News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil

really interesting read, and highly recommended whether or not you are a video game person (she does a really good job of making it about all types of games, not just modern videogaming). Really cool because it's given me a new and much deeper appreciation of things I already *kind of* knew, while also exploring the relevance/application of those lessons to everyday life
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

Mr. Natural

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 29, 2016, 08:42:53 AM

Got the hardcopy last week and I'm about to finish it. Dude covers so much ground- some very familiar, some completely foreign to me- it's amazing.
I'm really enjoying the book and am looking forward to interviewing him for HFPod.

Had to return this one to the library today without finishing it. I'm less than 100 pages in, but totally digging it. I can't wait to get to the early '90s.
That's superkickass that you get to interview the author.

Most of my reading time has been spent on
"In the Shadow of the Banyan Tree" by Vaddey Ratner

First person account of the Khmer Rouge 'takeover' of Cambodia.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

susep

alcoholandcoffeebeans

I think in the past 5 years, I've read this at least once a year... back at it as of last night.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

alcoholandcoffeebeans

honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

Mr. Natural

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on June 16, 2016, 02:34:08 PM
I think in the past 5 years, I've read this at least once a year... back at it as of last night.

My best friend & I used to read this every summer so that we finished on his deathday July 3rd.
12-, 13-, 14-, and 15-year-old me loved it.
I'm a sucker, though - I'll still read any biography on that dude that comes out.

Mr. Natural

Interesting read. The author (whose first two books are bios on Belushi and Farley) revisits his alma mater to talk with his old teachers about their experiences when desegregation went down. More surprising revelations than I'd originally thought.

phil

American Nations - A History of the Eleven Rival Cultures of North America

really good read about the general historiography of this continent BUT they lump most of Virginia (e.g. the piedmont of Va. and parts of West Va.) into the Tidewater region which is plain ol bullcorn to me. Honestly though it's fascinating if you've ever driven from one state to the next and noticed a marked difference in culture/accent/ect. and wondered why.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

ytowndan

Quote from: phil on July 08, 2016, 11:44:17 PM

really good read about the general historiography of this continent BUT they lump most of Virginia (e.g. the piedmont of Va. and parts of West Va.) into the Tidewater region which is plain ol bullcorn to me. Honestly though it's fascinating if you've ever driven from one state to the next and noticed a marked difference in culture/accent/ect. and wondered why.

I just read the sample pages on Amazon and decided to order it.  I want to say I read a review of it when it came out, because I definitely have seen that map before.  Now that I think about it, I might have seen it posted here in one of the political threads. 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the read.  Thanks for the recommendation.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

phil

Quote from: ytowndan on July 09, 2016, 11:14:16 PM
Quote from: phil on July 08, 2016, 11:44:17 PM

I just read the sample pages on Amazon and decided to order it.  I want to say I read a review of it when it came out, because I definitely have seen that map before.  Now that I think about it, I might have seen it posted here in one of the political threads. 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the read.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Nice! Looking forward to comparing notes

Mr. Natural

Occasionally high-falutin', but digging it so far.

anthrax

mattstick

Quote from: anthrax on July 19, 2016, 02:19:09 PM
Heads by Jesse Jarnow

I plowed through the first half, got to about 84/85 where the focus turns to Phish and put it down - been meaning to pick it up again.

Mr. Natural