News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R2/W03: 03-14-1993 Western State College Gym, Gunnison, CO

Started by rowjimmy, February 24, 2008, 08:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Oh, yeah, bitches... It's on.
This one has it all... Or does it?
You tell me.

Here's the source(s) for the mp3s:
Phish
3/14/93
Western State College Gym - Gunnison, CO

SndChk & Set 1 Source: SBD > ? > XLII
Transfer: HK TD4400 Cassette Deck > Steinberg VSL2020 > Wavelab > WAVs > FLAC

Set 2 Source: Sbd>Cass>DAT
Transfer: DA-20 mkii->Delta Dio 2496->Soundforge 4.5 (resampled 48->44.1 on setting 4 w/anti alias filter)->CDWAV->SHN

Disc 1
Sound Check:
01. Loving Cup
02. Tales of Brave Ulysses / Sunshine of Your Love
03. Lifeboy

Set I:
04. Loving Cup
05. Foam
06. Guehlah Papyrus
07. Sparkle
08. Stash
09. Paul and Silas
10. Sample in a Jar
11. Reba
12. Punch You in the Eye
13. Runaway Jim

Disc 2
Set II:
01. Halley's Comet
02. David Bowie
03. The Ballad of Curtis Loew
04. You Enjoy Myself-> Owner of a Lonely Heart-> Low Rider-> Spooky-> Oye Como Va-> You Enjoy Myself*
05. Lifeboy
06. Rift
07. Big Ball Jam
08. Great Gig in the Sky->HYHU
09. The Squirming Coil

Encore:
[Memories]
[Sweet Adeline]
10. Golgi Apparatus

*End of instrumental jam included a quote tease of "A Spanish Piece" (Pink Floyd). 
Vocal jam contained: "We Will Rock You" (Queen), "We Are the Champions" (Queen), and "Welcome to the Machine."

Notes: There was an analog flip during Lifeboy which has been edited as seamlessly as possible using soundforge. I also added a fade at the end of the last track using soundforge.

Memories and Sweet Adeline were inaudible and did not appear on my DAT.

Aug was kind enough to up this bastard to the etree. As the sets come from different sources and only Dead seeders are bold enough to combine sources to a single seed... here are the two links that you need for lossless lovin':
Set One + SDCK
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=513396

Set Two
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=513395
Thanks, Augusten.

Here's some mp3 action for yer ipods:
Set 1:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/k5uny9
Set 2:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7w4psv

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

antelope19

Nice pick RJ.....I don't know that I've ever given this one a listen.  Thanks.   :-D
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Bobafett

i know i haven't heard either of these sets, so thanks for a new one to me.  the YEM looks pretty tight on paper, and a Halley's opener is always nice. 
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

khalpin

I've only ever heard set two from this one, so this will be good to hear.

Sound Check:
Loving Cup: Cuts in towards the end, not really long enough to review

Tales of Brave Ulysses / Sunshine of Your Love: Never heard this tune before(Ulysses).  Interesting.  I'd like to hear them cover the whole tune start to finish.

Lifeboy - Interesting to hear it during soundcheck, with random comments and a loose style, but otherwise, I'm not much of a fan of this one.

Set I:
Loving Cup: Good tune.  A bit rough around the edges, but pretty good for such an early version.

Foam: As usual, the band fine tunes themselves early in the first set.  Always love a good Foam.  This doesn't disappoint.  Holy crap that got fast.  That last segment with Trey rippin' away was off the chain!

Guehlah Papyrus Cameron McKinney?  Who's that and what instrument is he playing?  A lot of reverb/echo on the vocals here.  Not a huge fan of this song, except for the Asse Festival section in the middle.  Which is followed by a little St. Patrick's Day jig.  Nice. 

Sparkle: Another shout out to Cameron.  I don't hear any additional instruments, though.  Is this guy dancing onstage or something?  Otherwise, your standard Sparkle.

