News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R3/W07: 04-23-1994 The Fox Theater, Atlanta, GA

Started by khalpin, June 16, 2008, 07:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khalpin

After changing my mind for the seventh or eighth time, I'm going with this one.  I'm not sure if everyone is familiar with this one or not.  Apart from the YEM being featured in a recent episode of last season's "August's Anniversary", I haven't heard any mention of this show.

:phish: 04/23/94 The Fox Theatre - Atlanta, GA

Disc 1 / Set I                               01:03:34
01.  Intro/Crowd                    00:29
02.  Funky Bitch                    04:44
03.  Rift                       06:02
04.  Fee >             05:39
05.  Peaches en Regalia    03:07
06.  Poor Heart         02:53
07.  Stash       12:02
08.  Esther                   09:12
09.  Down with Disease                    07:57
10.  Caravan                    05:42
11.  High-Heeled Sneakers                    05:47

Disc 2 / Set IIa      00:52:18
01.  Intro/Crowd                   00:19
02.  Wilson >           06:06
03.  Run Like an Antelope             12:00
04.  Mound             05:45
05.  Sample in a Jar                     04:58
06.  Sparkle                               03:57
07.  Harry Hood                     14:07
08.  Ginseng Sullivan                     05:06

Disc 3 / Set II (con't) & Encore      00:34:03
01.  You Enjoy Myself               18:55
02.  Who By Fire    03:34
03.  Golgi Apparatus             04:35
04.  Encore Break/Crowd             02:17
05.  Freebird                     04:42

Caravan and Sneakers featured Merl Saunders on keys
YEM and ensuing madness featured Col. Bruce Hampton on keys

Lossy:
Set one
http://www.sendspace.com/file/zea7x4
Set two
http://www.sendspace.com/file/k39bis

Lossless:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=515909

-Kevin

pnchundi

great choice.  I saw the 4-20 show, and had a lot of friends at the next night in NC.    I have this show and its a solid choice. 

Caravan2001

I'm psyched, because I have never heard this one.  Just need to review last week first!

birdman

My 7th show  :mrgreen:
Had a blast that night. This show falls into that vast middleground of shows I saw

Best theatre ever.
Might have to give this one a spin
Paug FTMFW!

G. Augusto

Hmmm......

Bitch - Short version, but always a good way to open up a show.

Rift/Fee - Fee w/ the megaphone. Seems like there were some megaphone/mic problems going on in the beginning.

Peaches - I like the placement, but it was a little ragged.

heart - Botched intro but featured really sweet solos by both Trey and Page.

Stash - Finally, some meat! Decent version.

Esther/Disease - Standard '94 fare. I do like the early Diseases, though. Real rippers.

Caravan - w/ Merl. Seemed pretty loose and had a different (maybe the standard) ending.

Hi-Heeled - Little chintzy for my tastes but it was the only time played. Kinda was hoping the set would end, honestly.  :|

Wilson/Antelope - Let's start over. Wilson had an extended intro, which was cool. Antelope was actually quite good and had some Secret Language in there.

Mound/Sample/Sparkle - Plenty of time to leak and powder my nose...

Hood - Nice version. Trey was doing similar stuff during Spring/Summer '94 with the intro. Pretty tripped out stuff, that is.

Ginseng - Sullivan.

YEM - Obviously, the show highlight. Nice composed section with another volunteer for the tramps section. Fantastic jam with a "R'nR Hoochie Coo" tease. Supposedly, Col. Bruce is up there, too...Jam continues and completely rages. They forgo the Vocal Jam and eventually segue into >

Who By Fire - Another one-off cover. This time, they do justice to this creepy Leonard Cohen tune. I like it.

Golgi - Finance Bawks.

Freebird - By request. NIce.

I dunno...This seems like an "off" night for the band.
It is not the tightest from the Spring but does come through with the YEM > Who By Fire.
I appreciate the gutsy pick, though.
Gonna give it a C+/C.
a

khalpin

Funky Bitch: I like this one as an opener.  Great way to kick off the set.  Pretty standard version.

Rift: Keeps the pace going.

Fee: Is what it is...

Peaches: Went into it nicely.  Probably my favorite cover tune, although there are a couple minor flaws in this version.

Poor Heart: Pretty sweet Page solo.

Stash: Another flub in the middle of the composed section by Trey.  Jam takes a while to get going.  Almost seemed like they were going to go into NO2 ~9:00.

Esther: Right before this tune started to become a rarity, so I guess it wasn't really a "treat" at the time, although I still look at it this way now.  I think I like this tune more than most people do.  Played nicely.  Trey nails the end, not that it's particularly difficult, but it can really kill the song when it's botched (cough...Clifford Ball...cough)

DwD: Pretty concise, rockin' version.

Caravan: This starts out with the band being a bit reserved.  Probably because they wanted to give Merle Saunders the spotlight.  Trey is barely playing for the first couple minutes.  It gets pretty good as it gets going, though.  One of the last times this was played.

Hi-Heeled Sneakers: Pretty gay.  What're you gonna do? 

The first set kind of plugged along with Esther being the highlight (for me, anyway).  Pretty much a B- set, I thought.  This set almost caused me to pick a different show, but anyway, onto the second:

Wilson: Love the pre-95 openings.  Otherwise pretty standard.  Goes right into:

Antelope: This is where the fun really begins.  Gets pretty fiery about six minutes in.  Would've liked it to have lasted longer, though.  But had a nice peak.

Mound: I like hearing this tune.  Good vocals and prog-ish middle section.

Sample/Sparkle: Long bathroom break.  Time to get another round of drinks.

