News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

3 out of fucking 6

Started by Red Sea Pedestrian, March 17, 2007, 07:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Sea Pedestrian

I played in a music competition today, a battle of the bands type of thing. Out of the 6 competing bands, I played in three. Now, first place and runner up basicly get the same prize - to warm up one of the bands that comes to town to play for the Israeli independence day (April 23rd). Considering the fact that I was performing in half the bands, and two bands get selected in the end to perform, I figuerd my chances were pretty good, ~75% chance. Well, needless to say, non of the bands I played in won. None. I lost three times in one competition. I managed, in one night, to break every single law of statistics and logic.

And this whole thing wouldn't be so bad if I lost to good bands. I won't go too far into descriptions, but let's just say that the band that took first place was made up of a group of 9th graders. They had eyeliner on. They played emo music, and they didn't even play it fucking well! And their drummer was fucking terrible! I could kick his ass without using my feet, and he took first fucking place.

Anyways, I just thought the whole situation was kind of funny, and I'm kind of drunk.

rowjimmy

That sucks.
I'm working on a drunk too.

Red Sea Pedestrian

I wouldn't say it sucks. I think it's kind of funny. I mean, I might not be able to say that I won the competition, but I can claim to be living proof that statistics are bullshit.

rowjimmy

Good attitude.

I'd still say it sucks but, yeah, you probably wouldn't need to bear the grief for the rest of your life.

sls.stormyrider

sounds like the other guys might have made some special favors for the judges :evil:
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Red Sea Pedestrian

Well, the drummer that played with the 9th graders just happens to be the son of some real important guy in the municipality, and considering that most of the judges were from the municipality...well, the competition wasn't exactly fair.

mattstick

Neither the music industry, nor life are fair.

Red Sea Pedestrian

Of course not, I just didn't expect it at all so I was a bit suprised. I knew all the other bands that were competing, so I figured I had a good chance, if I knew they were playing I would have done it differently. All I needed was one vote from one judge and I would have won, I brought so many people to vote for me, but I didn't win over any judges...

susep

if they saw you playing in three seperate bands I'm sure that in itself did not impress the judges.   :samurai:

Red Sea Pedestrian

Why? Drummers aren't easy to find.

Hicks

And nobody pays attention to who the drummer is anyway!   :wink:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sophist

Well, i'll be the first to ask this, but what did you play and how did you play it?  Maybe you could post a setlist for each of your bands. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Red Sea Pedestrian

Quote from: phan003 on March 19, 2007, 03:57:08 PM
Well, i'll be the first to ask this, but what did you play and how did you play it?  Maybe you could post a setlist for each of your bands. 

All originals. I could post a setlist, but would it matter?

sophist

somewhat, Did you use any segues?  Did you play in the same key?  Little things make all the difference
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

segues bore an audience that isn't used to them. It makes the songs seem unending unless the second half is something that they recognize. then they find themselves startled and, hopefully, pleased that you've arrived in familiar territory.