Stash: Solid composed section followed by some nice interplay between Mike and Trey.  Starting to get quite improvisational.  Can't really hear Page too well.  Fishman doing his standard stuff in the background. ~9:00 Fishman starts with the drum rolls and brings them back to the standard Stash chord progression.  Pretty good version.  It started to get really interesting there.  Would've liked if it lasted a little longer.

Paul and Silas: I like hearing this one. Some really sweet solo-ing by Trey.

Sample in a Jar: Sample is Sample.

Reba: Pretty tight composed section.  I only noticed one little flub, which is pretty good.  Nice jam section.  Very enjoyable listen.  Not crazy, just good jamming.  Uh-oh.  More Cameron shout-outs...and now he's playing piano.  That was interesting...  And then the whistling.  And did I just hear a 10 year old singing "Bag it"?  I guess that's Cameron.

Punch You in the Eye: Always good to hear.  Nice ripping by Trey.  Pretty tight version overall, especially given how fast this version is.

Runaway Jim: Short and sweet.  To the point.

Pretty good for a first set.  Nothing too crazy, but generally well-played all around.  Highlights being Foam, Stash and Reba.  Overall, I'd give it a solid B.  Set Two review to follow.

khalpin

The set two source sounds real nice.

Set II:
Halley's Comet: Short version.  Sounds good.  I like this as a set opener.  Goes right into...
David Bowie: Short intro, not even a minute of the high hat.  Interesting to hear the echo on the vocals. Nice and tight composed section.  Good jam section, too, with some nice playing by Trey.  A couple good peaks in there.  Starts to get a bit expiremental at the end but they go to the finale before anything crazy happens.  Not the tightest ending.  Pretty good version overall, but the ending brings it down a notch.
The Ballad of Curtis Loew: A nice rarity.  Good vocals on this one.
YEM: There were a couple small snags in the beginning, but that's being critical.  I like the octave-slides Trey does ~5:20.  Can't say I've heard him do that before.  Very Steve Howe-ish.  Nice playing around "the note", too.  The jam gets a little funky.  Then you can hear Mike starting in with the Owner of a Lonely Heart riff.  Trey and Page join in.  Trey sings the "Move yourself".  Now I know why they never covered a Yes tune.  This is shortly followed by a short Low Rider jam.  Then some fiddling around followed by a Spooky jam.  Actually, the Spooky jam is pretty cool, or is that the Oye Como Va section, ah yes it is.  Then the dreaded vocal jam.  We will rock you?....ouch.  Welcome to the machine, too.  Wow, they're just having a blast at this point.  That's pretty much what this whole YEM has been about...them having fun onstage.  Now it's the pirate talk.  Isn't Talk Like a Pirate Day in September?   It's definitely a fun and interesting listen, but doesn't really hold up to many repeated listens, I don't think.
Lifeboy: Bathroom break
Rift: Pretty fast version, although it contains a couple flubs.  Still, I'm a fan of this tune.
Big Ball Jam: Pretty much unreviewable.
Great Gig in the Sky->HYHU: Probably a blast to see live.  Not so much on tape.
The Squirming Coil: I like this as a set closer.  Nice to see Page get a solo spot.
Golgi Apparatus: Golgi is Golgi

Pretty decent set, but it kind of went south the second half.  I'd give it a B- and probably the same for the show overall.

sophist

Sound Check:
Loving Cup
Kind of sloppy, but cool to hear the brief banter (Trey apologizing for flubbing)

Tales of Brave Ulysses / Sunshine of Your Love
This would of been a cool sequence had they pulled it out during a show.  Trey rips a few lines and the vocals sound good. 

Lifeboy
Interesting banter, and a little sloppy at times. 

Set I:
Loving Cup
Very tight version, and vastly different from the sound check version.  Trey has a nice solo.  The boys sound tight and I dig LC as a first set opener.   

Foam
The boys pick up steam here, and play a wonderful version.  I always like how they placed Foam in the first set, as it was a perfect warm up song.  This particular version is pretty tight and the boys sound good.   

Guehlah Papyrus
Standard version, but tight none the less

Sparkle
Three weeks in a row??? You guys must dig the "antics" of this song.  As par, it is a standard version of the era.  A fun song and placed well in the first set (better to get it out the way before the meat of the set). 

