News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

anthrax

Dee Snider - Shut Up and Give Me the Mic

Mr. Natural

Quote from: anthrax on April 13, 2015, 07:22:34 PM
Dee Snider - Shut Up and Give Me the Mic

How was it? I bet that dude has some hilarious fellow-80s-celebrities war stories.

I started LIFE OF PI this week. Never saw the movie, so it's all brand new to me. So far, I'm into it.

We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

zimbra

In the last two weeks I finished:

Bukowski's "Post Office"
Maugham's "Razor's Edge"

I just purchased Maugham's "The Painted Veil" which I will start on my plane to Vegas on Friday.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

khalpin

Ready Player One

A great read for fans of sci-fi, 80s pop culture, computers, video games and dorks in general.

Mr. Natural

I remember this soundtrack being pretty hip backNtheday.
Saw the movie a bunch of times - good stuff.
Then I saw the new paperback cover,  -

and remembered that I had never read the book. It was a fast, deep read. Even with the movie-actors in my head as I read the story, it was still really good. Mainly because, as several book/literary critics have pointed out - there's not a word of that book in the movie. Right away, I noticed that Clay was hardly a moral compass in the book. At 18, he's so slutty he can't even remember which boys at a party he's already had sex with (and he isn't even considered gay or bi by any of the other characters). The Julian character is a practically ghost in the book. While RDJr. is fantastic in the movie, he's barely in the book at all. And his 'rock bottom' in the movie is not only far less freaky than in the book, it's not even the lowest of how low these kids get.
It was also cool, having ready AMERICAN PSYCHO when it came out, to see BE-E flex a couple of the literary moves he would later be recognized for.
Although I was a bit bummed that the Elvis Costello song "Less Than Zero" doesn't bear too much resemblance to the themes of the book unless you really stretch it.

I'm trying to read the KEBRA NEGAST next, but it's really dense.

khalpin

Quote from: Mr. Natural on July 18, 2015, 12:28:58 AM
I remember this soundtrack being pretty hip backNtheday.

SLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!     :rawk:

Mr Minor

Quote from: khalpin on July 15, 2015, 03:16:18 PM
Ready Player One

A great read for fans of sci-fi, 80s pop culture, computers, video games and dorks in general.

Read that in May.  Great story. Great references.

susep

started it last night, so good. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: Mr Minor on July 19, 2015, 12:47:27 PM
Ready Player One

Read it last year. Great book.
Soon to be a motion picture.

khalpin

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 03, 2015, 07:29:30 AM
Quote from: Mr Minor on July 19, 2015, 12:47:27 PM
Ready Player One

Read it last year. Great book.
Soon to be a motion picture.
Didn't realize it was getting the film treatment.  Looks like Spielberg is slated to direct it per IMDb.

mattstick

Quote from: susep on August 01, 2015, 06:06:31 PM

started it last night, so good.

Slammed through most of this over the weekend. It's easy to read and can feel a little simplistic but I really enjoyed it.

Mr. Natural

OCCUPY SPIRITUALITY  (2013)  -  a dialogue between Adam Bucko and Mathew Fox

Imbues/grounds 21st-century political reform movements with spiritual practice. Very contemporary, which is a novelty in the 'spirituality' genre. Fox's text can be pretty academic at times, but he's still got some personality shining through.

DEAL: My Three Decades of Drumming, Dreams, and Drugs with the Grateful Dead (2015) - Bill the Drummer

We all know the main plot points, but Bill is pretty candid regarding his opinions about those plot points, i.e. not being down with Mickey coming back into the band. I appreciated his willingness to express views which probably won't be very popular amongst 'Heads. Best of all, he knows which war stories have already been told, so he makes sure to include new ones.

BETWEEN THE WORLD AND ME (2015)  -  by Ta-Nehisi Coates

Sparse.
Yet dense.
In a slightly voyeuristic way, this met my curiosity about The Talk that black parents have to give their kids about making their way through a white-normative society. The format is a letter to his son, and it focuses on who the black body belongs to, how that ownership is enforced, and the effects it has over generations, leading up to (although he hasn't mentioned it by name yet) the BlackLivesMatter movement.
Even when I was challenged, or I disagreed, I kept on reading - and have been handsomely rewarded. It is not necessarily a book to be agreed with, just absorbed.

mopper_smurf

Not bad, not great. Guy can't  resist to go overly academic.

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy