News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

More Ports and Firewalls

Started by TheMaxilla, February 07, 2005, 06:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMaxilla

I have been trying to open my ports for my BitTorrent client, but i just cant seem to get it to work. i am running OSX with Airport extreme, and i also have norton personal firewall installed. i went to the norton manager and opened the appropriate ports, and i was still firewalled. i disabled the norton firewall, and im still firewalled. if anyone can shed some light on my situation i would appreciate it.

jedifunk

you must open the appropriate ports on your airport extreme base station.  you must also turn OFF your firewall in the system prefs.  for that do the following:

1. open system prefs
2. click on sharing
3. click on firewall tab
4. if it says that the firewall is ON, click on stop; if it says firewall OFF, your good here.

for the base station do this:
1. open airport admin utility
2. when your base station appears, select it & click configure
3. click on port mapping tab
now here's where it can get tricky, as its all dependant on how your network is setup...so i'll give you my settings:
- cable modem -> airport base station -> imac & powerbook g4 using airport
- i also have an airport express that i sometimes use to stream itunes around my house.
- thus i have 4 ip addresses: 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.4
- the base station is set to dynamically assign ip's using NAT; so depending on what machines are on, and in what order they were turned on they will have ip's on my LAN anywhere between 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.4 (10.0.0.1 is always used my the base station).
- i also use the bit torrent client Azureus (the best mac client thus far), which uses port 6881
- so...i have the port mapping settings on my base station set to open port 6881 for the ip addresses 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.4
5. once you have those ip's set with port 6881 open, save the configure with a new name (makes it easier to troubleshoot if it isn't working), then restart your base station.

this should do it. again, it might/will be slightly different for you since your setup is likely different than mine, but the concept is still the same.  if you only have one machine on your LAN, then you'll only have to open port 6881 for that machines IP, which will simplify the process.

good luck, and feel free to post here again with more questions if it doesnt work.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

TheMaxilla

I appreciate the help, but after talking to some people i discovered that it is not my computer set up that is causing the problem, it is my network. i am a college student, and apparently my university has set up the network to try and reduce the use of file sharing, legal or not, and so all access to the required ports is firewalled through their servers, something that i can do nothing about. i apologize to everyone recieving slow downloads from me, but theres nothing i can do. thanks again.