 31, 2011, 11:53:18 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on August 31, 2011, 11:33:22 PM

Just finished it myself.
Read it right after the Gorge shows. I wish there could be a video of some of those funky musical exercises they do/did. Reading about them is one thing, but I'd love to watch & hear them.
Gave me a few shows to track down, too.
I hadn't known about TRACKING (that video Mike edited about the making of HOIST) - which is kickass. Thanks, youTube.
I read that over Christmas this past year. What'd you think?

I enjoyed it.

I really liked it, it seemed to be pretty honest and legit.
I can echo those sentiments. Great book. super easy read. read it in two 8 hour shifts in the Food Court where i work.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Mr. Natural on September 06, 2011, 11:58:28 AM

Just finished it myself.
Read it right after the Gorge shows. I wish there could be a video of some of those funky musical exercises they do/did. Reading about them is one thing, but I'd love to watch & hear them.
I hadn't known about TRACKING (that video Mike edited about the making of HOIST) - which is kickass. Thanks, youTube.

I enjoyed it.

I can echo those sentiments. Great book. super easy read. read it in two 8 hour shifts in the Food Court where i work.

It's a think-piece about a mid-level band struggling with their limitations in the harsh face of stardom.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

natronzero

I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

barnesy305

Quote from: PIE-GUY on September 06, 2011, 06:36:49 PM

Just finished it myself.

I enjoyed it.

It's a think-piece about a mid-level band struggling with their limitations in the harsh face of stardom.

I like what we're saying.

Mr. Natural

Been sort of on my list, sort of on the backburner since I read all the mentions it gets in BE HERE NOW. Several interesting and useful points, I thought; but they are pretty spread out - being it's a 400+ page Russian book, I should have assumed that going in. It's worth working out in your own notebook if you really want to study it - charts and categories to look at your thoughts, actions and emotions.
There have been a few postulations I flat-out disagree with, which is cool and challenging. I'm only 130 pages in so far, but a couple other books came in (my first InterLibrary Loans!) so I'll probably put this one down for a little while.
The philosophies are presented as second-hand lectures, and they would all make for good discussion-starters if you have a discussion group or circle of 'seeker' friends.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: barnesy305 on September 11, 2011, 10:34:53 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on September 06, 2011, 06:36:49 PM

Just finished it myself.

I enjoyed it.

I like what we're saying.

Same here. Makes me look at the band in a different way now.

Just finished Bossypants by Tina Fey - mehtastic at best.

Reading "Game of Thrones" right now. Took a little while to get into, but really starting to enjoy it now (150 pages into the book).

gainesvillegreen

Bruce Machart
The Wake Of Forgiveness

On a moonless Texas night in 1895, an ambitious young landowner suffers the loss of "the only woman he's ever been fond of" when his wife dies during childbirth with the couple's fourth boy, Karel. From an early age Karel proves so talented on horseback that his father enlists him to ride in acreage-staked horseraces against his neighbors. But Karel is forever haunted by thoughts of the mother he never knew, by the bloodshot blame in his father's eyes, and permanently marked by the yoke he and his brothers are forced to wear to plow the family fields. Confident only in the saddle, Karel is certain that the horse "wants the whip the same way he wants his pop's strap . . . the closest he ever gets to his father's touch." In the winter of 1910, Karel rides in the ultimate high-stakes race against a powerful Spanish patriarch and his alluring daughters. Hanging in the balance are his father's fortune, his brother's futures, and his own fate. Fourteen years later, with the stake of the race still driven hard between him and his brothers, Karel is finally forced to dress the wounds of his past and to salvage the tattered fabric of his family.

Reminiscent of Kent Haruf's portrayals of hope amidst human heartbreak and Cormac McCarthy's finely hewn evocations of the American Southwest, Bruce Machart's striking debut is as well wrought as it is riveting. It compels us to consider the inescapable connections between sons and their mothers, between landscape and family, and between remembrance and redemption.

I don't know about the Haruf link, as I've never read him, but the only thing this writer has in common with McCarthy is some of their books take place in Texas.

Commercial:

From the L.A. Times:
Yet Bruce Machart's "The Wake of Forgiveness" is also Greek tragedy, art based on universal human suffering, joy and pain. It is an extraordinary novel in which the characters are watched and not just by their author or their readers. The clouds in the dramatic Texas sky beat out the time; the trees look down on the action and pronounce their moral judgments, and the moon, well, the moon holds the long view. The moon in so many scenes is the calm, the wise antidote to the crazy human drama unfolding below. It is a rare novel that makes a reader feel he has fallen through a crack in the earth and is swimming in the subconscious aquifer. How did he do it?

That's a little purple, but it has been a good read so far. Recommended. Especially if you like horses in your fiction.

Also reading short stories by Alice Munro and Tobias Wolff.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

nab

Mining Archaeology in the American West

Don Hardesty

The utility of archaeology is poorly understood in our society.  Part of the problem is that its relationship with history is ambiguous, even for scholars.  Part of the problem is that what archaeologists do is poorly understood by those outside the discipline.  Yet another part of the problem is that archaeological data interpretation is rooted in statistical analysis, and as such, is subject to the well known problems of statistical interpretation, even manipulation.

That is one of the reasons I like books like this so much.

So often the industrial landscape is written off as one of the mistakes of humankind.  And why not?  The price paid by the environment is easy to quantify outside of the human community, through such things as loss of species number in a given mined area.

What is less quantifiable, and certainly more open to political conversation, is how industrial landscapes affect human beings; both those that create those landscapes and those that interpret their aftermath.   

mistercharlie

Just started reading this this morning.

Jack Kerouac - Dr. Sax

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Mr Minor

The Waste Lands

Flying through these books.  Forgot how good they were/are.

gah

Just got Taibbi's Griftopia yesterday. Already hooked...

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

ph92

Just started reading this on my kindle this morning.

It is the start of a long line of spiritual/psychoactive substance books im gonna read. Some others
DMT: The Spirit Molocule
The Doors of Perception
The Tibetan Book of the Dead (I just grabbed the penguin translation)
Be Here Now
Be Love Now

This year I want to look into myself and figure out how I can change my lifestyle so I can control my anxiety and depression without the help of pharmaceuticals
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH