News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R4/W09: 06-28-2000 PNC Bank Arts Centre, Holmdel, NJ

Started by VA $l!m, August 24, 2008, 08:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khalpin

Went to this show. If I've heard it since then, it's been years, so this'll be fun.

Star Spangled Banner: I don't remember this at all. How wasted was I?

Chalkdust: As an opener? Major bust-out here. Actually got pretty cool from 5:00 to 7:00. Solid version.

Sloth: Somewhat of a rarity. Good to keep the pace going. Well-played.

Taste: I like this here (or anywhere, actually) This one gets pretty smoking as it progresses.

Gin: Ah yes...Mike just totally kicks it up a notch as soon as the jam section starts. Great jam. Then another theme starts at 9:00. Fishman just rockin' that syncopated cymbal. This is just great stuff that doesn't let up. Every riff is just as good, if not better than what proceeded it. Can't really hear Page too well, but that's fine. The other three sound fantastic. Eventually goes back into the Gin theme and closes out. Then a little Hood tease by Fishman?

Piper: I can give or take this one. It's just a little too simplistic for me. Six chords played over and over for 10 minutes. This one gets really fast early into the jam. It eventually gets so fast it's almost ridiculous.

If I Could: First time in 119 shows, although I certainly didn't miss it. There's no doubt I headed to the bathroom for this one. Shame too as this was a really good version. Not a very ideal set closer, though.

All in all, that was a great first set, with Gin being the obvious highlight. Certainly had a ton of energy probably due to being hometown shows for Page and Trey.

DwD: Good way to open the set. Goes off into kind of a spacy jam then makes a triumphant return to the DwD theme. Solid version.

Hood: Can never complain about one of these. This, I do remember about the show where Trey was trying to catch glowsticks and finally did and threw it back into the crowd. Pretty standard Hood otherwise. I feel good.

Jibboo: TAB ensues.  Not too much for anyone to do execpt Trey.  He goes into the chording thing, instead of noodling and actually, it works pretty well.

When the Circus: Bathroom break

Mike's Song: Nice.  Cool jam/funk section.  The start/stop is cool, too.  Great version.

Albuquerque: Horrible placement.  Talk about a buzzkill.

Weekapaug: Pretty standard quality week4paug, which is a good thing.  Way to finish off.

First Tube:  Quality encore.  This one's pretty hot.  A couple peaks in there and you can hear the crowd loving it.

Loving Cup: A nice bonus.  Pretty high energy version.

So, yes, this show was fantastic.  I think I enjoyed it more today than I did while I was there.  Lots of great versions, with an awesome Gin anchoring the show.  A+ show.  Nice pick, Slim.

ytowndan

Very nice pick.  So many memories from summer '00.

Chalkdust - Cool way to kick it off.  I really dug the segment around the 6 min mark. The effects worked nicely.   

Sloth - Waaaayyy down in tha gheeetoooo!  I always loved seeing this one.  Some flubs from Trey in this version, but it kept the energy going.

Taste - Nice version.  Had me dancing in my chair! 

Gin - Very sweet version.  I also caught the "fat guy in a little coat" riffs from Trey around the 7:30 - 8:00 mark.  There's some great energy from 13:00 to  15:30, then sorta mellows a bit without loosing pace, and goes back into the "gin theme" very nicely at the end. An awesome version all in all, that I don't listen to often enough. 

Piper - I like the placement.  Just what was needed after that Gin.  Very nice energy in the last segment. 

If I Could - Ya gotta love a bust out!  Very nice playing. 

Disease - Nice way to open up set 2.  Starts off very fast and energetic.  It gets kinda spacey around the 8 - 9 min. mark. They abort that pretty quickly though.  Good version.  Nice placement though, ya gotta love a DWD opener. 

Hood - Trey does some REALLY cool stuff in the intro.  The jam was very mellow, and smooth the whole way through. 

Jibboo - Very nice version.  Maybe it's just my mood tonight, but Jibboo's usually can't hold my attention.  Sometimes I think they're just too repetiive.  This one seemed to have a decent pace that followed through the entire jam. 

