News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

emay

So looks like Game Of Thrones just jumped to the top of my list.
Saw it at the store when I was getting some food and it was 25% off. So I dropped the 4 bucks on it and about to crack into it now. I was hesitate about reading it because I have already seen the first season and been watching the 2nd. But reading the book is gonna be much different

VDB

Just finished this:

Fascinating simultaneous account of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and a serial killer who was operating there at the time.

Movie rights have been purchased (yay!) by Leonardo DiCaprio (boo!).
Is this still Wombat?

Mr Minor

So I stepped back from the Game of Thrones series after book 3 to take a break.  Went through a couple books:

Love John Irving, but this one did not really do it for me.  Had some great parts and I enjoyed the story, but not enough to say it was one of his better novels.  Glad to hear he has another new novel out now!

Saw The Last Best League earlier in the thread and went and checked it out.  Great read.  Very interesting story.  Recommend to anyone who enjoys baseball or has an interest in the sport and it's facets.

And now on to book 4 of Song of Ice and Fire series:

Multibeast12

Me and my friend are reading Fahrenheit 451 as a tribute to Ray Bradbury, But after that going to finish up the foundation series.   

susep

I've read every Jimi book published, this one is new.  only 6 chapters in however its interesting reading about Jimi's experiences in Nashville and the year or 2 right after he exited from the Army.  He had some decent gigs and fair income where his contemporaries were content, Hendrix wanted more and took risks at every opportunity to further his music and individuality.  one of the main reasons Hendrix played w/ such sheer volume was in 1962 or '63 he had been defeated in a guitar duel, not because he lacked technique or musicianship rather his competitor had more volume, something Jimi would never forget.  when he arrived in NYC for the first time in 1963, he stayed at the same Harlem Hotel where Malcom X had an office. 

Hicks

Outstanding, and that's coming from a guy who was never very interested in her music, until now at least.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

gainesvillegreen

Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

phil

Tackling "Flags in the Dust" by William Faulkner. I found it for two bucks in a coffee shop when I was at the beach last week. It's the original piece that the publishers pared down to make "Sartoris," so there's that story and then some. Faulkner rules.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: phil on August 14, 2012, 10:41:48 AM
Tackling "Flags in the Dust" by William Faulkner. I found it for two bucks in a coffee shop when I was at the beach last week. It's the original piece that the publishers pared down to make "Sartoris," so there's that story and then some. Faulkner rules.

Love Faulkner - been a long time since I've ready any of his stuff - I need to dive back in again. My senior thesis class was "Faulkner's fiction in Southern History." I was a history major. We basically used his writing as a secondary source on history of Mississippi. My thesis explored the months immediately following the emancipation of the slaves.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

phil

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 14, 2012, 11:06:01 AM
Quote from: phil on August 14, 2012, 10:41:48 AM

Love Faulkner - been a long time since I've ready any of his stuff - I need to dive back in again. My senior thesis class was "Faulkner's fiction in Southern History." I was a history major. We basically used his writing as a secondary source on history of Mississippi. My thesis explored the months immediately following the emancipation of the slaves.

I'm a sucker for any of those Southern Gothic authors, but Faulkner takes the cake. I'm thinking I might just run through all of his shit, I own a good 60-70% of his works and could probably find the others relatively easily. I have a few duplicates as well that I'd be happy to share if you need em.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

PIE-GUY

A lot of Faulkner scholars believe most of his stories are based fact. He hung around in front the courthouse in Oxford everyday drinking with the old men and listening to their stories. Then he'd walk home and sit down and write all night.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Igbo

My vacation beach read.....

Loved it!!! All action.

mbw

Currently enjoying this on a nice Tuesday off...

anthrax

just picked up my cross to bear by gregg allman from the library