News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RIP David Foster Wallace

Started by cactusfan, September 15, 2008, 10:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

damn! i totally missed this over the weekend. David Foster Wallace hanged himself. how depressing is that?

he was a great writer. his massive book Infinite Jest is a lot of work to get through, and though it's not a great book, it's full of greatness, if that makes any sense. it's like nothing else, that's for sure.

his non-fiction is even better, i think. his books of essays A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again and Consider The Lobster are smart and hilarious and i highly recommend them.

my favorite book of his is Everything And More, a history of the concept of infinity in mathematics. it's heady but short, and just great in every way. a very thought provoking science book that had me laughing out loud. a very uncommon quality in science books, i've found.

what a bummer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/15/books/15wallace.html?scp=4&sq=david%20foster%20wallace&st=cse

Hicks

ugh, finding out about this and Rick Wright in one day is just too much, fucking sucks.

Infinite Jest is probably the most brilliant book I've ever read. 

Shit.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

whyweigh5.0

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

fauxpaxfauxreal

This happened on my birthday, btw.  I was totally saddened and surprised by his death.  This is the only time a celebrity death ever "effected" me.

I read "Infinite Jest" when I was a senior in high school.  It had just been released.

I totally would suggest that if you haven't read it and you enjoy fine literature, you invest the time, money and effort that it takes.

RIP DFW.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: whyweigh4.0 on December 20, 2009, 05:07:26 PM
yes  :-D

I didn't realize you went as invisible.

Good find whyweigh.

I'm actually surprised you would put 8 billion and 8 billion together.

:)

whyweigh5.0

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: whyweigh4.0 on December 20, 2009, 05:26:30 PM
I shouldn't be invisible

You aren't now, I found this thread because I was peeping toming it and it said "Guest Viewing The Thread"  So I came in here to post about it, so someone could say that I have a double standard, because I mourned for David Foster Wallace and he committed suicide.

Before I posted, I noticed that I hadn't posted in the original thread.  You posted before I did, and then I was like omfg, WhyWeigh <3's me so hard.  I don't know how you connected all the dots, but I truly think it's awesome.  I'm surprised noone posted in here "whatever, he deserved to die!"

whyweigh5.0

well I posted in here because I saw your whos online thread and followed you in here... so

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: whyweigh4.0 on December 20, 2009, 05:32:05 PM
well I posted in here because I saw your whos online thread and followed you in here... so

Syncronicity!

Someone was totally in here as a guest.  I don't know if it was someone who was invisible who is intelligent enough to know that I mourned DFW's death alot and he died on 9/12 which is my birthday, or what.  Because I totally thought someone was snooping on me and then I caught them snooping.

Heh.

Regardless, DFW is the kinda guy who would think that us posting like this in his death thread is an awesome tribute.  He's got that kinda sense of humor.  If you haven't read it yet, I suggest picking up "Infinite Jest"  you'll either thank me, hate me or both when you do.

PIE-GUY

"guest" always freaks me out... who's reading our thoughts?
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

redrum

Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

fauxpaxfauxreal

I heard she has a crush on me.

8-)

kellerb

Quote from: PIE-GUY on December 20, 2009, 05:36:53 PM
"guest" always freaks me out... who's reading our thoughts?
I have to assume its IHUNTDUCKS

flow00

This is the most confusing thread ever. Only a few posts for the death of a great writer (more than a year after the fact) but many more for an actress? Pop culture has overtaken us.  :|

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: flow00 on December 20, 2009, 07:37:46 PM
This is the most confusing thread ever. Only a few posts for the death of a great writer (more than a year after the fact) but many more for an actress? Pop culture has overtaken us.  :|

The funny thing is, this is an issue DFW clearly hits on in much of his work.  He's like a post-post-modernist.