News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

most overrated show

Started by jedifunk, March 05, 2005, 10:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGrupp

Quote from: Hicks on March 12, 2010, 03:57:23 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 12, 2010, 03:18:27 PM
Quote from: Hicks on March 12, 2010, 03:14:44 PM
Your mom's show is overrated.

True, but your Mom's show was totally worth a nickle.

lol, guess I set myself up for that one.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that set I of 10/31/98 is underrated.

Nobody ever talks about the Sally>Chalkdust or the Mike's but I think they're pretty hot. 

The Gin from 6/28/00 is off the hook!

I'm with Hikki on this one. I think 10/31/98 is a super hot show. The Sally is great (and complete with Mike Balms)
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

WhatstheUse?

10-31-98 is my favorite Halloween show (I know, not the most popular opinion around here)

Bring in the dude!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 12, 2010, 04:02:49 PM
10-31-98 is my favorite Halloween show (I know, not the most popular opinion around here)

I don't play favorites, but there is no chance in hell that this show is over-rated. It was epic. The VU set has been on heavy rotation for me ever since... more-so than any other Halloween set (with TH a somewhat distant second).

For my money, 12/30/97 is a bit over-rated. I am solidly in the 12/29 was better camp, but I wouldn't put it on a "most over-rated show" list. I think it is only slightly over-rated. It was a great show no matter how you cut it.

I think that any show from 2000 that people call "great" or "epic" is over-rated, with one exception. Fukuoka is a "great" show.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

WhatstheUse?

I thought the 2000 part of Big Cypress was pretty "epic"  :wink:
Bring in the dude!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 12, 2010, 04:36:17 PM

I only look at the date listed on my XLII's... those say "12/31/99"

also, in no way is BC ever over-rated, nor is it simply "epic." It is so much more. Sorry you were still in diapers for that one, bud.

thatfargone

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 12, 2010, 04:33:58 PM

I think that any show from 2000 that people call "great" or "epic" is over-rated, with one exception. Fukuoka is a "great" show.

That's my feeling.  I really only ever listen to shows from Japan when I touch 2000.
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

McGrupp

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 12, 2010, 04:38:53 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 12, 2010, 04:36:17 PM

I only look at the date listed on my XLII's... those say "12/31/99"

also, in no way is BC ever over-rated, nor is it simply "epic." It is so much more. Sorry you were still in diapers for that one, bud.

WTU is the oldest looking 12 year-old I've ever seen
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

WhatstheUse?

I WAS POTTY-TRAINED AT A LATE AGE!! LEAVE ME ALONE!  :cry: :cry: :cry:
Bring in the dude!

cactusfan

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 12, 2010, 04:33:58 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 12, 2010, 04:02:49 PM

I don't play favorites, but there is no chance in hell that this show is over-rated. It was epic. The VU set has been on heavy rotation for me ever since... more-so than any other Halloween set (with TH a somewhat distant second).

For my money, 12/30/97 is a bit over-rated. I am solidly in the 12/29 was better camp, but I wouldn't put it on a "most over-rated show" list. I think it is only slightly over-rated. It was a great show no matter how you cut it.

pie-guy has a tendency to say all the right things.

6/14/00 is one of the coolest, most unusual shows phish ever played. if you don't like it, that makes me sad for you. here i am crying a tear for what you are missing:  :cry:

10/31/98 is also my favorite halloween show.

the only problems with 12/29/97 and 12/30/97--actually with the whole new year's run--is that those shows aren't as good as most of fall '97. they're still hot shows, though.

PIE-GUY

I didn't see a single show between Clifford Ball and 12/29/97. Needless to say, I was seeing a different band. That may have something to do with my bias. The 12/30/97 was a bit more sprawling and a bit more like the band I had seen before.

Hicks

Both shows are pretty redick IMO, but the AC/DC Bag and the encore give 12-30 the edge in my helping friendly book. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

WillBreathes

All of you defending 2000-06-14 proves my point.

Meh.
tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither

JPhishman

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 12, 2010, 03:08:35 PM
You guys are IIINNNSSSSAAAAANNNNNEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

One of the best Twists ever -> One of the most gnarly, psychedelic, groovalicious jams ever?!?!  2001?

This show is downright nasty!

edit: I also can't believe 12-30-97 is in this thread!!!!

Quote from: cactusfan on March 12, 2010, 06:19:45 PM

6/14/00 is one of the coolest, most unusual shows phish ever played. if you don't like it, that makes me sad for you. here i am crying a tear for what you are missing:  :cry:

No joke. That show blows my mind every time.

Quote from: WillBreathes on March 12, 2010, 07:39:08 PM
I don't think it proves your point. But perhaps proves that we like to do drugs and have gone deep into that show :smoke:

Ser though, that show is legendary for good reason. uber psych!
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

susep

Meh.

14June00 is a great show.  Sick jam out of Gumbo.  The jam out of Twist > Fuk-u-oka Jam 1 is dope!  Phish playing in Japan alone is dope.

most overrated show:

8July2000

Caravan2001

Quote from: susep73 on March 12, 2010, 10:59:40 PM

Meh.

14June00 is a great show.  Sick jam out of Gumbo.  The jam out of Twist > Fuk-u-oka Jam 1 is dope!  Phish playing in Japan alone is dope.

most overrated show:

8July2000

Maybe it is overrated by people who were there, compared to people who weren't there.  The experience of seeing Phish in Japan as a whole is probably one of most seriously underrated events ever.  I personally liked the show on the 13th better (Nagoya), but both shows are sick in their own way.  Of course people that were in Japan (like myself) are going to hype the shit out of it and if you were not there, it might be hard for you to get behind all of that hype 100%. The bottom line is that almost every Japan 2000 shows has some sickness, except maybe Hibya which was a little lackluster playing wise, but was outdoors in downtown Tokyo surrounded by skyscrapers, so it was about more than the music.  And they had fried octopus balls.....to me, the most overrated show is Dayton '97....it's got some cool stuff (Dayton Jam), but there are way better shows on that tour...