News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/19 - Deer Creek - Noblesville, IN - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by blatboom, June 20, 2009, 12:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

Quote from: flow00 on June 28, 2009, 07:12:32 PM
Quote from: susep73 on June 27, 2009, 10:47:09 PM
Quote from: VA slim on June 27, 2009, 10:45:24 PM
Quote from: VA slim on June 23, 2009, 04:33:04 PM
Quote from: flow00 on June 23, 2009, 04:28:23 PM
Play It Leo: K+ for the great review. I'm not sure why this thread only has four pages, but this is my favorite show of the tour. Camden is overrated.  :-o

More on the details later ...

yeah, i'm only 3 songs in, and its already my fav... i knew right away when i saw teh setlist. though to be fair i havent heard alpine yet either. i agree about camden. its gonna end up being about 4th/5th best of the tour on my list i think.
well, i havent had sh-- time to listen to shows this week, but i'm finally trying to finish up this one as i type... and i'm currently convincing myself that this is BY FAR , and i mean by leaps and bounds far, my favorite of the the tour. alpine will be the only ones that has a chance to beat it, and i'll get to listen to after  i finish up this one. the SIHTOS>drowned>twist, etc. KILLED it! the first jams of '09 that really got me off 100% adn gave me that classic feeling of "what song was i listening to?"

lOt SeC'rty seal of Approval.
:mrgreen:

my exact impression, after Twist I was like wtf? in a good way.

And the Tweezer>2001 was not so shabby, I must say. And I love you guys for noticing that Deer Creek is THE show of the tour.  8-)

so far its holding its own, I'm listening to the JB run for the first time and maybe 2 other shows but yeah this second set beats out 21June and easily Camden.  First night 'roo deserves a second listen also.  I really enjoyed the 2June Hood, very psychadelic and fun.  

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on June 28, 2009, 07:14:39 PM
Jeeze.

Deer Creek was a ton of fun...

BBBBBBUUUUUUUUTTTTTTT.... It was far from the best of the tour.  I'm not being disparraging or a nannerpuss, I'm just trying to be fair to the other bajillion hot ass shows this tour.

your nirvana is another man's Possum.

Quote from: VA slim on June 28, 2009, 07:19:49 PM
when listening to it it just sounded like any other-IE old school-- phish show. whereas every other 3.0 show i've heard i havent been completely satisfied that they could play like they used to.

agreed.

Quote from: flow00 on June 28, 2009, 07:26:14 PM
VA Slim and Susep back me up - Some of the best 3.0 is in the second set of Deer Creek.

agreed, great flow. :mrgreen:

Quote from: VA slim on June 28, 2009, 07:34:55 PM
and yes, i do think the tweez is Very weak, sorry.

very weak, the Camden version that is.

phishtube

-pay attention, focus, and stay in the moment-

phg

^whoa, so it looks like Sloth and Vultures were at least being considered!  sweet

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: susep73 on July 04, 2009, 09:18:08 PM
Quote from: flow00 on June 28, 2009, 07:12:32 PM
Quote from: susep73 on June 27, 2009, 10:47:09 PM
Quote from: VA slim on June 27, 2009, 10:45:24 PM
Quote from: VA slim on June 23, 2009, 04:33:04 PM
Quote from: flow00 on June 23, 2009, 04:28:23 PM
Play It Leo: K+ for the great review. I'm not sure why this thread only has four pages, but this is my favorite show of the tour. Camden is overrated.  :-o

More on the details later ...

yeah, i'm only 3 songs in, and its already my fav... i knew right away when i saw teh setlist. though to be fair i havent heard alpine yet either. i agree about camden. its gonna end up being about 4th/5th best of the tour on my list i think.
well, i havent had sh-- time to listen to shows this week, but i'm finally trying to finish up this one as i type... and i'm currently convincing myself that this is BY FAR , and i mean by leaps and bounds far, my favorite of the the tour. alpine will be the only ones that has a chance to beat it, and i'll get to listen to after  i finish up this one. the SIHTOS>drowned>twist, etc. KILLED it! the first jams of '09 that really got me off 100% adn gave me that classic feeling of "what song was i listening to?"

lOt SeC'rty seal of Approval.
:mrgreen:

my exact impression, after Twist I was like wtf? in a good way.

