News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Upload speed vs. download speed

Started by Itsnotanexperience, January 24, 2005, 02:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itsnotanexperience

Help.......

After several attempts to make adjustments on Bit Torrnado myself,
I'm pleading for some wisdom from an expert or somebody more expertly
than myself..........

I have Charter 3meg internet service, and routinely score downloads
around anywhere from 150kB/s to 280kB/s, and that's very cool - but
I never seem to be able to top 30kB/s (for u/l - and even that's RARE) when I'm
finished w/ my dl.

This is quite frustrating b/c I may download a show in a few hours, but have
to spend DAYS u/l the show to the remaining leeches.

I know this question is asked frequently, but here it is again - what am I doing
wrong here?   How can I balance this attack?   I'd much rather lose d/l speed
to increae my upload speed..........

Any ideas?

guyforget

You cant do anything, really, besides pay for an upgraded connection.  Im not even sure if Charter offers an upgraded connection.  Most Cable or DSL connections are capped around 30KB/s uploading though, so you shouldnt be surprised.  

One of the best tools Ive found for locating ISPs in your area is http://dslreports.com - you can browse their site for all sorts of helpful information and search for other ISPs and check out what sort of bandwidth offerings they have.  If you live in a metropolitian area there is a good chance that you have more choices than just your Cable TV provider and Telephone company, you just may not be aware of them.  

If Charter is your only option you can call them and ask if they offer other packages with more upload capacity, but it will definitely cost you more.
-AD_

Itsnotanexperience

wow - so this has nothing to do w/ my settings.......that really
blows...................does this mean that now that I'm setup and
can finally seed torrents that the best dls anybody will get is
maybe 30-40kB/s?

Thanks for your help, as always, guyforget.

guyforget

Yep, thats what it means.  But thats kind of why Bit Torrent was created...  because people only have 30-40KB/s.  So everyone is supposed to pitch in their 30-40KB/s on the session and then itll move quite fast.  

Its still worth it.  Most everyone seeding on bt.etree is on a pipe just like yours.  

FWIW -  Im a subscriber to Adelphia's "Premeir" Internet package.  It runs me $62/month and I get upload speeds around 70KB/s and download speeds over 500KB/s.  I have no problem paying that, and still sometimes wish I had more upload capacity.  You might try to find out if your ISP offers something similar that is within your budget.
-AD_

jedifunk

yeah, i've got roadrunner here in minneapolis, and i get 300KB/sec down & 30KB/sec up, so don't sweat it.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

I just paid a little extra to get 384Mbits (or 48Kbytes) up.  My dl is at 3Mbits (or 375Kbytes).  

Here's how you figure your internet service
1byte = 8bits (It could be actually be a little more due to parity and other things I don't know about but it's not off by much cuz azureus shows me uploading at 46K(which is where I set my max and that's not far off from 48K).

-Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

you should really set your max to about 80% of your total upload/download bandwith.  i pay for 3000/384, and set my bt max @ 275/30 so that i can still surf and check my email.  plus setting your upload @ 80% allows your downloads to go much faster, since the upload isnt being maxed out and it needs to be able to verify packet info and what not.  the bt wiki page has tons of helpful info on tweaking your setting to get the optimal speeds.
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

guyforget

Im supposed to be capped at 512Kb/s but I consistantly upload closer to 600Kb/s.  Im glad that Adelphia offers 512 instead of just 384.   :D  8)
-AD_

jedifunk

yeah i wish i got a better upload than just 384.  there's rumor that roadrunner is gonna up it to 512.  supposedly in the 1st quarter of this year.  hopefully that works out.  i'd like to be able to seed things faster. :D
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio