News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

DRM Removal From iTunes Purchases

Started by PhishJY, July 28, 2008, 12:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhishJY

First off, I know that this is a touchy subject.  However, the U.S. Supreme Court hasn't said it was a violation of law to do it, so until there's a ruling, I assume it's legal.

My wife purchases music from iTunes.  I prefer Amazon, but that's neither here nor there.  Some of the songs are not purchased from iTunes Plus, so they're DRMed *.m4p files.  I want to remove the DRM and convert them to a MP3 file.  I know it's lossy, but it works for my purposes.

There are 2 ways that i'm aware of to accomplish this:
     1) Burn songs to CD, then rip CD
     2) Purchase software that burns to virtual CD and then rips it

Is there any freeware that will accomplish this?  I hate to spend $40 to get something that I can get for free.
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

tet

i don't believe there are any compatible tools left that can do this.  there used to be a project called Hymn, but that is long-defunct.

the burn-to-CD-and-rip method may be your best
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jedifunk

yeah, i had heard the the hymn project was close to a new version for 7.5 but we're on 7.7 now...
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

sls.stormyrider

what about converting to wav and back? does that accomplish the same thing w/o burning a cd?
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

nab

Quote from: slslbs on July 28, 2008, 11:26:56 AM
what about converting to wav and back? does that accomplish the same thing w/o burning a cd?

I think it would.  Both involve an additional lossy step.  It might even be a bit more secure considering the loss of an extraction step.

tet

Quote from: nab on July 28, 2008, 11:58:41 AM

I think it would.  Both involve an additional lossy step.  It might even be a bit more secure considering the loss of an extraction step.

except iTunes won't let you convert .m4p files into anything directly except a CD.  considering that no other application can handle the DRM wrappings of a purchased iTunes track, you don't have any choice other than to look for another hack like hymn or burn to CD and rip to lossy.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

nab

Quote from: tet on July 28, 2008, 01:16:24 PM
Quote from: nab on July 28, 2008, 11:58:41 AM

except iTunes won't let you convert .m4p files into anything directly except a CD.  considering that no other application can handle the DRM wrappings of a purchased iTunes track, you don't have any choice other than to look for another hack like hymn or burn to CD and rip to lossy.

Makes sense.

jephrey

Only if you must because a song that's at 128k, then burned is turned to a wav, then re-encoded to 128k makes at best a 64k recording.  If you can handle that, then ok, but your file is going to have very poor sound quality.  And you'll definitely be able to tell, in headphones, while mowing the lawn, in a tornado, next to an airport.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

blatboom

PhishJY

Thanks for the info!  +K all around.
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

rowjimmy

Of course you know that stripping the DRM is a violation of the DMCA

QuoteThe Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is a United States copyright law which implements two 1996 WIPO treaties. It criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services that are used to circumvent measures that control access to copyrighted works (commonly known as DRM) and criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself.