News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R3/W05: 08-01-1999 Fuji Rock Fest, Naeba, Niigata, Japan

Started by Caravan2001, June 02, 2008, 02:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

Phish
Fuji Rock Festival - Naeba, Niigata, Japan
08-01-99

Source: SBD >DAT >CDR >EAC >SHN
Converted to shn and uploaded by Marcus Karlstad.

1: Cities, Rift, Wilson, The Moma Dance, The Divided Sky, Horn, Split Open and Melt, Poor Heart, Bouncing Around the Room, Run Like an Antelope

2: Possum > Tweezer > Llama > Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, The Wedge, Lizards, You Enjoy Myself

E: Sweet Adeline, Tweezer Reprise

Here's my pick for this week.  I couldn't decide what to pick for the life of me.  I don't know how well known this show is, I think the night before is the one that gets the most hype, for the 2001->Bowie, but this one is sweet too.  Super old school setlist.  If not for Moma Dance, Rift and Wedge, this show could be straight out of 1990.  Hopefully this one is fairly fresh to at least a couple of you.  I hadn't heard it for a long time, so i was glad to dust it off.  Etree or my torrent app was giving me fits, so I am hoping Aug might be able to seed the lossless, since I keep getting rejected by etree.  I will be posting the links to the lossy version shortly.

pnchundi

that looks fantastic- and the second set?  :banana: straight old school.  its been awhile since you would get both a tweezer and a full Mike.s.   Cant wait to hear it again.  I just double checked my lists and i do have it.

blatboom

Looks like I'm gonna need to find a new pick!  :frustrated:  :-D

Great pick Caravan!!

Caravan2001

Here are the lossy links:

set 1:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ii2tyh

set 2:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dm19zi

August will be posting the lossless tomorrow. Sorry for the technical difficulties. Enjoy the show!

Caravan2001

Quote from: blatboom on June 02, 2008, 09:51:25 AM
Looks like I'm gonna need to find a new pick!  :frustrated:  :-D

Great pick Caravan!!

Sorry dude....great minds think alike  :wink:

phishtube

If my memory serves me correct.. this Tweezer is more than pleasing.  :-)  Thanks to all that helped get this one out there!
-pay attention, focus, and stay in the moment-

khalpin

Quote from: caravan2001 on June 02, 2008, 11:00:08 AM

set 1:

set 2:

August will be posting the lossless tomorrow. Sorry for the technical difficulties. Enjoy the show!
Curious, are the lossy files mp3s or aac's?  I'm in class this week and don't have regular computer access.  Wondering if I should get the lossless and burn it or if it'll play on my cheapo mp3-only player.

Caravan2001

Quote from: khalpin on June 02, 2008, 07:27:22 PM
Quote from: caravan2001 on June 02, 2008, 11:00:08 AM

set 1:

set 2:

Curious, are the lossy files mp3s or aac's?  I'm in class this week and don't have regular computer access.  Wondering if I should get the lossless and burn it or if it'll play on my cheapo mp3-only player.

the files are mp3/320

G. Augusto

Caravan2001

pnchundi

the version i have is audience and pretty hissy.  Hows yer version A?  I have only made it through set one so far, but I am really enjoying this.  Early hightlights pre-review, Moma is nice and funky.  Cities has that summer 99 stretched out groove vibe but its still good.  Divided sky is all over the place- cant tell if i like it.  The wilson is dark and nasty and thoroughly enjoyable

Caravan2001

As with almost every Japan show, this one is always in debate- is it a SBD or a kick ass AUD?  I don;t feel like revisiting that argument, but I will say that the source I posted, and I assume Aug's is the same, sounds kick-ass.  I happen to think it is an A+ aud, but it always gets spread around as a "SBD"....regardless, it's sounds great, and no hiss.....

G. Augusto

Cities - Solid way to open the show.

Rift - When was the last time Trey nailed his second solo section?

