News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R3/W07: 04-23-1994 The Fox Theater, Atlanta, GA

Started by khalpin, June 16, 2008, 07:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flufhed

Quote from: Hicks on June 19, 2008, 07:24:36 PM
Quote from: flufhed on June 19, 2008, 07:19:34 PM
Quote from: Hicks on June 19, 2008, 07:16:24 PM

I'm embarrassed at the amount of time I spent searching for that, so it better be frickin' funny!!!!

Shit...is that me or you?   :clap:

By the way, who told you I was passing riff-raff?  Was it a?  He likes to make me cry...

At this point, probably both of us. 

I can smell riff-raff from a mile away my friend. 

Wow you must have a HUGE freakin nose!

(I can only pick it up at about a quarter of a mile...)

flufhed

WARNING:  THIS REVIEW IS IN NO WAY OR FORM ACTUALLY ASSOCIATED WITH R3/W07...I don't want to piss off Hicks.   :-D  :wink:

But augustus said go ahead and post it...and I was halfway done at that point.  Hope I can get in the next round...this is a great idea.

4-23-94 - Fox Theatre - Atlanta, GA

Set I

Bitch - Look out for Trey tonight I think...he's off and running.  This sounds a little more like blues than some other bitches I have heard.  I like that.  Short and sweet opener.

Rift - One of my favorite tunes and I love to hear it early in a show.  This one is standard fare.  Nothing spectacular, but tight and full of energy.

Fee - OK, I get it.  Still warming up...  First song I ever heard, so always stoked to hear it live.  I like where Page took this one.  What is Trey laughing at for a change... a flub?

Peaches - Never minded this awesome cover.  Even though early versions sounded a bit rough and this one is no exception.  Still I like it but maybe later in the set.  They better jam something soon!

Poor Heart - A second opener maybe?  Did we really just hear the soundcheck but the audience was allowed in for it?  YOU'RE GOING TO JAIL!!!  Although you could start to really sense the fun they were going to have with this show...Fish hollering, Cactus mentions...

Stash - About freaking time...(Meat I believe augustus calls it?) this better be good.  Fish is playing those hi-hat's...that is jumping out.  Sounds good.  I like the first part of this jam alot.  All 4 of them are kicking in nicely.  Middle of the jam is tight.  And to the end I like how they built it up, and then drop it on you.  Better versions out there?  Maybe so, maybe not...actually, definitely so.  But it rocked.

Esther - Getting a theme here...very old stuff!  Me likey... and mmmm...secret language, nobody got it though.  Pretty standard here, and a nice cool down after the smokin Stash.

Disease - Very nice placement, after the Esther after the Stash.  Up, down, up.  Smokin hot I thought.  Trey hit this one hard, and it is always one of my favorite jams.  Love what Page is doing towards the end too...but I liked my DWD's a few years later when they got longer and more involved.

Caravan/Sneakers - THANKS MERL!!!  Must have been a treat to have been there for that.  Caravan is always fun, this one didn't particularly move me but the keys sure were sweet.  Sneakers was a very weird way to end the set, and didn't see it coming, that's for sure.  Again though, thanks Merl, sounded great!

SET II

Wilson - Always love the Wilson open, but I would rather see it open 1 and not 2.  Still, great way to wake up for a set or a show!  I feel a lot of energy still, probably going to be a pretty good 2nd set.  They hit this pretty hard, then a little build/tease at the end right into...

Antelope - hell yeah, it's on!  This ain't just meat either...this is certified angus!  Clocking in at an even 12 mins, this just made my show since I already got a Stash and a Disease.  (If they play a Hood and/or YEM I might just die).  Love the way they are playing around in the intro...always one of the more entertaining parts.  After Fluffhead, this is my #2 song.  No question.  I just got up and started to dance for a minute, can't help it with this song.  Fluff makes me want to trip, this makes me want to dance.  Absolutely smoking version, blowing me up around 4 - 5 minute mark, everybody kicking in again.  Losing my mind about 7:30 in, oh and then it slows...just perfect!  mmmmm...more secret language...this just became one of my favorite versions.  Been you to have any spike, man?