And the Tweezer>2001 was not so shabby, I must say. And I love you guys for noticing that Deer Creek is THE show of the tour.  8-)

so far its holding its own, I'm listening to the JB run for the first time and maybe 2 other shows but yeah this second set beats out 21June and easily Camden.  First night 'roo deserves a second listen also.  I really enjoyed the 2June Hood, very psychadelic and fun. 

Quote from: VA slim on June 28, 2009, 07:19:49 PM
when listening to it it just sounded like any other-IE old school-- phish show. whereas every other 3.0 show i've heard i havent been completely satisfied that they could play like they used to.

agreed.

Quote from: flow00 on June 28, 2009, 07:26:14 PM
VA Slim and Susep back me up - Some of the best 3.0 is in the second set of Deer Creek.

agreed, great flow. :mrgreen:

on my second listen of this - agree with above comments. so far, fav of the tour.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

notkuroda

I wrote this today, not much of a review cuz it's mostly personal experience, but it's for posterity

After a long late night drive from burgettstown(where we couldn't find a place to sleep for hours), I got to Close By Campground in the afternoon. Plan was to drop off my friends, check in, and meet up with Jason and Heather, my friends from Iowa who I hadn't seen in a couple years. I got in without a printed confirmation, five minutes later I heard the owner of the camp tell his staff that no one else got in, reservation or not. When I camped, I found out I was 20 yards away from Jason and Heather, who had arrived five hours earlier. We had a few beers and caught up, then went to catch the shuttle to the venue. The shuttle had a really long line, and it didn't appear we would be leaving anytime soon, so we decided to make the mile hike. On the hike I saw another old friend, stopped at a light. I ran into his van, and rode with him into the lot. On the way he was lamenting that another friend of ours was working late and worried that he would miss the show. When we pulled into the lot, that guy pulled up right behind us. Didn't spend much time in the lot, headed to the show around 6:30.
I got stubbed down by two friends who had seats in the handicapped section of the pav. We were right behind the first seating section, page side, with more dancing room than ever(since there were only two disabled people using the huge section). This being my last night of tour, I had prepartied pretty hard, and felt fantastic. First set was high energy, tight Phish. As the storm started to roll in, we got down to fun versions of BDTNL, Oscelot, SOAM(some people hate these SOAM's, I loved them), and of course, Fluffhead(a first since AV 96 for me, HUGE treat). Watching the lightning roll in during Fluff, my friend Linda says to me "Walnut Creek 97 all over again". One could only hope :banana:
At setbreak, I badly needed a puff, security shut down that effort during the first set. So I wandered up to the lawn to find someone friendly. I ended up sitting at the very top, with two guys who were hanging out by the wall. We smoked and watched the unbelievable lightning display. This was not the occasional bolt, this was lightning that covered the whole sky, Raiders of the Lost Ark style. Page came out and made the announcement, that everyone should go back to their cars. Immediately, this guy yells out "YEAH!!! LETS GET FUCKING WASTED!!!". I just laughed my ass off. I mean how many times in Phishtory have people been allowed to, much less encouraged to, go back to their cars to party during a long setbreak? I started feeling a drop or two, then headed back to the pav. Halfway there, I reached for my phone and it was gone. I went back up to look for it, figuring it had just fallen out of my pocket on the lawn. It was dark, couldn't see anything so I asked people to borrow a phone so I could call mine. A really nice person obliged, I walked around till I saw someone pick up my ringing phone. I thanked them and this couple says to me "that kind of thing only happens at shows". So as the rain was not really coming down, I started talking to them. Turned out they lived in my little suburban hellhole till about a year ago. Ended up exchanging emails, will be seeing them again at the gorge.
I ended up walking right into the pav without any ticket check, at some point the rain got hard enough that they just let people in. Met up with Jason and Heather again, who were farther back, but I needed to be in the crowd. As fun as it was to get down with unlimited room, I needed to be part of the show and feel that energy. The band started promptly at 11, with ASIHTOS. This is probably my favorite new phish song since the SOTG album, I really liked the studio version, and enjoyed my second one since Knoxville. The jam got dark, and Fishman started picking up this primal, deep rhythm. The band used the opportunity to engage in some beautiful interplay, which Kuroda jumped on with a stunning display. This 2-3 minutes seemed completely rehearsed, like a new song. Possibly my favorite 2-3 minutes of tour, until DROWNED, another one that I hadn't heard in a long time. The energy at this point was completely insane, the entire venue was going nuts. Page completely killed any thought that I had that maybe the band was getting too old to pull off high energy Phish shows like they used to. Twist, never one of my favorites, slayed me.  This jam was dialed in from the beginning, highlighted by great playing by Trey and Mike. I knew we were due for a break, which we got with "Let Me Lie". This had me in hysterics. Backstory:on NYE a couple of years ago, my friend Matt and I were lamenting Trey's downward spiral. One of the things he pointed to was the latest album, and the gayest song ever, Let Me Lie. He said he was going to try out for American Idol with that song, complete with bike and no shirt. He did an impromptu performance which made us laugh for an hour. So for a filler/bathroom break/rest tune, Let Me Lie was absolutely perfect. Then of course we got tweezer, which was thick and gooey layered space funk, best version I had heard on the tour. 2001 was short and sweet,and had some of the the best lights I had ever seen during this song, . Suzy is always a high energy throwdown to close a set, I rarely complain about how many I hear and this was no exception. It started to hit me that this was my last set. I took no pictures during the set(had taken hundreds leading up to it), just danced my fucking ass off. Sleeping Monkey encore was totally appropriate, singing hhhhhooooooooooommmmmmmmmmeeeeeee on the train. THen finally my last song to totally rock out, Tweeprise. Jason said it was the best phish show he'd ever seen. Me, well there have been five phish shows in my life where everything just worked out, in better than perfect ways that I'd never expect. Where the band played what seemed like a show made for me, and had me scooping my jaw off the floor afterwards. Where the day itself, the events surrounding the show, was a perfect synchronicity. Where there was an absolute sense of beauty and wonder surrounding the show, from mother nature or from other influences. This was number 6, the last one being Vegas 96.
The journey back to the camp and the ensuing madness was wonderful as well, but if you've read this far you're probably getting bored already. But I'll just say that my two week Phish run, which I had waited years for, attended seven shows and drove 4500 miles through was absolute magic. When the sun came out the next morning, I was a little sad that I wasn't joining the caravan to alpine. But I missed my family, and felt like I had gotten more than I could have asked for.

