News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

DISCO BISCUITS

Started by woodsyn2o, April 24, 2007, 08:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phuzzyfish12

I have some friends that caught the Disco Biscuits over there NYE run in NY and I watched some there videos and totally dug what I saw.  :rockout: Does anyone have any recomindations on what songs/shows you could recommend I get.

Quote from: tehdead on January 29, 2010, 04:18:48 PM
2010 tour has started.
03/26/10     Ultra Music FestivalBicentennial ParkMiami, FL  << http://www.ultramusicfestival.com/ looks like a ragin fest   

Ultra is TOTALLY a ragin fest. Its caps off Winter Music Conference in Miami every March. WMC is a huge electronic music conference that has been going on in Miami for over 10 years. 100's of dj's/musical acts from all over the world converge in Miami for 1 week for the ultimate music experience for EDM fans. I went back in 2005 and had a blast but wasn't able to make it to Ultra. I have friends that have gone though and had a tons of fun. Outdoor event, lots of lights and good music. 

guyforget

Quote from: tehdead on January 29, 2010, 04:18:48 PM
John you going to the CO shows  :-D

john is going tonight and tomorrow, but not all 4. 

i was offered freebies for wife and i last night, but we declined. 

we're gonna have a 'paug pre-show round of beers up in boulder tomorrow. the disco's, my wife and i, as well as gainesvillegreen, not sure if his wife will be joining or not.  even though we're not going to the shows, who can turn down a day of drinking at boulder breweries with some 'paugers?  ill try to get a photo for the meetups thread. 

-AD_

Casey Lenahan

nice. enjoy yourselfs!  :beers:
I owe Aug $20

justjezmund

Kirby center the only one i can hit.  anyone else?
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

Casey Lenahan

The Join Has some shows comming up, wish I could hit one of these, one of the last shows they play they RIPPPED up lunar pursuit
Internet Archive: Free Download: The Join Live at Crocodile Rock Cafe on 2007-11-17 <-- for that jam!!1!1! 

Jamie Shields and Darren Shearer (the New Deal) w/ Brownie and Mangner

Thursday March 4th Bluebird Bloomington,IN
Friday March 5th Copper Dragon Carbondale,IL
Saturday March 6th TBA Chicago,IL

These shows are gonna RAGE!

O yeah, Really diggin the new 2010 sound, seems to be a little more relaxed, not so much in your face, and put out a nice jam 1.31
and ever since the Naeba jams and minions jams have been showing some potential to be big jams.

set 2:
Basis For A Day> Naeba> Minions> Naeba> Basis For A Day> Catalyst> Basis For A Day
http://www.archive.org/details/db2010-01-31.dpa4021.flac16
I owe Aug $20

Gumbo72203

Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on January 29, 2010, 07:55:30 PM
I have some friends that caught the Disco Biscuits over there NYE run in NY and I watched some there videos and totally dug what I saw.  :rockout: Does anyone have any recomindations on what songs/shows you could recommend I get.

For starters, I would get the following albums:  Uncivilized Area, The Wind at Four to Fly, and Rocket 3.

Uncivilized Area is their first studio album, and is akin to Phish's Junta, in that it contains many of their biggest, most popular songs, as well as an absolutely spell-binding version of I-Man that still trumps every live version I've heard.  This album was before their huge trance makeover, although they do turn Little Betty Boop into a big trance jam that is not very good, imo.  The song itself, though, fucking rules.  Other awesome tracks on the cd include: Memphis, Vasillios, Aceetobee, Morph Dusseldorph...

Now, Wind at 4 to Fly and Rocket 3 are from their NYE '04 run, which I think were recorded to document original drummer Sam Altman's last shows with the band, although he did play a few shows at the start of '05.  WA4TF is a 2-disc set with absolutely OUTSTANDING versions of Basis For A Day, Kitchen Mitts, Sweating Bullets, Story of the World, and maybe the very best Morph Dusseldorph they've ever done (absolutely incredible).  Rocket 3 is the 3rd set of 12/31/04 and features unheralded versions of each song it features:  a half-hour Magellan, ecstatic Frog Legs -> Crickets (my fav version, simply sublime) and tops it off with the encore of Hope.

As for shwos, I'll just suggest 3 of my attendeds:

12/27/04 - Palace Theater - Albany, NY 
Set 1:  Hope, Sister Judy's Soul Shack, Sweating Bullets, Digital Buddha, Triumph > Voices Insane
Set 2:  7-11 > King of the World > Rock Candy
E:  Haleakala Crater, Astronaut > Run Like Hell > Astronaut

http://www.archive.org/details/db2004-12-27dpa4022.flac16

Actually, this is more like a 3 set show, because set 2 is 46 minutes long, and the encore is just under 40 minutes.  This show was A) my first jamband show B) my first time seeing OR hearing The Disco Biscuits C) first time taking ecstasy (the pills came out of a round Phish tin...  a positive omen of things to come in my life; ran into the guy later during setbreak and gave him a huge, huge hug) and D) my first time dancing.

I bet you can imagine the spectacle, from my perspective... of this wholly new musical universe unfolding before my eyes and ears every second.  The light show was what really blew me away, how it was able to enhance the mood and vibe and build up tension with the music.  Ugh.  That night was the diamond in the rough, as during setbreak i was calling my friend begging him to save me "a bag" that I could pick up from him tomorrow so that I wouldn't get sick. 

I had never truly known ecstasy until that Astronaut -> Run Like Hell -> Astronaut bit hit...  the jam up to RLH wasn't particularly tension'd out, but it wove melodic lines in and out of each other, twisting us all around into pleasurable knots, as the lights got more and more chaotic...  building up into an all-out chaos of strobe lights and pan-a-spots spinning and whirling around, which lifted us all up in order to explode our minds on the walls as the eruption of Run Like Hell hit when the 1 came back around.

