News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Quitting is Contagious

Started by gah, April 20, 2009, 10:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastfingers12

Quote from: Lifeboy on October 23, 2011, 07:36:01 PM
I feel ya, dude. I honestly probably need some kind of program/rehab to quit dipping and drinking coffee
Same here man. I want to quit dipping so bad. Every time I have tried I'll make it almost a week, but then  :frustrated:
That's a hundred nineteen to you and me

rowjimmy

Made it five days without coffee... Now if only I can survive the weekend.

nab

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 28, 2011, 11:31:06 PM

Good job.  Keep it up. 

I'm a real light coffee drinker, but I'm on a quest to stop drinking so much pop (or soda, if you prefer). 

So far I've come down from 4-5 a day to 1-2 the last couple of weeks by subbing in green tea in place of pop.

Good luck

ytowndan

RJ, congrats and good luck.  I used to be a big coffee drinker.  Every morning started off with a large red-eye, plus an extra shot of espresso (I guess some areas call that a "black-eye"?).  And that was just how I kicked off the day.  Anyhow, I decided to go a week without coffee after a friend bet me I couldn't go a single day.  Towards the end of the week, I wasn't even thinking about it and had no desire for it at all.  It's been close to two years now.  But, in all honesty, it was only the first 3-5 days that was hard.  After that, it was easy (for me at least).  I hope it's the same for you.

Nab, I did the same thing with soda about a year and a half ago.  I drank a lot of it, and I found myself curious if I could quit.  It was actually tougher than quitting coffee.  I think the sugar and sodium is more addictive than the caffeine (at least for me).  I made it six months before I cheated (I was at a burger place, and I really wanted a Coke with my burger  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard).  I still cheat a couple times a month, but for the most part I "quit" that, too.  Even though it was harder, it was totally worth it.  I lost almost 15 lbs in the first two months without any other lifestyle change.  Congrats on your progress.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

nab

Quote from: ytowndan on October 29, 2011, 01:34:58 AM
RJ, congrats and good luck.  I used to be a big coffee drinker.  Every morning started off with a large red-eye, plus an extra shot of espresso (I guess some areas call that a "black-eye"?).  And that was just how I kicked off the day.  Anyhow, I decided to go a week without coffee after a friend bet me I couldn't go a single day.  Towards the end of the week, I wasn't even thinking about it and had no desire for it at all.  It's been close to two years now.  But, in all honesty, it was only the first 3-5 days that was hard.  After that, it was easy (for me at least).  I hope it's the same for you.

Nab, I did the same thing with soda about a year and a half ago.  I drank a lot of it, and I found myself curious if I could quit.  It was actually tougher than quitting coffee.  I think the sugar and sodium is more addictive than the caffeine (at least for me).  I made it six months before I cheated (I was at a burger place, and I really wanted a Coke with my burger  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard).  I still cheat a couple times a month, but for the most part I "quit" that, too.  Even though it was harder, it was totally worth it.  I lost almost 15 lbs in the first two months without any other lifestyle change.  Congrats on your progress.

The sugar and the sodium isn't really a problem for me.  I quit drinking non-diet pops a couple of years ago, and no diet pop has any significant sugar or sodium content.

It's more about being more conscious about the non-alcoholic beverages I'm drinking.  I've never been a real caffeine addict, too much makes me jittery and uncomfortable. 

I've decided to drink two kinds of beverages:  those that hydrate, and those that have alcohol.

Not a professional yet, but things are working along just fine.     

My next best guess is getting to bed on time  :crazy:

gah

Quote from: nab on October 29, 2011, 02:40:17 AM
Quote from: ytowndan on October 29, 2011, 01:34:58 AM

The sugar and the sodium isn't really a problem for me.  I quit drinking non-diet pops a couple of years ago, and no diet pop has any significant sugar or sodium content.

It's more about being more conscious about the non-alcoholic beverages I'm drinking.  I've never been a real caffeine addict, too much makes me jittery and uncomfortable. 

I've decided to drink two kinds of beverages:  those that hydrate, and those that have alcohol.

Not a professional yet, but things are working along just fine.     