Mound - Perfect song selection to catch a breath after the 'lope.  And sit down and pack a bowl of course.

Sample - Ahhh, a '94 Sample.  Nothing wrong with these, but I think they got better...still I haven't calmed down from Antelope yet or finished this bowl so this is cool.

Sparkle - Oooohh boooyy...what do they have in store next?  Always fun to hear live, always expected them to jam something out after.

Hood - Funny story, mentioned on here I have been getting my girlfriend into Phish.  We were listening one night to a Hood and I started telling her about the story behind it.  She went and looked it up on the internet, and turns out I never knew the whole story behind the song.  Where does he go when the lights go out???  Also, I was at Red Rocks when we started the Hood chant and never liked to hear this without it since...  This jam actually gets pretty long and very nice.  Page was ripping this one from start to finish.  I've heard better Hood's but this was solid.

Ginseng - I guess not so much a cool down from Hood as a cool down before...

YEM - Wow.  Wowee wow.  Stash, Antelope, Hood, YEM?  This is turning out to be a really great show.  This starts out perfectly, and it's almost creepy at points.  Hello Page!  He was really having a very good night.  Must have been Col. Bruce coming out at about 4:00?  Was he playing with Page or alone?  A volunteer for the trampoline?  ME ME ME!!!  That's too much fun.  What a crazy good version of this tune.  Those keys are killing me about halfway through, and Mike is getting down!  Solid funk/jazz/rock jam w/ the Hoochie Coo tease...love that too!  And what Trey is goofing around with about the 13:00 mark or so is awesome.  Total insanity into...

Who By Fire - Had to turn it waaaaaaay up to hear this.  I would have loved to have heard this more instead of traditional vocal jams...this was really freaking cool.

Golgi - Staaaatus...  Like this much better in set 1 though I guess I see the merits as a closer.  Really standard, good energy tune that was pretty well played.

Freebird - How can you not love this?  OK...so non-heads hear that and cringe...but I'll never forget the first time I heard one on a tape and the first time I saw one live.  Love the Freebird...love it as an encore.

Amazing show...totally blew me away.  Was not expecting to enjoy it nearly as much as I did.

Set 1 started off slow but after the Stash everything was gravy.  The Antelope was absolutely phenomenal.  As was the YEM, and Merl showing up along with Col. Bruce in set 2.

Giving this an A/A- for the simple reason that being early '94 they still had some developing to do but this show was very solid and well played.  As always their energy was the driving force behind everything, and have to believe that was just feeding off the always smokin Fox Theatre atmosphere. 

G. Augusto

Quote from: flufhed on June 19, 2008, 10:04:00 PM
But augustus said go ahead and post it.

August, augustus & G. Augusto are three totally different dudes with three different personalities.
They just all happen to initial their posts.
I have yet to meet the other two.
a

Caravan2001

02.  Funky Bitch - great version.  I love this as an opener.
03.  Rift     -a decent version.  This song rarely goes anywhere different though....
04.  Fee >        see above!
05.  Peaches en Regalia- always welcome, anywhere, anytime.  Not the tightest version, but a kickdown regardless.
06.  Poor Heart - aww-ite....
07.  Stash-nice jam, nothing crazy
08.  Esther- ok
09.  Down with Disease -short and sweet.  I really like this one.  Typical of '94, but the jam gets rocking.  They end it too soon.
10.  Caravan - it's obvious how I feel about this track.  Takes a little while for them to lock in and gel with Merle, but they save it by the end.  Still, I love it anytime, cause it's a hard one to catch.  I have probably only seen it 4 or 5 times in 300 shows....
11.  High-Heeled Sneakers - I like this a lot.  Just takes me back to listening to the Keystone albums in 7th grade.....Go Merle! Iand nice solo work by Page too!