Man...  that was it.  Just thinking about that experience gives me goosebumps and makes me tear up; Fluffhead at Hampton was just as powerful, but that was more emotional... causing me to bawl like a baby rather than flip out wildly in an ecstatic frenzy.  But it was like they were speaking to me, because I had always been a massive Pink Floyd fan, and it was like "here, you don't know our material, but we're gonna show you what we do, and then explode into something you'll know." 

And with that, I was hooked for life.  U-Melt has supplanted the Disco Biscuits in regards to my choice for untz dance-jamming, but the Disco Biscuits will always have that place in my heart.

Other shows to suggest:

5/13/06 - The Palace Theatre - Albany, NY 
Set 1:  Spectacle, Munchkin Invasion 1 > Little Betty Boop 2 > Munchkin Invasion 3 > Little Betty Boop, Floodlights
Set 2:  Step Inside > Helicopters, Abraxas, Nughuffer, M.E.M.P.H.I.S. > Basis For A Day
E:  Have A Cigar

1 Intro only 2 With 'Largo al Factotum' (Rossini) teases 3 Inverted completion

This show is ALLLLL about the Memphis -> Basis combo.  The Memphis is just absolute butter...  perfect example of their dark, yet joyful, melodicism.  The Little Munchkin Betty Invasion is REALLY fast, too fast for my tastes, but still great.

and lastly:

11/1/07 - The Palace Theatre - Albany, NY 
Set 1:  Astronaut > I-Man 1 > Gangster > Astronaut
Set 2:  Hope 2 > Save The Robots 1 > Mindless Dribble > Confrontation 1 > Bernstein and Chasnoff
E:  Spy
1 Inverted version 2 Unfinished

I FINALLY got my I-Man!!!!!!   This set is huge; the 2nd set didn't stand a chance.  They just came, and threw down.  The set clocks in at just under 1 hr 20 mins.  And the Astronaut reprise is under 5 minutes long...  over 59 minutes passed before Gangster hit.  Yeah. 

And now i'll be seeing them at the 900-person Hart Theater at The Egg, in Albany, on March 18th.  I can't imagine them in such an intimate environment...
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

mattstick

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on February 11, 2010, 01:35:56 PM
And now i'll be seeing them at the 900-person Hart Theater at The Egg, in Albany, on March 18th.  I can't imagine them in such an intimate environment...

Just take the overall sucky vibe of a large venue, multiply it by 2, then divide the massive suck factor by 2 again.

emay

here are two of my favorite attended shows
Disco Biscuits Live at Legends Boone, NC 2002-05-01
Set 1: M.E.M.P.H.I.S. > Sound 1 > Aceetobee > Bazaar Escape, Kamaole Sands > Spy > Hot Air Balloon > Kamaole Sands > Spy

Set 2: Nughuffer > Astronaut > Nughuffer, Spectacle, Trooper McCue > Munchkin Invasion

Encore: Morph Dusseldorf
http://www.archive.org/details/db2002-05-01.shnf

Disco Biscuits Live at Georgia Theatre Athens, GA 2008-04-19
1: I-Man (1) -> Spacebirdmatingcall, World Is Spinning

2: Resurrection -> Bernstein and Chasnoff (2) -> Shadow -> Nughuffer (2) -> Little Shimmy In a Conga Line (3) -> Crickets (4) -> November Rain (5)

E: Ducks and Geese Are Free, Highwire

http://www.archive.org/details/db2008-04-19.doubleMS-rm.flac16

justjezmund

Quote from: tehdead on February 11, 2010, 01:08:38 AM
The Join Has some shows comming up, wish I could hit one of these, one of the last shows they play they RIPPPED up lunar pursuit
Internet Archive: Free Download: The Join Live at Crocodile Rock Cafe on 2007-11-17 <-- for that jam!!1!1! 

Jamie Shields and Darren Shearer (the New Deal) w/ Brownie and Mangner

i was at this show and its tits.  lunar is just greatness as well as the cover of "breathe" they did for encore.  the best part about that show though is that i was real trashed and just walked home.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

phuzzyfish12

WOW!!! Thanks everyone so much for the info and links  :rockout: :banana: :beerbang: :rawk: :clap:

I have a few sets on I've been listening to that tehdead sent me and I'm totally digging the sound. I love the mixing of the "untz untz untz" sound with the more mellow sounds. (The best way for me to describe them based on what I have heard so far).

Gumbo/ emayPhishyMD: I can't wait to get home and dl all the sets you suggested...I'm sure its just what I'm gonna need to get me pumped for the 3 day weekend coming up :)

You guys rock  :rawk: :rawk:

Casey Lenahan

oo we got enough untz to last you a whole year  :-P, 2010 tour has started!
I owe Aug $20

woodsyn2o

concord nh on sun feb 21

and albany on 3/18 only shows i can go to right now

peace
woodsy

phuzzyfish12

Last night out of nowhere my boyfriend tells me how he has some friends following the biscuits for a week this tour and how cool that would be  :clap: :clap: :clap:  :rawk: :rawk: I totally jumped on that and was like well....they are playing in Atlantic City in April (3 hours from NYC) or Hartford, CT the next day (only 2 hours away)  :-D  He totally perked up when he heard that.

He's not sold yet, but he's almost there for the Hartford show, if not I might just have to take his car and go solo. Super pumped I might catch my first show soon!!!

Casey Lenahan

I owe Aug $20