News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Political Vids/Images

Started by rowjimmy, March 19, 2008, 03:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Trump was in favor of the ethics "reforms" he simply criticized them for starting off with that item.

Everyone else on the planet blasted them for it though. Not sure why that buffoon gets the credit.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 03, 2017, 01:53:47 PM
Trump was in favor of the ethics "reforms" he simply criticized them for starting off with that item.

Everyone else on the planet blasted them for it though. Not sure why that buffoon gets the credit.

a broken clock is right twice a day.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mbw

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 03, 2017, 01:53:47 PM

well, they didn't scrap it cause pelosi or warren were upset about it.
the repubs all now are fighting over who gets to suck his cock the hardest, so i think the credit does go to him.

sunrisevt

There was also a vigorous call-in campaign in the last 12-18 hours; I like to think that some thousands of constituents calling their offices on a single issue might have more sway with a legislator than the temperamental tweeting twatbomb does.

Trump is a fucking artist of taking credit for other people's work, too. It's a core principle of his business model.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

mbw

Quote from: sunrisevt on January 03, 2017, 02:45:23 PM
There was also a vigorous call-in campaign in the last 12-18 hours; I like to think that some thousands of constituents calling their offices on a single issue might have more sway with a legislator than the temperamental tweeting twatbomb does.

please.

rowjimmy

Quote from: sunrisevt on January 03, 2017, 02:45:23 PM

Trump is a fucking artist of taking credit for other people's work, too. It's a core principle of his business model.

Newer press reports cite the phones ringing off the hook as the primary push.

sls.stormyrider

the phones were ringing off the hook only because Trump was tweeting.
He made half of those call himself.

ask him - he'll tell you.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mbw

next you'll tell me it was cause of online petition.

sls.stormyrider

are you implying that on line petitions don't work??
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sunrisevt

Online petitions, I think not. Coordinated calling at the DC & home-state offices, and in-person interactions, can have a positive effect. When office business as usual stops dead because the entire staff is answering constituent calls, they notice.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

mbw

It's cute that you think mitch mcconnel is intimidated by a bunch of liberals calling his office and crying.  Or that republican congresspeople govern by the will of their constituents.

Sorry, but the cheeto with the hairplugs said stop and they said yes boss.

And for the record I am 110% in favor of trump calling the bluff of these corporations and threatening them with tariffs up the ass if they dont bring manufacturing jobs back.

MAGA BITCHES!

sunrisevt

I'll grant you that most of my calls have been to the offices of the Vermont delegation; that may be why my impressions are different.

Hicks

Quote from: mbw on January 03, 2017, 05:38:56 PM

And for the record I am 110% in favor of trump calling the bluff of these corporations and threatening them with tariffs up the ass if they dont bring manufacturing jobs back.

MAGA BITCHES!

I look forward to the day when my son or daughter can get a low paying job making Nikes or iPhones right here in the good ol USA. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

runawayjimbo

It's cute that you think mitch mcconnel is intimidated by a bunch of liberals calling his office and crying.  Or that republican congresspeople govern by the will of their constituents.

Only Republicans do this? If that were true we wouldn't have the ACA which has never breached the 50% favorability threshold.

I agree with the general thrust of your argument tho. I also lol'd at the online petition line.

See, here's where we part ways:  protectionist trade policy is dangerous and self-defeating and ultimately most harmful to the very people it purports to benefit. Also, issuing threats to private companies is highly unbecoming of the office of the president. Especially when conducted on Twitter FFS.

I'm glad we'll still find areas of disagreement for the next 4 years tho. Here I was thinking we were gonna be on the same side for once.  :-P
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

VDB

Quote from: runawayjimbo on January 04, 2017, 03:02:56 PM
protectionist trade policy is dangerous and self-defeating and ultimately most harmful to the very people it purports to benefit.

Are you saying that because of, like, North Korea, or other more gray-area countries where we've been able to isolate the effects of trade policy versus other economic variables? I don't have dogmatic views on this, so that's an honest inquiry.

Quote from: runawayjimbo on January 04, 2017, 03:02:56 PMAlso, issuing threats to private companies is highly unbecoming of the office of the president. Especially when conducted on Twitter FFS.

True, but if there's one thing both Trump and big companies have in common it's understanding the power and value of PR.
I'd also say, with respect to what's "unbecoming" of the POTUS, that Trump could easily (and, to no small degree, rightly) fire back that his comportment is what it is and he "won" nevertheless. Lots of people expect him to act exactly this way.
Is this still Wombat?