Wilson/Moma - Fish goes off a bit in Wilson and Moma had a few Wilson teases in the intro.

Sky - Pretty solid. Nice placement, too.

Horn/Split - I used this Split to open the Japan Mix. I like the modulation to the major key and the subsequent resolution.

Heart/Bouncing - Nice, extended solo by Page in Heart.

Antelope - Pretty ripping version. Not one of the all timers, but very good.

Possum - Trey was having a ton of fun with his Whammy pedal. Nice rendish...

Tweezer - Sweet majestic, uplifting jam. They kinda force the segue into >>>

Llama - Which rips all kinds of buttz.

Mike's - Nothing too nuts, but good >>>

H2 - Love the lengthy jam before H2. The transition into it is buttery.

Week - It does it's thing.

Wedge - Decent

Lizards - Trey butchers his solo a few times...

YEM - Very well played. Thickness abound, thanks to Mike.

Adeline - WTF is going on there????

Reprise - Of the Tweezer variety.

Nice way to close out their first japan visit.
Tons of "hits" and overall, pretty solid.
B+
a

pnchundi

Its funny how sometimes you can have a show, listen to it, and not really feel one way or another, but when you take it out for another listen, it sneaks up on you. 

Cities- solid open to the show, nice and slowed down, typical summer 99 vibe
Rift- more energy here, with trey and page trading licks. 
Wilson-another one of the more dark wilson's, the ending is great
Moma-back to the funk!
Divided Sky- early sections are well played, but then trey seems to be absolutely lost after the "pause." He just cant get anything going, like he was trying to hard.  The rest of the band is playing really well, and eventually trey catches back up to them.  The jam ends up having several nice peaks
Horn-terrible.  terrible. terrible.  this horn seems slower and even more plodding than usual.  And Trey's solo?
Split-As if to make up for that stinker, the Split brings major heat.  Trey explores some interesting phrases
Poor Heart-upbeat and fast paced. Page sounds good
Bouncing-yep, its another solid bouncin
Antelope-again the summer 99 treatment does this some good, new pockets and corners see some light, with a darker edge to the groove

Possum- fun! It seemed like trey was trying to fuck with Mike a little bit, by playing super slow in some sections, but all four explode later on
Tweezer-Killer tweezer.  Mike is pounding the bass lines, page has great effects, fish is on fire, and trey is off to the races.  Around the 7 min mark when the jam starts to lose steam and the band borders on sliding off into the deep end, Trey jump starts Llama
Llama-major heat again!
Mike's Song-rock solid Mikes.  Up and grooving!   I dont know if its considered H2 or not, but there is a point where it almost sounds like they were transitioning into either Simple or Whats the Use, but it is a sweet new jam instead
H2-sweet segment
Groove-well played and lots of fun
Wedge- I am little surprised by this one, as the placement seems weird.  If this had been a show in the states, i think the Mike's Sandwich would have closed things out.  Wedge sounds great, but its strange to have it buried so deep in the second set
Lizards-i think they are getting tired.  Trey is a little off, but this song has always been about Page and he saves the day
YEM-not ground breaking, but damn good.   Vocal jam is non-existent

Sweet Adeline- odd choice, perhaps making up for the YEM ending?
TweePrise- saw this one coming, but it still rocks

Great show, especially for summer 99.  The setlist is incredible, very old school song choices, with lots of jam songs instead of one or two per set.  B+

Hicks

Listened to this one while cleaning up the house today, an all around solid affair but other than a nice laid back Moma, a slick and dynamic Split, a soaring Tweezer and an interesting post Mike's jam not much else stood out. 

This recording smokes, I think the quiet Japanese crowds are what makes folks mistake these for SBDs, but this is clearly a very nice AUD as the crowd sounds really near during the Divided Sky pause.  I think the slow tempos of a lot of the tunes on this one kept me from getting as excited about this show as I might have been about another with such a killer setlist.  Overall I give it a B/B+ with the marathon second set having a slight edge over the first set. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.