Circus - Nicely played.  A re-set for the mood of what's to come.

Mikes- Starts off with a nice groove.  Trey gets real funky with his riffs, and Mike is solid.  Around the 7:30 mark Trey goes into some cool whammy effects, then Fish and Mike really take it to an extreme level of pimp at 8:15.  It almost feels like a strange mix of funk/electronic.  Anyone else get that vibe? I loved the stop/start. Amazing version.   

Albuquerque - Great tune, very odd placement...maybe even bad placement, but great tune.

Weekapaug - Kind of faded in out of nowhere.  Very high energy as usual.  Nice way to wrap up the set. 

First Tube - A nice encore pic.  Played pretty nicely with a very energetic jam. 

Loving Cup - It's always nice to hear a second song starting up during an encore.  Especially this one.  Perfect ending.

Great pick man!  Solid A. 

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

VA $l!m

i'm thinkin albuquerque is an either hate it or love it song.
personally love it.
...same with -if i could.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

ned_ryerson

Part II

Disease: Pretty good, quick moving and in your face.

Hood: After the Spain show this was somewhat of a catharsis. Getting to hear the hood in its entirety was great. It probably made me like this version despite the fact that it got really slow, but it was in line with many hoods in that it was a beautiful jam especially with about 2 minutes to go and into the ending.

Jiboo: my standard issues with this song persist through this version, and i have to apply a discussion punch and i had to this song. This song is not a medium for phish to jam out, it is a medium for trey to wank off with his guitar. It makes mike look like a bass player off the street and i will never forgive this song for that. but trey does get to play some good solos, he got a really groovy riff going about 5 minutes in that was nice, and it actually was able to carry for the rest of the song, a decent jiboo for once, but i still wouldn't talk to it at a party.

Circus: this song reminds me how much i hate my x-wife...

Mikes: well, apparently the band was being frisky today, another good jammer. let see how it goes. Can't complain with 4 minutes to go when it starts to sound like a machine that is going out of control. a nice groove to it. It doesn't have the dynamics of an Early Phish show but it is groove heavy which is nice. At the time though i think i hated when they would play stuff like this. I could have gone on with that groove for a good amount of time. i am learning i ahve a different perspective on later phish (actually why i wanted to do this club). it was really enjoyable.

Albuquerque: definitely prefer circus to this i just can not stand this one. Trey does not have the voice for this tune.

Weekapaugh: man for a second there i think trey was toying with going into antelope, that would have been great. wasn't sure what they were going to do until i hear mike start to go. mediocre paugh, usually like this tune to be blistering but it seemed about half speed. but its still fun. ahhh they do get going about half way through which is pretty awesome. over all a good strong finish to the set.

E:

Tube: I enjoy the driving bass but this one just does not do it for me.
Loving Cup: i think this is one of the better covers that they picked up in later years. i enjoyed it alot.

Over all this show caught me by surprise. i remember not liking it, however this time through i really enjoyed it. thanks for the pick. see y'all next round :)  :banana:

wait..what?

pnchundi

i was pleasantly surprised too ned.  actually some good/great songs in this show (we were shit talking in person about it)

And you can always post an unofficial show...

Gumbo72203

Quote from: ned_ryerson on September 01, 2008, 04:25:59 PM

Loving Cup: i think this is one of the better covers that they picked up in later years. i enjoyed it alot.

If by later years, you mean opening the year 1993 with it  :wink:
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

ned_ryerson

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 02, 2008, 12:12:54 AM
Quote from: ned_ryerson on September 01, 2008, 04:25:59 PM

If by later years, you mean opening the year 1993 with it  :wink:

Touche! <opens up phish companion...slaps forehead> well i only really had experienced it on my tapes like, post 98 so i associated it with that era. how wrong i was. probably because most of my tapes were 92 and before lol.
wait..what?

VA $l!m

nobody loves me. :cry:

i guess goin last means you only get half the reviews.

GBL

Quote from: VA slim on September 07, 2008, 08:25:18 PM

be patient brah.. ima chuggin along nicely  :wink:

oh and where's your review?
If this is love, I'm never going home..