rowjimmy

I put on this second set this morning on the train...

ASIHTOS is really great.
Then I fell asleep.

kellerb

Quote from: kellerb on June 20, 2009, 02:53:32 PM
Quote from: kellerbMet up with a&cb, disco, mirth, blaise, :wtu: and a couple people I'm blanking on @ setbreak.  I believe I called the set II tweezer.  Definitely saw that Drowned coming after the delay was announced.  Crazy lightning pretty much the entire show, and wind.  Medium rain after the delay-announcement, my buddies & I crowded behind the pavilion and stayed reasonably dry, did not return to our vehicles.  Rain let up, wind backed down, set 2 stayed dry until suzy/possum'ish time, then it started coming down good, and conveniently let up as soon as we were back in our vehicle, completely drenched.  Ziplock bag FTW.  Everyone staying in the pavilion until the rain stopped made parking lot exit relatively easy / out in 30 minutes.  Hope everyone camping had good tents and/or shelter.

1st set was well-played, nice fluff, good choice of new tunes.  I falsely called setbreak about three songs in a row.  2nd set was out THERE quite a bit.  Much slack-jawed Trey staring at the lawn, much type II in the asihtos -> drowned -> twist, and tweezer. Let me lie started out a bit too low-energy, but the nice ballad-jam at the end (and then tweezer) made up for it.  Suzy jammed somewhat atypically, in my opinion, and possum jam either had a tease I didn't recognize, or almost segued into another song.  I like sleeping monkey, and tweeprise rocked, with trey hopping up & down for most of the song.

Bump for the 1-year anniversary of 1.  crazy lightning delay, 2.  1st time I met any of you in real life, and 3.  the epic birth of  :wtu:

Also, my review seems a bit on the fluffing/phishthoughts side in retrospect

mbw

Quote from: kellerb on June 19, 2010, 05:18:49 PM

eh, it was a great show, and good times.
nice bump.  good times.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on June 19, 2010, 05:32:35 PM
Quote from: kellerb on June 19, 2010, 05:18:49 PM

eh, it was a great show, and good times.
nice bump.  good times.

:beers:
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

Lifeboy

I had a blast at this show!! Probably the most fun I've had at a show yet...
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke: