News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

iPhone Thread

Started by mattstick, July 10, 2008, 04:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justjezmund

shazam - for when you don't know what music is playing.
ringtone designer - name says it all.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

whyweigh5.0

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

phil

Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

mattstick

http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002145.html

Actually, iPhone sends your location to Apple twice a day.

It should be noted that this file can't be accessed by third-party apps on an iPhone, as you need root rights to reach it. However, the file is copied to your PC or Mac during standard iPhone sync operations and is accessible from there.

But why is Apple collecting this information to begin with? We don't know for sure. But we're guessing it's likely related to Apple's global location database.

Like Google, Apple maintains a global database of the locations of Wi-Fi networks. They use this to get an estimate of your location without using GPS. For example, if your handset sees three hotspots which have MAC addresses that Apple knows are within a certain city block in London, it's a fair bet you're in that city block.

We know how Google collected their location database: they recorded them world-wide while they had their Google Maps Street View cars driving around the globe.

Where did Apple get their location database? They used to license it from a company called Skyhook. How did Skyhook obtain this information? Well, they had their own cars drive around the world, just like Google.

However, the Skyhook database is expensive. So beginning with iPhone OS 3.2 released in April 2010, Apple started replacing the Skyhook location database with their own location database.

And the real question is: How did Apple create their own location database? They did not have cars driving around the world. They didn't need to. They had existing iPhone owners around the world do the work for them.

If you run a modern iPhone, it will send your location history to Apple twice a day. This is the default operation of the device.

phil

Why is that necessary? And furthermore, is there a way to disable it? I don't have an iPhone so it's not really of consequence to me but I get a little freaked out by invasion-of-privacy issues such as this.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

mattstick

Quote from: phil on April 21, 2011, 12:07:05 PM
Why is that necessary? And furthermore, is there a way to disable it? I don't have an iPhone so it's not really of consequence to me but I get a little freaked out by invasion-of-privacy issues such as this.

^^

QuoteAnd the real question is: How did Apple create their own location database? They did not have cars driving around the world. They didn't need to. They had existing iPhone owners around the world do the work for them.

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: phil on April 21, 2011, 12:07:05 PM

I have an iPhone and I am more then freaked out by this. I heard on the news this morning that there isn't a way to take it off your phone. However there are supposed to be settings in iTunes that you can change to remove the info from your personal computer so hackers can't get the info or something close to that to protect yourself. haven't had a chance to check it out but I will when I get home tonight.

No matter what pretty creepy and HUGE invasion of privacy.

mattstick

Since you're so outraged by this I'm guessing you don't use a credit card, or make cellphone calls at all as well?

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: mattstick on April 21, 2011, 12:47:10 PM

Since you're so outraged by this I'm guessing you don't use a credit card, or make cellphone calls at all as well?

Did I seem outragged?  :roll:

And to answer your question's....you're right I don't use CCs and I very rarely use my cell phone for phone calls.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: mattstick on April 21, 2011, 12:47:10 PM

Let's face the facts here, don't give Apple a pass because they are Apple.  They should have more clearly identified this.

mattstick

I just kind of assumed that if my phone was on, my location was logged.  I use a GPS in the car, and I assume the same.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: mattstick on April 21, 2011, 01:41:16 PM

I just kind of assumed that if my phone was on, my location was logged.  I use a GPS in the car, and I assume the same.

I'm really playing devil's advocate here.  I just think Apple should have done this a little better and I think they don't get a 100% pass on this one.  They should have allowed this as an opt-in.  The fact that the user agreement/privacy policy states this is really kind of BS.  No one reads them, lets be honest. 

Lots of people collect information "anonymously" however there is ALMOST ALWAYS a way to make it nonymous.  I for one don't really like people collecting information about me.  Same reason I don't use facebook. 

kellerb

Quote from: mattstick on April 21, 2011, 01:41:16 PM

No standard car or mobile GPS units that I know of have any way of transmitting GPS location data.  They have a GPS receiver, but cannot transmit their location.  It might be possible that if you hook them up to a computer and use the company's "update" program, they could collect a log file from the unit, but I seriously doubt that happens.

barnesy305

Skyhook has become self aware. Terminator was right they just got the name wrong. Fuckin Nostradamus and shit!