My next best guess is getting to bed on time  :crazy:

I'd like to subscribe to this theory.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

sls.stormyrider

My name is slslbs and I'm a caffeine addict.
I drink between 2 - 4 cups per day
I tried to quit about 10 yrs ago, felt like shit, and figured - I don't smoke, I drink moderately, my only mind altering substances are caffiene and alcohol, and I don't get enough sleep.
I guess if I could easily quit I would. It is kinda annoying that when on vacation, or now, during a power outage, I need to make sure I get my coffee first thing in the AM. Other than that, it doesn't interfere with my life too much, so - I guess i'll go on

good luck to the potential quitters
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

kellerb

Quote from: slslbs on October 31, 2011, 05:54:10 PM
I tried to quit about 10 yrs ago, felt like shit, and figured - I don't smoke, I drink moderately, my only mind altering substances are caffiene and alcohol, and I don't get enough sleep.
I guess if I could easily quit I would. It is kinda annoying that when on vacation, or now, during a power outage, I need to make sure I get my coffee first thing in the AM. Other than that, it doesn't interfere with my life too much, so - I guess i'll go on

I drink 2-3 cups a day, and I used to be a 4 cups-1 pot a-day guy.  Once I cut back, and specifically started avoiding all caffeine after 12 noon, my sleep cycle improved tremendously. 

Also, I can pretty much plan my poops.

gah

Quote from: kellerb on October 31, 2011, 06:48:28 PM
Quote from: slslbs on October 31, 2011, 05:54:10 PM

I drink 2-3 cups a day, and I used to be a 4 cups-1 pot a-day guy.  Once I cut back, and specifically started avoiding all caffeine after 12 noon, my sleep cycle improved tremendously. 

Also, I can pretty much plan my poops.

Always a good thing!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

fastfingers12

Got to work this morning and realized that my snuff was left behind during my early morning scuffle. No nicotine, day 1

Undermind

Quote from: nab on October 28, 2011, 11:56:54 PM

Good job.  Keep it up. 

I'm a real light coffee drinker, but I'm on a quest to stop drinking so much pop (or soda, if you prefer). 

So far I've come down from 4-5 a day to 1-2 the last couple of weeks by subbing in green tea in place of pop.

Good luck

I have recently quit all soda.  I had been drinking only diet for the past few years, but some recent studies have shown that those are just as bad if not worse for you then regular soda.  The fake sugar tricks your body into thinking that you want real sugar.  As part of my recent weight loss I have quit eating all kinds of food - ice cream, deserts, cake, etc etc.

I do however still smoke cigarettes, but plan on quitting once I am deeper into my "lifestyle" change.  I've been at the weight loss for about 7 weeks and don't want to screw that up.  i think another 7 weeks or so and my eating habits will be so engrained in that quitting smoking won't harm my continued weight loss progress.   Also i know I am going to hit a point where i will need more strenuous exercise to continue losing weight.  30 lbs down and still aways to go!

I don't plan on quitting coffee anytime soon though!  :wink:
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

fastfingers12

Quote from: Undermind on November 01, 2011, 10:29:32 AM

Good job.  Keep it up. 

Good luck

I have recently quit all soda.  I had been drinking only diet for the past few years, but some recent studies have shown that those are just as bad if not worse for you then regular soda.  The fake sugar tricks your body into thinking that you want real sugar.  As part of my recent weight loss I have quit eating all kinds of food - ice cream, deserts, cake, etc etc.

I do however still smoke cigarettes, but plan on quitting once I am deeper into my "lifestyle" change.  I've been at the weight loss for about 7 weeks and don't want to screw that up.  i think another 7 weeks or so and my eating habits will be so engrained in that quitting smoking won't harm my continued weight loss progress.   Also i know I am going to hit a point where i will need more strenuous exercise to continue losing weight.  30 lbs down and still aways to go!

I quit drinking all sodas too. And Ive lost 16 lbs in almost 2 months

rowjimmy

So far, no coffee... No more caffeine headaches at this point, either.
Over the weekend I had a crisis of faith and made myself some mint tea (no caffeine) and I almost drank a Coke but I stopped myself. Those sodas are wicked bad for you too.

I'm generally sticking to water and alcohol.

Undermind

Quote from: fastfingers12 on November 01, 2011, 11:51:22 AM
Quote from: Undermind on November 01, 2011, 10:29:32 AM

Good job.  Keep it up. 

Good luck

I quit drinking all sodas too. And Ive lost 16 lbs in almost 2 months

Nice!  Good work.   :beers:
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

runawayjimbo

Day 4 without coffee and I am struggling to get through the afternoon.

On the plus side, quitting really is contagious.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.