Stash
Time for take off!!!  The opening lines of the composed section are delivered perfectly, and you instantly tell its gonna be a face melting version.  Nice little improvised line by Page in the opening sequence (its very brief).  Very well played composed section (a few small flubs).  Fish is on, he is beating his kit like an ugly step child, and his use of dynamics can be heard here.  The intro into the jam begins with Trey using tension and release lines, followed by some Hendrix like trill work.  Page picks up on it quickly and the band is off.  Trey is just on for this version, and I really dig the diminished lines he's throwing in to build the tension.  ~6:50 it gets kind of psychedelic and builds to a peak, and then descends into a tonal black hole.  You can hear the tension building again, and Trey sets it up perfectly for the next peak.  Nice work by Mike and Fish @ ~7:45-8:30 mark.  Mike is killing the jazz lines.  The jam takes a dissonant turn around the 8:40 mark, and continues to build tension, and finally releases at the ~9:20 mark -> outro.  Great version. 

Paul and Silas
Standard version.  I like the placement of a blue grass tune here.  Trey takes a nice solo which turns melodic -> bluegrass.  I would also add a segue sign here as they launch straight into Sample.     

Sample in a Jar
Standard version.  Nothing to write home about. 

Reba
The last sequence of the set looks dynamite on paper, and it sounds just as good to my ears.  This Reba isn't legendary, but it does hold its own for the era.  The composed section is really tight and I hear a few minor flubs (really, really small).  The jam begins quietly and Trey takes his time to come into the jam.  He starts out with a pretty run and fish really accents the off beats of the run.  I like the theme ~7:00-7:15.  The jam picks up steam quickly and the boys are hitting on all cylinders.  Page is on during this jam, some real nice work by him.  I like how Mike echoes Trey throughout the jam.  The jam reaches a good peak thus the jam ends, and then the boys bring Cameron out to play piano.  Kind of cool, but I think it loses it flare just on the tape.  I do like how they launch back into the reprise.     

Punch You in the Eye
A short version of this song.  I like it better when they stretch out the funk at the beginning.  This version is a pure rocker.  Trey shreds like a mad man during the solo. 

Runaway Jim
Standard version.  Nice little "jam" and its a nice way to end the set. 

Set II:
Halley's Comet
standard version, and a nice way to start the set.  Nice little segue into Bowie. 

David Bowie
Tight composed section and a short jam section.  Kind of funky, I def dig it and the peak of the jam is intense (nice tension and release by Trey).  The trill section is well played.  Great condensed version of Bowie. 

The Ballad of Curtis Loew
Great cover.  The boys do a good job with the vocals and it also has that sound like Phish wrote it.  Trey shreds it in this song.  I like the country twang in the vocals.  Trey has a great solo too.  Solid cover.   

You Enjoy Myself-> Owner of a Lonely Heart-> Low Rider-> Spooky-> Oye Como Va-> You Enjoy Myself
Solid intro section (Trey has a few flubs).  Pretty fast tempo too and they pretty much nail it.  The nirvana section is quite sublime.  The pre build up is well played as well.   Mikey has a nice solo during the "jazzy" section of the breakdown.  The build up brings the perfect amount of momentum (Trey does some really cool comping).  The "solo" is flawless as usual, and Trey sustains a note for several measures, pretty cool.  The "vamp" section is funky yet it also shreds.  Page takes a nasty solo during the tramps portion of the song (Trey has some funky comping during the solo).  The segue into lonely heart is flawless and sets up a shred fest by the boys (Page takes the lead with the shredding).  Trey absolutely shreds the fuck out of this sequence.  So nasty is the enlightened Chuck Norris.  I love how Trey teases Low Rider and then boom! The band is jamming out the theme of Low Rider.  Very funky comp by Trey ~12:30 mark, which builds into a dynamics type jam.  Trey takes the lead and lays it down -> LR theme.  The spooky theme is cool too, and the segue isn't as smooth but it still smokes.  The boys still funk it  and keep it face melt-tastic.  The segue into Oye Como Va is very sick and Trey shreds it.  Very sick jam.  The segue back into YEM vocal jam is just as nasty.  Super nasty bass work by Mike (~18:30 mark).  The vocal jam is very sick and has several teases that were interesting to hear in the vocal jam format.         

