News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lifeboy

Quote from: mehead on April 24, 2012, 06:55:19 PM
Started this yesterday and should finish it up tonight.  We own pretty much everything King has written yet I have never started this series.  Here we goooo......

I started this one a while back, but still haven't finished it. I left in at a buddys house about an hour away, so I went ahead and started 'Ender's Game', which is also great. I'll probably start reading it again once I finished the one I'm on meow.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

birdman

Quote from: Lifeboy on April 24, 2012, 07:22:36 PM
Started this yesterday and should finish it up tonight.  We own pretty much everything King has written yet I have never started this series.  Here we goooo......

I started this one a while back, but still haven't finished it. I left in at a buddys house about an hour away, so I went ahead and started 'Ender's Game', which is also great. I'll probably start reading it again once I finished the one I'm on meow.

You guys should be psyched about the journey you're departing on.
Paug FTMFW!

mistercharlie

The Wind Through The Keyhole by Stephen King

Dark Tower book 4.5!!! It came yesterday but I didn't see the box on the porch until today.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

zimbra

I know I'm a little behind but read the first installment of Steig Larsson's trilogy.  Watching the swedish movie right now then starting the second book tonight with a little Hop Czar.

ETA:  I thought the book was outstanding btw.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

emay

I wanna read Dark Tower Series and the Enders Games this summer...dont know which to start yet.
Dont know much about the enders games.

Lifeboy

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on April 27, 2012, 06:12:39 PM
I wanna read Dark Tower Series and the Enders Games this summer...dont know which to start yet.

I didn't know shit about Enders Game, nor had I even heard of it prior to my buddy named Google showing me the best Sci-Fi books of all time. This was near the top of the list, and sounded the most intriguing, so I went to Hastings and bought it.

Definitely don't regret dishing out the 12 bucks or whatever it cost, because it's fucking awesome so far. Highly recommended.

And as for The Dark Tower series, as I stated earlier, I'm only about 1/4 into The Gunslinger, but I can already tell it's going to be a fucking awesome read, and make me drop everything else and read the other books.

So you can't really go wrong with either, but if I were you I would probably start with the Dark Tower series.

Also,

Quote from: birdman on April 25, 2012, 08:00:12 PM
Quote from: Lifeboy on April 24, 2012, 07:22:36 PM

You guys should be psyched about the journey you're departing on.

Quote from: Lifeboy on April 27, 2012, 06:19:54 PM
I'm only about 1/4 into The Gunslinger, but I can already tell it's going to be a fucking awesome read, and make me drop everything else and read the other books.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

mbw

QuoteHaving spent most of his life medicated, electroshocked, and institutionalized, Jerome Coe finds himself homeless on the coldest night of the century — and so, with nowhere else to go, he accepts a ride out of New England from an old love's ex-girlfriend. It doesn't quite work out, but he makes it to New Orleans, and a new life—complete with a bandaged hand, world-champion grilled-cheese sandwiches, and only the occasional psychotic break. Things get better, and then, of course, they get worse. From a writer who's worked as a debt collector, book restorer, toilet scrubber, and door-to-door vacuum-cleaner salesman, Fever Chart is filled with a cast of Crescent City denizens that makes for one of the most vivid ensembles since Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces.

really good so far.

gah

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on April 30, 2012, 10:12:55 AM

QuoteHaving spent most of his life medicated, electroshocked, and institutionalized, Jerome Coe finds himself homeless on the coldest night of the century — and so, with nowhere else to go, he accepts a ride out of New England from an old love's ex-girlfriend. It doesn't quite work out, but he makes it to New Orleans, and a new life—complete with a bandaged hand, world-champion grilled-cheese sandwiches, and only the occasional psychotic break. Things get better, and then, of course, they get worse. From a writer who's worked as a debt collector, book restorer, toilet scrubber, and door-to-door vacuum-cleaner salesman, Fever Chart is filled with a cast of Crescent City denizens that makes for one of the most vivid ensembles since Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces.

really good so far.