Disc 2 / Set IIa      00:52:18
01.  Intro/Crowd                   00:19
02.  Wilson >I like he way they start it.  When Page did the siren effect, I though I was getting pulled over!  My heart literally jumped!
03.  Run Like an Antelope- I love this early in the set.  it's a closer too often.  I;d like it as an opener too.  Nice kick drum by Fish in the beginning.  Pretty good jam, must have been smoking in that little theatre.
04.  Mound- unless they are really in the pocket, this one is always the same.
05.  Sample in a Jar -nice soloing by Trey, again, standard for this tour, but very good.
06.  Sparkle  - skipped it.....
07.  Harry Hood - awesome Hood- so far the highlight of the set for me.  again, nice job by Fish....
08.  Ginseng Sullivan   - could BARELY hear this  :|

01.  You Enjoy Myself - good version, on par with the rest of the show
02.  Who By Fire  -I always like hearing something new. It's not Jungle Boogie, but I still like it....
03.  Golgi Apparatus - a welcome closer.....
05.  Freebird -this would be great if it was your first time seeing it.  Or if they played Dog Log afterwards  :wink:

All in all a pretty good show.  I appreciate the pick as I had never heard it before.  That's what I like most about the show club, it gets me to listen to new shows.....High marks go for the Merle segment  as well as Who By Fire.  The rest is pretty standard '94, and I'm sure this was a very fun show to attend.  I'm gonna give it a B-......Thanks khalpin....

blatboom

Only a week late getting this one done...

Set I:

Funky Bitch - this always works as an opener (again)...they're ripping right out the box

Rift - love early 90s Rifts.  high energy here, not exactly nailing the parts but whatever..

Fee - crowd pleasing at it's finest.  Fish's drums pounding away..I still wish they would've taken this one out more but I guess so does everybody else

>Peaches - nice!  this recording sounds sick also..great version.

Poor Heart - mixin it up.  Not one of my favorite bluegrass numbers, but it is fun.

Stash - oh boy.  finally some wiggle-room.  They absolutely nail the main section, then Trey takes over early...some typically sick tension and release stuff here.  Stash is always the hero in sets like this.  I freakin loved this one.

Esther - cool!  Let's see how well they do with it..love all the themes they play with here.  Nice version, poor Esther.

>DWD - is that bass noise I hear?  We haven't had many of these to review that I can recall...slowish pace, but I'm loving it.  Trey hits the solo, but you can tell they're still figuring the jam out...

Caravan - feat. Merl Saunders.  that's cool as shit..this is one jazz number I wish they never put down...good stuff there.

High-Heeled Sneakers - cool.  Phish is so respectful of their guests.

Typical good 94 first set I suppose.  Would have loved to see the band during this era.  That Stash was sick.

Set II:

Wilson - more energy to kick off set II.  Not much to say besides that..

>Antelope - love this anywhere any time.  They charge into this one after the woodblock section (name?)...this one just rages.  Oh man, Rye Rye Rocco is on point.  My favorite part of a song with nothing but awesome parts...some secret language stuff thrown in...killer Antelope.

Mound - love Mound.  Why'd they drop it again?  I guess they don't really differ much, but still it pumps.

Sample - well on its way to being overplayed...I hated this tune when I first got into Phish, seeing zero pre-hiatus, but the first one I saw PH converted me for life  :-D  rockin Sample...

Sparkle - ugh.

Harry Hood - now we're talkin.  Mike's been come through clear as a bell all night, he's really shining here though.  This is just a perfectly average beautiful Hood.

Ginseng Sullivan - unmiked, and barely audible, but I love all the shhhhhs from the crowd, cracks me up every time!

YEM - YES.  How often has Hood & YEM been played in such close proximity?  They're pretty much nailing it...fan gets to try out the tramps (Trey with the broke leg and all) "sooo close"  ...the jam is just a beast, what the hell is that they're teasing??  (n/m I looked it up..)  The keyboards w/Col. Bruce get a *little* out of hand, but still lots of fun being had...

>Who By Fire - wow.  didn't know this at all, I even Googled it to be sure, and I sure don't.  but man, this is some Sweet stuff.  check out the YouTube I found below...

Golgi - back to reality with a bang.

E:

Freebird - never did much for me...

Not many jams to hang your hat on tonight, but what was there was of a high quality.  Loved the Stash & Antelope.  YEM>Who By Fire really caught my ear...They closed set II out in style that's for sure.  I need to check out Leonard Cohen I guess...anyway the tightness of this era can't be denied.  thanks Khalpin!  B.