News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Google Chrome Thread

Started by whyweigh5.0, September 01, 2008, 09:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whyweigh5.0

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

tet

interesting. 

more competition is always good for the market, and it's nice to see all this Webkit activity these days.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

whyweigh5.0

I'm surprised I didn't hear anything about this till tonight
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

mattstick

http://feeds.tuaw.com/~r/weblogsinc/tuaw/~3/380807055/

Google is developing a new web browser built from the ground up and based on WebKit, the same rendering engine that Safari uses.

The browser, called Chrome, is open-source software built with security, compatibility and speed in mind. Each tab in the browser will be its own separate running process. For example, if JavaScript hangs in one tab, the other tabs will remain unaffected. The approach is similar to the way Mac OS X isolates applications in their own private areas to prevent one crash from taking down the whole system.

Google picked an interesting way of announcing the project: They commissioned illustrator Scott McCloud to draw a 38-page comic book about the project, and distribute it under a Creative Commons license. The result is a very readable, fascinating way to learn about the new browser.

For web developers, Chrome will include strong Gears integration, and a JavaScript virtual machine that generates super-fast machine code out of JavaScript instructions. For end users, it will include a new start page that lists the last several pages and search terms you've used. It also includes a private browsing mode.

Google is planning on formally launching the project on Wednesday, but the Chrome website isn't visible to the public yet. Update: Google is releasing a version for Windows tomorrow, with Mac and Linux versions coming soon, once Chrome is "faster and more robust."

rowjimmy

Looks interesting. I'll def. try it.

Declan

very cool... i wonder how it will turn out to be, but i know google is very good.
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

bluecaravan521

sweet..i wonder when the mac version will come out
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

ytowndan

Cool.  I'm down for giving it a try. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

rowjimmy

Anyone get this yet?
Apparently, it's available for some locals but not all... I can't get to it yet.

rowjimmy

rowjimmy

Posting from it now.
Spellcheck works.

Rendering is quick.

Lets test some features...

ytowndan

I'm posting from it as well.  I'm digging it.  It is nice and quick.

rowjimmy

Check the task Manager & the 'stats for nerds'

ytowndan

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 02, 2008, 03:31:34 PM
Check the task Manager & the 'stats for nerds'

Pretty cool.  It would be much cooler if I actually knew what most of that stuff means.   :-D

sls.stormyrider

seems like on the surface it feels like FF 3 - just quicker
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."