News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

DISCO BISCUITS

Started by woodsyn2o, April 24, 2007, 08:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

yeah...   stuff sucks just because you dont like it ;)

If you dont like trance music, you're probably not going to like the Disco Biscuits.  I love them.  I've been captivated by them since the first time I saw them, which was also the first time I had ever heard them.  The encore of Astronaut > Run Like Hell > Astronaut made me flip absolute shit.

I dont know tho, because I really like Allen.  I think he's great.  They really are two different styles, altman vs. aucoin, but they're still the Disco Biscuits, which i think is cool. 

tehdead:  You got a sick 2nd set there, man.  Basis For A Day is probably my favorite Bisco song, followed by the studio version of I-Man and Story of the World.

Its just sad that their music is conducive to the kids who like ecstasy but dont care about music...   

somebody had to inherit the herd, though.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Casey Lenahan

Yeah that whole show was amazing and im not really a HUGE fan of the disco biscuits but i can respect what they do and they do it very well. Word in pt is that the buffalo show is one of the best shows some have seen/heard in a while.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on May 21, 2007, 11:09:08 PM

tehdead:  You got a sick 2nd set there, man.  Basis For A Day is probably my favorite Bisco song, followed by the studio version of I-Man and Story of the World.

Yea that Basis for a day was probably the best ive EVER heard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on May 21, 2007, 11:09:08 PM
Its just sad that their music is conducive to the kids who like ecstasy but dont care about music...   

somebody had to inherit the herd, though.

Ive noticed that a whole lot in recent shows as well. Ill look around and the crowd and will see numerous amounts of people not paying any attention to what is going on. all they do is chat with the group of people their with and look for dugs. I think nowadays more and more people are in it solely for the drugs.

I owe Aug $20

haleakalari

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 21, 2007, 08:35:32 PM
So I should love a band because they used to be good?

Hrmmm... works for phish I guess.

Seriously tho, I've seen them. They bored me.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.
Music needs dynamics.

60 minutes of deedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedlewhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawha
deedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedlewhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawha
deedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedlewhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawha
bores me.

then they play a second set.

they are still good, but not as good, in my opinion. i am seeing them for the third time with the new drummer [and like the 24th time total (if you count jm2 and some of their other incarnations)] soon, and will continue to keep an open ear, hoping for them to get some of that old vibe i loved so much going on again. and no, you should not be into a band because they used to sound good, but because you like the music, or in my case because you hope they will get back to sounding as good as they used to... or something. yeah. i mean, it is also strange how i dragged some friends to see my first biscuits show while some friends dragged me to see my first phish show. point is, i ended up really getting into both groups solely because of the music regardless of how i got into them in the first place. if you don't like the music, then it doesn't matter. although seeing phish live, did instill within me a much stronger appreciation for their music than before i had, same with a few other groups... ach, this is such a complicated issue. loops and associated loops of associations. loops and loops and loops.
The bemonstering of your ganache awaits!

August

i saw the briscuits 5 times. all at the the vanderbilt on LI. (12-29-00, 12-30-00, 04-14-02, 04-15-02 & 10-26-02).
i'm a fan of progressive electronic music and good music, in general.
every time i saw them, they failed at producing both.
my buddy was into them around that time and his sister worked thee, so we got comp'd tix and all access passes. i met some of the band the first two nights, but had no want to the last three. i just felt that they were piss-poor songwriters, lyricists, vocalists and musicians and had FOOLED all these KIDS at the show into thinking that they were something unique.
briscuits aint for me. i tried and they are truly a horrible act.
a

haleakalari

they are horrible vocalists. i never pay much if any attention to vocals when it comes to any of the recent "jammy" type groups though, which includes/d phish in my opinion... though, mike and page had pretty ok voices. but, a whole lot of the time i prefer there to be no vocals whatsoever in the music i am listening to. it is all about instrumental interplay for me. and although at a low point, i feel the biscuits can get some very nice jams going and have a whole lot of potential for feeding off of each-other musically to create intricate atmospheric music, plus when gutwillig is centered he can be an amazing guitarist. but this is silly for me to be arguing about the merits of a particular group, each to his-her own.

sophist

Quote from: haleakalari on May 22, 2007, 07:12:39 PM
they are horrible vocalists. i never pay much if any attention to vocals when it comes to any of the recent "jammy" type groups though, which includes/d phish in my opinion... though, mike and page had pretty ok voices.
wow. 
I would suggest you put on any Phish show and rethink that.   :wink:
The boys do a great job of 4 part harmonies, especially on the acepella songs.   They are much better than the biscuits, panic, moe, etc.  at lyrics and singing

edit to add: I'm not trying to be a jerk,  your comments just shocked me. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Casey Lenahan

Quote from: phan003 on May 22, 2007, 09:16:32 PM
wow. 
I would suggest you put on any Phish show and rethink that.   :wink:
The boys do a great job of 4 part harmonies, especially on the acepella songs.   They are much better than the biscuits, panic, moe, etc.  at lyrics and singing

edit to add: I'm not trying to be a jerk,  your comments just shocked me. 

id agree on that as well. Phish does 4 part harmonies sooo well, like no other band
I owe Aug $20

mixmasterob

is anyone gonna catch the biscuits with umphreys 6.30 in atl?  pgroove is going to play 2 sets inside later that night as well, all for the price of one ticket.  should be a good time.

Hicks

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 21, 2007, 08:35:32 PM

60 minutes of deedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedlewhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawha
bores me.

Don't you mean 60 minutes of untz?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

haleakalari

phish's four part harmonies were great and all, but they were not an awfully big part of the their music... more of a stage gimmick. not to be a dick, but most people don't think of phish and say "man, they could sing pretty damn well.".

rowjimmy

They (Phish) were more than competent vocally. Sure, they're no (hmmm who CAN sing? ) boy band type singers but for the rock songs they wrote they could sing great.
the DB and moe and whatnot.. not so much.

though, moe > tdb

haleakalari

i must add that despite the bickering, i have always enjoyed the oom-pa-pa shtick in harpua immensely... and how it always goes into that deviant[ly] funked out bass line.

Gumbo72203

my friends slag Phish all the time for being shitty singers...   its just simply not true, regardless of whether you like the music or not.

with the Disco Biscuits, they aren't as good of singers as Phish, but they can sing.  I mean...  its not terribly difficult, but the wordless harmony of Basis For A Day is pretty cool, and the harmonies on the chorus of I-Man.  The thing, in my mind, about the Disco Biscuits vocals is that their voices sound really unique and interesting; especially Barber's.  Lilke the chorus to Morph Dusseldorph; their harmonies are alright, but i think the interest lies in their unique vocal tonalities. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

rowjimmy

Hicks

Quote from: Hicks on June 28, 2006, 01:39:50 AM
True dat, listening to Phish for the quality of singing is like listening to the Beatles for Ringo's drumming prowess, smite away!   :samurai:

Bisco is worse though.

untz 
untz
untz
untz
untz
untz
untz
untz
untz
untz
untz
untz
untz
untz
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.