News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

iPhone Thread

Started by mattstick, July 10, 2008, 04:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: VDB on September 07, 2016, 03:31:09 PM
The fact is everyone has different priorities when it comes to their smartphone usage, and so losing the 3.5 will be important to some and not important to others.
Is there reason to believe that using the adaptor with a wired headphone will have inferior sound compared to the headphone jack?
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

PIE-GUY

Quote from: slslbs on September 07, 2016, 04:02:46 PM
Quote from: VDB on September 07, 2016, 03:31:09 PM
The fact is everyone has different priorities when it comes to their smartphone usage, and so losing the 3.5 will be important to some and not important to others.
Is there reason to believe that using the adaptor with a wired headphone will have inferior sound compared to the headphone jack?

should not have any noticeable effects. I predict more wired and wireless DAC devices coming to market for making traditionally connected headphones sound better.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

It's not as if millions of people haven't already ditched the headphone jack for Bluetooth...

I also don't suppose it matters that Motorola's android phone the MotoZ ditched the headphone jack months ago, does it?

Multibeast12

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 07, 2016, 04:46:49 PM
It's not as if millions of people haven't already ditched the headphone jack for Bluetooth...

I also don't suppose it matters that Motorola's android phone the MotoZ ditched the headphone jack months ago, does it?
Yeah, that phone was kind of just laughed at in the Android community for that.

Also, the 7 looks nice, that Jet Black is a nice color. I would consider getting an iPhone is the price was more affordable for a off contract one. But a interesting thing, is that they are making two variants of the phone. A CMDA one and a GSM one, for carrier reasons, so basically Verizon can call one the Verizon iPhone. Apple did it right with the 6 and 6s when they made one version to work on all carriers. That is the way it should be. So people can shop around and determine what carrier may work for them. Say they sign up at Verizon, don't like it they can keep the same phone and just switch to another carrier with no problem. That's why I would like it to be a little cheaper but also, hard to get cheaper and have that good of a chip and camera.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

tet

The reason for the 2 variants apparently has to do with the GSM models using an Intel modem, while the CDMA ones have Qualcomm (Intel bought some CDMA modem company recently and probably will integrate it by next year, so this is kind of an anomaly year, apparently).  Frankly, CDMA should have been killed with fire 20 years ago, and the fact that it is still kicking shows just how stubborn and stupid Verizon is.  Thankfully, I will be sticking with AT&T, and having GSM is all I care about because I like to pop in local chips when traveling, and CDMA is only a factor in the US and Japan.  THE BUMS LOST!

As for the headphone jack, kind of pisses me off because I like my high-end headphones, but the dongle isn't the end of the world.  Not being able to charge the phone AND listen at the same time is not cool either...  and yes, I know there are more dongles for that, or I can buy the dock.  Whatever. 

My alarm is set for 2:50am - Jet Black, here I come... 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

VDB

Quote from: tet on September 08, 2016, 10:34:37 PM
As for the headphone jack, kind of pisses me off because I like my high-end headphones, but the dongle isn't the end of the world.  Not being able to charge the phone AND listen at the same time is not cool either...  and yes, I know there are more dongles for that, or I can buy the dock.  Whatever. 

You'll buy more dongles and you'll like it.
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

will the adaptor that comes with the phone be adequate or do you need to by a DAC?
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

tet

Quote from: slslbs on September 08, 2016, 11:58:03 PM
will the adaptor that comes with the phone be adequate or do you need to by a DAC?

I'm sure it'll be fine... there will have to be a DAC built into the dongle as the phone's Lightning port has no DAC itself.

So after 10 minutes of reloading the page starting at 3am, I finally ordered and will have my Jet Black by early October...  ugh!!!
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

mattstick

1 black, 1 rose gold delivered 9/16

email time stamp 3:15am.

ph92

Quote from: tet on September 09, 2016, 07:07:07 AM
Quote from: slslbs on September 08, 2016, 11:58:03 PM

I'm sure it'll be fine... there will have to be a DAC built into the dongle as the phone's Lightning port has no DAC itself.

So after 10 minutes of reloading the page starting at 3am, I finally ordered and will have my Jet Black by early October...  ugh!!!
You Don't think it does? Or have they said that. They probably rewired it to just go to the pins on the dock. I used to do a similar mod on ipod videos, it would bypass the internal amp (because it sounds like shit and the DAC on the 5th gen iPods was awesome!)  and go HDD>DAC>Line out dock (custom 30pin>3.5mm cable ) >portable amp>phones. But that lineage was only like that because it wasn't built for that and I modified it. I could only assume that they have a special lineage for the lightning Jack that includes a DAC and headphone amplifier that goes to the dock for those who are using the adapter.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

sls.stormyrider

I'm torn
I like the idea of the 2 lenses on the plus but a little concerned it may be too big. I'm used to working my phone with 1 hand, probably can't do that with the plus. Do I have to do that? I guess not.

VDB

You can get by a little on the plus one-handed, especially with the double-tap of the home button to slide the screen down, but by and large it's a two-handed device. The size can be cumbersome, but the huge screen real estate really will spoil you.
Is this still Wombat?

emay

Anyone get the iOS 10?

Nifty fonts and margins

rowjimmy

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on September 13, 2016, 07:33:31 PM
Anyone get the iOS 10?

Nifty fonts and margins

Been fooling with it on all of my devices.
So far so good, I think.