Harry Hood: This is where it's at.  I always felt that if a show's got a good Harry Hood, the rest is all gravy.  I'm a little biased, as it's my favorite Phish tune.  This one develops beautifully.  From a solid composed section, to the nice gradual build with really nice playing by Trey, to the first mini-peak ~10:00 followed by some faster, more fiery playing, then Page comes in with the organ, then it dies down for a couple bars ~11:45 and then picks back up a bit for another mini-peak ~12:20.  This is just heaven for me.  Then it plains out, Page on the piano and....I feel good.  Great finish.  Not quite a top 5 Hood, but a great version.

Ginseng: Would've been nice to be there, but I hate acoustic, no mic's on tape.

YEM: Here's the gravy.  Some nice little rolls on the piano by Page ~3:00.  Good composed section in general.  Pretty entertaining tramps section with Trey in a cast.  "So close"   Cool RnR Hoochie Koo jam.  Trey busted right into it and the band joins in without missing a beat.  Makes me wonder how spontaneous it was.  The jam then gets quiet with Trey just noodling around for a bit.  Eventually builds slowly back up again into a pretty smoking jam, albeit short.  Sounds like it's going to go into the B&D segment.  I think this is where Col. Bruce Hampton comes out and it's just the Page & Bruce show playing some rather dissonant stuff.  The vocal jam starts but quickly goes into:

Who By Fire: This is just fantastic.  Good harmonies.  Good tune.  Very weird.  Wish they would've done it again.

Golgi: Set closer.

Freebird: Near the top of my list, as far as standard encore songs go.  Fishman's "guitar" solo always makes me smile and laugh. 

So, if my pick was next week, I probably would've have picked a different show as I changed my mind every couple days as far as which show to pick.  I love the second set of this show.  It's just the first set that really brings the show down a notch.  I give the second set an A-, with my highlight being a fantastic Hood.  With a supporting cast of a solid Antelope, YEM and that crazy Who By Fire.  Granted, there's a couple filler tunes thrown in there, too.  Maybe I'm being biased because it's my pick, I don't know.  Well, if there's another round of this club, hopefully I'll be invited back. :lol:

-Kevin

pnchundi

Funky Bitch great opening number, though this version finds everyone getting their feet wet.  Trey smokes near the end
Rift Straight forward rocking
Feeyep, well done
Peaches love this song, and this keeps the momentum going dispite a few minor mistakes
Poor Heart the song gets all quiet in the middle and becomes fun
stash great start, trey hits some cool low bendy notes around 5:45, and then by 7:30, things are starting to boil.  Nice explosion
esther Random note signal which falls on deaf ears!
DWD no nonsense rocking version
caravanthis limps along for me as no one was willing to take control
HighHeeled Sneakers With Merl clearly taking the lead, this is pretty solid.
Trey's standard- "Dont Do Anything We Wouldnt Do" leads into the break

WilsonPre-chant and pre-experimentation, good opener
Antelope Red hot 'lope.  Simpson's signal, finger scrape, and another one that seemed to be just for the band and not us
Moundgreat version, though Mike never really takes the bass solo
Sample/Sparkle lots of fire in this combo, keeps everyone up and moving
Hoodwhat a beautiful hood.  Early sections are well played, the cathartic piece is great, and the band hits nice peaks near the end.  Then Page does something on the B-3 which at first I didnt like, but Trey got really excited about, which pushed the band to redo the ending hitting even better to close it out
Gingseng All I really heard was SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH   :roll:
YEM So I listened to this on the way to work this morning, and the sun was just peaking out over the horizon.  Amazing! Really well done.  Remember this was the tour Trey had broke his ankle so he called for an audience member to do the tramp jump, and says "not bad not bad."  You can sort of hear some extra playing on the keys, but it is not really recognizable>
Who By Fire really weird shit going on now, had to listen to it twice
Golgi standard closing number

Freebird was this the first? really funny to hear fish on the solo.  "This is a dream come true"

Great show! I caught the 4-20 show in Va a few days earlier, and while it was great (see the YEM-Somewhere over the rainbow jam with DMB) this show has more heat.

flufhed

Was anyone allowed to review these or did you have to be part of the group from the start?  I did one...sorry if I wasn't supposed to!  Damn noob's!

G. Augusto

Quote from: flufhed on June 19, 2008, 06:55:24 PM
Was anyone allowed to review these or did you have to be part of the group from the start?  I did one...sorry if I wasn't supposed to!  Damn noob's!

Feel free to post it.
There is gonna be a new group forming soon, so keep an eye out if you're interested.
a

Hicks

Oh great now we're just letting any passing riff raff review these shows?  Not cool dude, not cool.   :x
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

flufhed

Quote from: Hicks on June 19, 2008, 07:03:04 PM
Oh great now we're just letting any passing riff raff review these shows?  Not cool dude, not cool.   :x

Well I don't wanna hurt your feelings Hicks!

Hicks

I'm embarrassed at the amount of time I spent searching for that, so it better be frickin' funny!!!!
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

pnchundi

flufhed

Quote from: Hicks on June 19, 2008, 07:16:24 PM

I'm embarrassed at the amount of time I spent searching for that, so it better be frickin' funny!!!!

Shit...is that me or you?   :clap:

By the way, who told you I was passing riff-raff?  Was it a?  He likes to make me cry...

Hicks

Quote from: flufhed on June 19, 2008, 07:19:34 PM
Quote from: Hicks on June 19, 2008, 07:16:24 PM

Shit...is that me or you?   :clap:

By the way, who told you I was passing riff-raff?  Was it a?  He likes to make me cry...

At this point, probably both of us. 

I can smell riff-raff from a mile away my friend.