News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W27: The Orb: 07-23-1994 Quart Festival, Kristiansand, Norway

Started by Hicks, June 13, 2007, 07:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Alright now it's time to get really freaky up in this mother.   :mrgreen:

Let me introduce you to my first musical obsession, The Orb.  Not only did these guys open the door to electronic music as a whole for me, but seeing them perform live in 1995 changed my ideas about what a live performance could be.  I collected any and all stuff Orb-related for a good chunk of the '90s until my interest started waning in them around the turn of the century when I started getting into this jam band from Vermont, maybe you've heard of them . . .

Anyway, here is a sick soundboard recording from 1994 that I believe was one of the last shows with Kris "Thrash" Weston who left the band in 1995 over artistic differences just before the band's world tour in support of Orbus Terrarum, leaving founding member Alex Paterson to find a new primary partner in crime.  This show features live drums for the entire show and I believe it may have live bass as well, although I'm not totally sure about that.  The drums make this a pretty unique show (with the exception of the 95 tour only a handful of shows have featured live drums) and really add a nice backbone to what is otherwise some pretty tripped out stuff.

While I fully expect this to be a dud, seeing as the show club is only hanging by a thread (so to speak) at the moment, I would really like to hear what some of you think about this set, even if you don't like it, tell me why it doesn't do it for you! 

I can also sendspace this as two big AAC files if anyone is interested. Enjoy!

The Orb- 7-23-94 Quart Festival, Kristiansand, Norway

Perpetual Dawn
Star 6,7,8 & 9
Valley
Assassin
A Huge Evergrowing Pulsating Brain that Rules from the Centre of the Ultraworld
Little Fluffy Clouds
Towers of Dub
Outlands

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gsut7l
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

khalpin

Back in the day (15 years ago, or so) I had many an acid trip listening to those guys.  My college roommate was into them.  I don't think I've heard them since I graduated. 

Looking forward to hearing this.  Thanks.

August

I lost my flower whilst listening to The Orb's Pomme Fritz album.
I'll even admit that that is pretty fucked up.

Ahhh....she was such a nice Jewish girl....

a

susep

cool, I'll be listening.  Maybe we can salvage the club w/ eclectic picks like this. :beers:

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

August

Quote from: phan003 on June 16, 2007, 01:52:07 PM
what is a .rar file?

It's a compressed folder.
Use winzip, winrar or stuffit to decompress.
a

sophist

khalpin

No reviews yet?  Okay, here goes:

Perpetual Dawn: This is not how I remember them sounding, but I like it.  Pretty good sound quality, too.  Nice and trippy.  I should really put on headphones.  This music is totally made for it.

Star 6, 7, 8, & 9: Kind of a drawn out beginning.  Then goes into carnival-ish sounding music.  I'd be curious to actually see this being performed.  Just to see who's making what sound.  Is it all samples?  That'd be my guess, but I haven't got a clue.  Anyway, not too many changes going on.  Pretty much the same thing going on for a couple minutes.

Valley: Not my favorite.  Doesn't really have any "melody".  Not that The Orb is really about melody.  Pretty much a drum beat with some sound effects in the background.  Then it segues into The Thieving Magpie by Rossini.  Complete with Clockwork Orange/Wendy/Walter Carlos sound effects.   :clap:

Assassin: More drums.  For some unknown reason, I like this one better than the last one, though.  I have a tough time concentrating on the music, though.  My mind tends to drift to other things while listening to this.  Probably because it's so repetitive.  Maybe it needs to be louder.

AHEGPB: Sounds more like dance music.  Not a fan of this one.

Little Fluffy Clouds: Pretty good.  Actually has somewhat of a chord progression, albeit only 2 chords. 

Towers of Dub: Reggae-trance!  This is starting to wear on me.  I'm starting to find it a bit difficult to listen to. 

Outlands: 4 minutes in and nothing's happened yet.  Finally kicks a minute later.  Much better.  This, I like.  Eventually fades out to a Tangerine Dream-esque drone for the final couple minutes.  My favorite of the eight tracks.

I don't think I could ever listen to these guys on any regular basis, but it was nice to hear them again after all that time.  Thanks for the post.

sls.stormyrider

I didn't want to write anything negative, but figured it was better than writing nothing.
Disclaimer - I never could get into electric music. But I thought I would give it a listen, maybe I would have a different perspective. I still didn't get it.  Rather than song by song, I'll give some general comments.

The effects sound pretty cool. With each song opening, I'm interested. It sounds like they create loops, and make a collage by adding different loops and subtracting some, then re- adding some back. Even though the sounds are cool, it just doesn't connect with me on an emotional level.
the track I liked the best is Valley. I felt like I was walking into a mountain valley as the clouds were lifting. I also liked the effect at the end of Assasin and the beginining of AHEGPB. sounded kinda like an ambulance.
In the end, it was just sounds to me.

I'm still glad I checked it out. It gave me a different perspective when I was listening to a Phish delay loop jam. Always good to be exposed to new and different things.
Thanks, Hicks
:beers:

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

I tried.

Really.

Honest.

Around mid-way through I had to put on Gov't Mule - Sweet Leaf > War Pigs.
I feel better.

My entry is coming up.

sophist

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 22, 2007, 10:12:23 AM
I tried.

Really.

Honest.

Around mid-way through I had to put on Gov't Mule - Sweet Leaf > War Pigs.
I feel better.

My entry is coming up.
yeah, I'll second this review.  Sorry Ikki, I just wasn't feelin it.  I did rock the mule after it too, but I picked the 98 NYE show and rocked out to the 30 minute Afro Blue.

rowjimmy

Quote from: phan003 on June 22, 2007, 10:14:09 AM
yeah, I'll second this review.  Sorry Ikki, I just wasn't feelin it.  I did rock the mule after it too, but I picked the 98 NYE show and rocked out to the 30 minute Afro Blue.

Nice choice.