News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

3 out of fucking 6

Started by Red Sea Pedestrian, March 17, 2007, 07:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

true, but I think if you pull off an unusual modulation and/or change time signatures, it can be very noticable.  When my band would perform, we loved to do Dark Star -> Whipping Post.  Anyway, I was just thinking as a judge.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

Depends on the judge, of course. That asshole from American Idol (simon?) would rule you a bore that no one wants to hear, whereas a Jazz instructor might find your modulations intriguing. audience is everything when life really is a competition.

sophist

I'd give Simon more credit than that, he *knows* people will happily lap up the crap also known as American Pop Music.  The guy owns the rights to every Idol winner, and has 30+ versions of Idol going in thirty different countries.  He knows how to *spot* talent and it relevance to making Pop albums.  I'd squeal like Taylor Hicks for several million a year.  :wink:
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

sure he knows his crap but he'd pan the fuck out of some jamband jamming and you know it.

sophist

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 20, 2007, 09:31:10 PM
sure he knows his crap but he'd pan the fuck out of some jamband jamming and you know it.
:lol:

Red Sea Pedestrian

Quote from: phan003 on March 20, 2007, 10:18:40 AM
true, but I think if you pull off an unusual modulation and/or change time signatures, it can be very noticable.  When my band would perform, we loved to do Dark Star -> Whipping Post.  Anyway, I was just thinking as a judge.

We didn't play anything complex, except one song, which is an instrumental that's very much oriented around the drums, and I know that people that were there thought it was pretty good, so I guess we kept it interesting.

As for the judges, none of them had any real connection to music, most of the judges were there from the municipality, and they just voted for the band who's drummer is the son of some real important guy over there. The other judges were people who worked at the place that the competition took place in, and they voted for a band that performs there pretty regularly.

So to sum it up, fuckin' politics man.

Gumbo72203

Yeah dude.  EVERYTHING is politics.  You just gotta figure out whose dick to suck beforehand. 

Battle of the Bands' are usually a joke anyway.  What kind of music did each band play, including the ones you played in?  Also, what was the crowd like?  I've found that most BotB winners are the ones that are most conducive to the type of audience that will be at the show that they're vying for. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

rowjimmy

Did it take you all four months to formulate that response?

sophist

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 09, 2007, 11:05:56 AM
Did it take you all four months to formulate that response?
must be the official RJ dominates Gumbo day

It always comes so soon every year.   :-D

antelope19

07/09 official gumbo gets owned day.  Its ok gumbo, mine is right around the corner.   :-D
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

August

Quote from: antelope19 on July 09, 2007, 04:48:07 PM
07/09 official gumbo gets owned day.  Its ok gumbo, mine is right around the corner.   :-D

a

antelope19

antelope19

That looks painful.   :wink:

Gumbo72203

hahahaha, shit...  I didn't realize tha this thread was created so long ago. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

rowjimmy

You didn't see the bright red warning at the top of the screen after you clicked reply?
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.