Goddamn it! I just spent 2 hours yesterday in the bookstore, and one of the things I wanted to pick up was a book with NOLA as the background, and this would've been perfect. Ironically, I debated grabbing another copy of Confederacy of Dunces, which then lead me to this instead:

Butterfly in the Typewriter: The Tragic Life of John Kennedy Toole and the Remarkable Story of A Confederacy of Dunces

QuoteThe saga of John Kennedy Toole is one of the greatest stories of American literary history. After writing A Confederacy of Dunces, Toole corresponded with Robert Gottlieb of Simon & Schuster for two years. Exhausted from Gottlieb's suggested revisions, Toole declared the publication of the manuscript hopeless and stored it in a box. Years later he suffered a mental breakdown, took a two-month journey across the United States, and finally committed suicide on an inconspicuous road outside of Biloxi. Following the funeral, Toole's mother discovered the manuscript. After many rejections, she cornered Walker Percy, who found it a brilliant novel and spearheaded its publication. In 1981, twelve years after the author's death, A Confederacy of Dunces won the Pulitzer Prize.

In Butterfly in the Typewriter, Cory MacLauchlin draws on scores of new interviews with friends, family, and colleagues as well as full access to the extensive Toole archive at Tulane University, capturing his upbringing in New Orleans, his years in New York City, his frenzy of writing in Puerto Rico, his return to his beloved city, and his descent into paranoia and depression.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mehead

On to book #2...

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Mr. Natural

This dude takes the D&D/I-Ching/comicbooks/alchemy angle on his psychedelic career. Mainly, he has all these pop cultural (and occult curiosity) benchmarks for his progression which abrupty leaves soft drugs and takes up drinking & cocaine. It's kind of an addict's linear logic to their whole life story as readable signposts.
Overall, lots of right-on spots in the writing and lots of weak spots. Some of his mini history lessons are too long for their relation to the story he's telling; but he's clearly searching for a transcendence he knows to be reachable.

All the Amazon reviews said there was nothing new in here, but I learned all kinds of stuff. The author conducted lots of new interviews with Kieth, Chuck, Kira, Joe Carducci, Glen E. Friedman, Mike Watt and a bunch of other people - plus a ton of citations from old punk zines and newspaper articles.

Just got reissued, but I couldn't wait, so I interlibrary loaned one of the old ones. Top academic writing on the topic. Can't wait to start citing it in my class papers.

The Neurosoup girl's story. Granted, I wasn't expecting too too much going in, but what is it with editors these days? I know they still have 'em. I actually took more notes on, what were at first, humorous oversights. A couple there/theirs and questions ending with periods - but they got really distracting. The apex was when she wrote about having a feeling of "deshavoo." Proofreader, editor, spellcheck, nobody noticed that?!
There's some insightful bits here & there, and I appreciated her lab specifics, but I can see how her Kansan New Ageism might get on some people's nerves.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

emay

Black Flag book looks cool, will have to try to find it

Multibeast12

Started Game of Thrones. Not bad so far.

PIE-GUY

Just finished Ticketmasters by Dean Budnick. It was good, not great. It's written like an academic work. Lots of footnotes and resources used. Reads like it, too. There are some great anecdotes, but the writing definitely gets dry and tedious.

Still, if you want to know more about how we got to where we are today in the ticketing world, I would suggest it. There is definitely no better resource.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Tomapella

Haven't actually read Dark Tower myself, I should get to that, but as for Ender, the first two books are definitely worth reading.  I think I like the sequel better, actually, but the series went downhill from there IMO.  Ender's Shadow is good, too, it runs parallel to Ender's Game but from a different character's viewpoint.

emay

Quote from: Tomapella on May 19, 2012, 04:41:45 PM

Haven't actually read Dark Tower myself, I should get to that, but as for Ender, the first two books are definitely worth reading.  I think I like the sequel better, actually, but the series went downhill from there IMO.  Ender's Shadow is good, too, it runs parallel to Ender's Game but from a different character's viewpoint.

Thanks for the input!
Think I am gonna start with Ender.
Dark Tower is next on the list, or maybe Game of Thrones...