VA $l!m

Quote from: GBL on September 07, 2008, 08:48:40 PM

be patient brah.. ima chuggin along nicely  :wink:

oh and where's your review?

in the first post.
read between the lines.
and dont forget to use your decoder ring.

Hicks

I suppose I could grace yer pick with a review.   :wink:

Although submitting reviews for 2/3s of a round apparently doesn't count for shit.   :-P
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

blatboom

it's coming Slim.  I fuckin love this show.  It never lets up and every jam is worth hearing.  I've only been listening as I've been driving around though, so I wanna hear it w/my Senns before I write it up.

GBL

SET I

SSB - meh.. ok

Chalkdust - nice way to start off a show.. gets everyone rockin RIGHT away! def gets a little interesting around the
~6 min mark, some cool effects

Sloth - only heard this one 1 time, and would have been a nice kickdown because its so rare nowadays (well then nowadays :P)
didn't really hear any major flubs which is nice :]

Taste - nice little cool down after the 1st 2 rockers..

Bathtub Gin - and we have lift off! i love when it really starts to get faster ~9 min in ~ ~ ~ and more hose around
12:00 ~ ~ ~ umm yea, top shelf.. was great to hear it in sbd i must say :]

Piper - doesn't stray too far but keeps moving along nicely, high energy.. gets spacey and very slow at the end

If I Could - kickdown for sure.. who doesn't like this song? NICE way to end a set actually

overall i think this set kaned my face HARD! weird start but once chalkdust started it was straight rage.. gin was obv
a MAJOR highlight.. of the entire tour.. and overall the set has a great flow, even if it is a bit short ;\

A

SET II

Disease - LOVE set opening disease's :] so sweeet when this song lifts off, its like your flying ~ ~ ~ starts to change
to a slower groove around the 8 min mark and this is when i think it starts to get GOOD! they draw out the ending into -->

HOOD! - wasn't expecting this here.. sweeeeet! mike is holding it down.. jam stays pretty mellow throughout until about
2 min to go when they kick it in high gear.. GREAT 1 2 punch to start out the set..

Jiboo - i think i heard this song like 10 times out of 14 shows i saw this year ;P i think it would be quite difficult
to play mikes bass line over and over again like that.. keeps you moving, def does its thing..

Circus - hit the can and back a bowl real quick.. get back just in time for..

Mike's - mike's and hood are kinda flipped around here in the set and i like it, very different.. MIKE is kaning this!
very evil to start, feeling this hard :] gets into an even harder groove around 6:00 ~ ~ ~ that groove that they hold until
they start/stop is soooooo sick :P keeps peeling my face away.. quick stop into -->

Albuquerque - could be seen as a buzzkill.. buts its a cool song imo, they sound alot like pink floyd during this song

Weekapaug - wasn't exactly sure what trey was doing at the beginning there but still it starts out nice.. mike takes over
and here we go ~ ~ ~ nothing epic here, does its job

1st Tube - the flub after the loops section is pretty painful but everyone moves past it.. love the 'reverse' effect
trey uses in the jam..

Loving Cup - not a fan of this song so much, meh rock song for me

I was pretty pumped up after the 1st set but the second set just bleeeewww me away.. this show cant be a sleeper when its
THIS good! i liked how hood and mike's were kinda switched up in the set.. Disease opener was great and then the
early Hood was a nice treat.. Mike's was off the chain! I think what makes this show truly great is that Gin and Mike's
were really THAT good, some of the best of all year and they were in the same show

A

GBL

this was a great show.. tbh it was my favorite from this round, great from start to finish

nice pick slim  :clap:

:phish:

EDIT: better late then never eh?  :-D

VA $l!m

awesome, glad you enjoyed this one.

and i want to say oen mroetime thanks to everyone from this round.
i had a bit of a rough month and had to work at keeping up, but overall had a bunch of fun and got into some stuff i wouldnt prob have pulled out otherwise.

and whatdoyouknow, i've been on a phish kick for the first tiem in years since i got into this round.

thanks for bringing the joy back!

hallelujah hollaback!  :mrgreen: