News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on August 14, 2012, 12:41:00 PM
Currently enjoying this on a nice Tuesday off...

Quite enjoyed that book back when I was reading all of his stuff.

Mr. Natural

Quote from: anthrax on August 14, 2012, 12:52:39 PM
just picked up my cross to bear by gregg allman from the library

My wife checked this one out. I skipped the beginning and went straight to the formation of the ABB and read from there. Apparently, I missed a lot of awesome stuff. He slagged the WIN, LOSE, OR DRAW album, which I have fond college memories of. Overall, he seems like a pretty cool dude. He uses a bit of slang that I didn't always understand. It's cool to read his side of the Cher years. I was hoping for a bit more relating his role in the RUSH movie to the big Macon county drug bust which he was largely considered the narc of, but he didn't really place those two together.
It was nice to read it, though, since the ABB are my summer festival driving music and I had their 2nd album, W, L, or D, and a live '91 disc to listen to on the way out last weekend.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

Multibeast12

Just re-read the hobbit. Forgot how incredible that book was.

Mr. Natural

Brown asks luminaries from various fields (physicists, neuroscientists, political historians, linguists, satirists, robotic engineers, media theorists, software developers, astronauts, Robert Anton Wilson) a similar set of questions. Topics include: Will the human species survive? What happens to consciousness after death? Are we alone in the universe? The evolution of future species. Lots of different answers and he follows tangents, which adds some variety. Lots of references to published studies and experiments, as well as lots of informed conjecture.
Each interview is it's own chapter, so I was able to read bits & pieces at my own leisure. Some of the interviewees have opinions about one another's work, as well, which is fun.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Mr. Natural on September 20, 2012, 12:04:39 AM

Brown asks luminaries from various fields (physicists, neuroscientists, political historians, linguists, satirists, robotic engineers, media theorists, software developers, astronauts, Robert Anton Wilson) a similar set of questions. Topics include: Will the human species survive? What happens to consciousness after death? Are we alone in the universe? The evolution of future species. Lots of different answers and he follows tangents, which adds some variety. Lots of references to published studies and experiments, as well as lots of informed conjecture.
Each interview is it's own chapter, so I was able to read bits & pieces at my own leisure. Some of the interviewees have opinions about one another's work, as well, which is fun.

Might have to check that out.

gah

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 20, 2012, 09:00:46 AM

Agreed. Interest Piqued.

I'm currently reading The Road Less Traveled, y M. Scott Peck, Wherever You Go There You Are, by John Kabat Zinn, and The Complete Works of Swami Vivekanada, vol 1. (of an 8 vol series)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Mr. Natural

Quote from: goodabouthood on September 20, 2012, 10:25:42 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on September 20, 2012, 09:00:46 AM

Agreed. Interest Piqued.

I'm currently reading The Road Less Traveled, y M. Scott Peck, Wherever You Go There You Are, by John Kabat Zinn, and The Complete Works of Swami Vivekanada, vol 1. (of an 8 vol series)

Hmm. JKZ's name has been buzzing around my like a fly lately. I don't know much about him. (or Peck  :|) I have seen Vivekananda's World's Fair speech on video, or a little bit of it; and I ran out and read PATHWAYS TO JOY. Reading it was a clarifying experience.
8 volumes, whoa. I didn't know he published that much. Check you out, Viv.

Mr. Natural

Allegory for the spiritual journey as a mountain-climbing expedition. I was diggin' where it was going, but forgot in the Introduction that they mentioned that Daumal died before he could finish it, so it 'ended' abruptly. I guess it's a good sign that I was thrown off by that - I was pretty invested in where it was going.
Now I'm pumped to read Camus' THE MYTH OF SISYPHUS. It'll have to wait until after this semester is over, though.

sls.stormyrider

Here, There, and Everywhere
My Life Recording Music of the Beatles
Geoff Emerick

A great read about the Beatles recording sessions. Emerick wasn't there for all of them (he quit in the middle of the White Album, came back for Abbey Rd) but witnessed most of it. He started as an assistant engineer the day of their very 1st session, and became the recording engineer for Revolver, Pepper, MMT, the White Album (until he quit) and Abbey Rd.
A story of the most important part of the Beatles legacy, their recordings.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

gainesvillegreen

Woes Of The True Policeman

Roberto Bolano

Features a character from 2666, and judging by the first 40 pages should be good Bolano fare (even if it is technically unfinished). Wasn't really taken with The Third Reich.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

aphineday

If you're a Neil fan, this is a great memoir.
He talks a lot about his life, inspirations, public perceptions, etc.
It's a little random, and he even acknowledges that his "form" doesn't really exist.
If you can handle him skipping around, and sometimes not even finishing a thought, it's a really cool ride.
I'm also extremely pumped about his new Pono lossless music. He is waging war on lesser quality formats, and I'm totally behind him.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

emay

iamhydroJen

I was supposed to read this for a book club that happened yesterday, but seeing as how Amazon didn't deliver the book until Wednesday, I am still reading it.  Pretty interesting CSR statistics so far
"Years later, I found out they'd signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.  The head of Decca, Dick Rowe, made a canny prediction: 'Guitar groups are on the way out, Mr. Epstein.'" - George Harrison

Mr. Natural

Oral histories are always a fun read. My wife & I have been passing this one back & forth for the last couple weeks. She was there for MTV's first day and watched it all the time; I got it the summer after 7th grade ('87) and watched a ton of it, too. The book covers the first 12 or so years. The interviewees are mostly: executives, directors or artists. It's given us some good ideas of stuff to look up on youTube. That Martha-Quinn-as-sex-symbol thing still gives me the creeps, though.  :?