News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil

"The Best of the Kudzu Telegraph"  by John Lane.

An english and environmental science professor I took in college. It's a collection of some of the best editions of his syndicated news paper column. If you like the south and you're environmentally conscious, you'd like this guy.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

Buffalo Budd

I got 'Life' by Keith Richards for Christmas and am about 100 pages in.
Love it.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

birdman

Fun read.

Ive been getting interested in reading about the years my father spent in Vietnam. Both of these books blew me away.
The guy that wrote Dispatches helped work on both Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket. Many of his anecdotes and some characters make it into both movies.
Phiip Caputo won the Pulitzer for his book and, oddly enough, is the father of a friend of mine from boarding school.
Paug FTMFW!

mbw

Finished 'child of god' by cormac maccarthy.
fun little read, if you like stories about necrophiliac southern hill jacks... and who doesn't?

birdman

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 02, 2012, 09:08:34 PM
Finished 'child of god' by cormac maccarthy.
fun little read, if you like stories about necrophiliac southern hill jacks... and who doesn't?
You had me sold at necrophiliac.
Paug FTMFW!

sls.stormyrider

Keef's book is a blast
Omnivore's Dilemma is a good book, but got me angry.

Speaking of getting angry, I have a hard time with reading about Nam. just gets me upset and pissed off.

Right now I'm reading Steve Jobs biography. enjoying it so far - he's been joining communes, going to India, meditating, etc.
One of my best friend's brother is the exact same age and did a lot of the same stuff around then. except he didn't go on to form one of the most successful companies in history.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

shoreline99

Quote from: birdman on January 02, 2012, 08:58:25 PM
Ive been getting interested in reading about the years my father spent in Vietnam. Both of these books blew me away.
The guy that wrote Dispatches helped work on both Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket. Many of his anecdotes and some characters make it into both movies.
Phiip Caputo won the Pulitzer for his book and, oddly enough, is the father of a friend of mine from boarding school.

Read this one. Friend gave it to me. It's about one guy's [armored cav] experiences leading up to and during the Tet.

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

mehead

Quote from: birdman on January 02, 2012, 08:58:25 PM

Fun read.

Cool.  Might be the only book of his I haven't read.  I'll have to get my hands on this one.

Right now, I'm reading the following...

My wife bought the series and said it was awesome so I gave it a shot.  This is the third of the 3 book series.  It's very good.  The first book is being released as a movie, in March I think.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

mbw

Quote from: mehead on January 04, 2012, 05:06:20 PM

My wife bought the series and said it was awesome so I gave it a shot.  This is the third of the 3 book series.  It's very good.  The first book is being released as a movie, in March I think.

my special lady friend just finished this series and was trying to get me into it.
it sounded a little too 'young adult-y' for me.

if it gets the mehead seal of approval i might just give it a go.

mbw

oh, and btw, infinite jest was the most tedious thing i have ever read.
i only got through about 300 pages, and by the skin of my teeth.

the thought of having to read another 400 was torturous, so i happily set it down.

shoreline99

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 04, 2012, 06:04:24 PM
oh, and btw, infinite jest was the most tedious thing i have ever read.
i only got through about 300 pages, and by the skin of my teeth.

the thought of having to read another 400 was torturous, so i happily set it down.

Glad I'm not the only one. I was happy to return it to the library unfinished.

mehead

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 04, 2012, 06:02:21 PM

my special lady friend just finished this series and was trying to get me into it.

Iwas thinking the same way and it did take some convincing to get me to read them.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

runawayjimbo

Quote from: mehead on January 05, 2012, 09:37:26 AM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 04, 2012, 06:02:21 PM

Iwas thinking the same way and it did take some convincing to get me to read them.

Ha, my wife just tore through the first book and told me I had to read them too. I responded in similar "young adult-y" fashion, but maybe I'll give it a shot.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

birdman

I really enjoyed the whole hunger games trilogy. The first book was the best in the series. Def worth the 2 or 3 nights it takes to read.
Paug FTMFW!

shoreline99

Quote from: runawayjimbo on January 05, 2012, 09:46:58 AM
Ha, my wife just tore through the first book and told me I had to read them too. I responded in similar "young adult-y" fashion, but maybe I'll give it a shot.

My wife read them last summer. I just went and watched the running man instead.