Lifeboy
Better than the sound check.  Standard version. 

Rift
Tight version, and also standard.  I'm a fan of this song and I love hearing it performed well. 

Big Ball Jam
Big Ball is Big Ball.  Nice version. 

Great Gig in the Sky->HYHU
A nice treat.  Great placement in the set. 

The Squirming Coil
A perfect way to end any set.  Great version, page again shines and shows his talent.  Such a beautiful song when performed correctly.  The boys play a tight version and I like this version.   

Encore:
Memories
N/A

Sweet Adeline
N/A

Golgi Apparatus
A old school favorite of mine and the boys nail it.  Great way to end the show. 

Overall the second set carries this show and puts it in the upper tier of 93 shows.  I give this show a 8.5/10.  The second set is the heat. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Caravan2001

people fail to realize that this was haley's bustout....back then this was big deal.....starting with the late 90's, they played it all the time, a few times tour....back in spring 93, it hadn't been played in almost 500 (474!) shows, so when they dropped this to open the second set it was humongous!! plus they hadn't played curtis lowe for a while either.....300 shows!!! This was a flippin kick down show if there ever was one.....nice up....I' planning on seeding the set II aud at some point...Mar already seeded my set 1 aud.....I also can't believe that ther are people who listen to phish that have never heard this one....it's a classik!

August

Quote from: caravan2001 on February 26, 2008, 07:06:07 PM
I also can't believe that ther are people who listen to phish that have never heard this one....it's a classik!

rowjimmy

Quote from: August on February 27, 2008, 12:52:38 AM
Quote from: caravan2001 on February 26, 2008, 07:06:07 PM
I also can't believe that ther are people who listen to phish that have never heard this one....it's a classik!
QQFT

My review is pending. It's hard to take notes when listening in the car.

Caravan2001

[/quote]
QQFT

My review is pending. It's hard to take notes when listening in the car.
[/quote]

"I really like the part in YEM when *****skiiiiiidd......CRASH!******"

Mr Minor

I always loved this show.  I remember having it on tape sooo many years ago, and was happy to get it in lossless form. 

First set is solid, always enjoy a good Reba.

Second set- Halley's is great, Curtis Loew is a great song you rarely catch, YEM- great jams and song teases, Great Gig- live it's a blast...

Good pick, RJ.  1993 has some gems...

August

Mr Minor

August

Cup - Nice opener. Page showing off his new Grand for the peepz.

Foam - Mike had a cool variation in his intro. Nice muting by Trey underneath Page's solo. Great Trey solo.

Guelah/Sparkle - Uh huh

Stash - Here comes some meat. Very playful composed section. Really cool tension section with modulation and a great release, too.

Silas - Killer Page solo

Sample - Still new. Only 5th time played.

Reba - Really just a perfect version with a majestic jam. War Dance was cool and Cameron finishes up with some vocal help.

PYITE - I love the older versions. Mike seems to be more fluid in them.

Jim - Strange placement. Standard version...

Halley's - Kickdizzle. Liitle confused with the lyrics, heh? Very short and slams right into >

Bowie - They find a sweet groove at the start of the jam. Very intense and coherent jam. Top notch Bowie, d00dz.

Curtis - One of the last times played. Always welcomed.

YEM - THE Classic YEM! One of the best they ever played. Spirited WUDMTF section. Tons of "teases" which continues into the vocal jam. I love Trey crackin' up during it.

Lifeboy - 3rd time played.

Rift - Got a little fucked up during Page's solo. (not me, the jam)

BBJ/Great Gig - Debut for Fish. Cool stuff.

Coil - Always nice. Solid stuffs.

Memories/Adeline - Not on tape

Golgi - The encore

Awesome pick and show.
I give it an A.
a