News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Furthur

Started by redrum, August 23, 2009, 05:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

cant wait for aville and charlotte!  :banana: :banana:

sophist

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on January 27, 2010, 01:26:05 PM
Same for ATL, Asheville, and Hampton!
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

gah

Still pulling GA floor tickets for Hampton. Not even going to be close to 1/2 full, imo.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

thatfargone

Quote from: sophist on January 27, 2010, 01:50:45 PM

I have been pretty harsh on these guys.  I actually look forward to hearing what you guys think of the band...especially those of you seeing multiple nights. 
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

mehead

Quote from: goodabouthood on February 01, 2010, 02:18:39 PM
Still pulling GA floor tickets for Hampton. Not even going to be close to 1/2 full, imo.

:shakehead:
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

shoreline99

Quote from: caravan2001 on January 17, 2010, 11:22:45 PM
Quote from: mehead on January 17, 2010, 12:05:56 AM
was driving to work today and heard Let It Grow (no idea which show it was from) on Jam On..holy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..almost fell asleep behind the wheel..NOOOOOOOOO energy at all..just going thru the motions..Bob was either whispering or his voice was just reeeeeeaaaal low in the mix..it EVENTUALLY got to a nice little jam by Fake Jerry..I just don't see the point

I dunno, they were playing the December Asbury Park show on the GD channel last week, and it was aww-ite....still a glorified cover band, but it sounded decent....as good or better than any of the other post-Jerry incarnations IMO.....still it is a little weird having the TOTAL Jerry style guy on lead git.....at least the PLF lineups were a bit different......but, I think they sounded OK, for that type of thing...

The PLF lineup with Molo and Jackie Greene that I caught last year in 2008 was great, IMHO.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

Superfreakie

Quote from: shoreline99 on February 05, 2010, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: caravan2001 on January 17, 2010, 11:22:45 PM
Quote from: mehead on January 17, 2010, 12:05:56 AM
was driving to work today and heard Let It Grow (no idea which show it was from) on Jam On..holy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..almost fell asleep behind the wheel..NOOOOOOOOO energy at all..just going thru the motions..Bob was either whispering or his voice was just reeeeeeaaaal low in the mix..it EVENTUALLY got to a nice little jam by Fake Jerry..I just don't see the point

I dunno, they were playing the December Asbury Park show on the GD channel last week, and it was aww-ite....still a glorified cover band, but it sounded decent....as good or better than any of the other post-Jerry incarnations IMO.....still it is a little weird having the TOTAL Jerry style guy on lead git.....at least the PLF lineups were a bit different......but, I think they sounded OK, for that type of thing...

The PLF lineup with Molo and Jackie Greene that I caught last year in 2008 was great, IMHO.

The PLF 2001 lineup IMO was freakin' awesome (Haynes, Herring, Molo, Barraco). Phish had taken the hiatus so I decided to catch the West Coast summer tour that year (3 nights at the Greek Theater in Berkley, 1 night a Cuthbert Amphitheater in Oregon and then somewhere in a field outside Seattle). I also did the six night run at the Beacon with the same band lineup in November or December of that same year.....right after 9/11. The 3 nights at the Greek were fantastic with the middle night's second set being truly out of this world. And the 6 nights at the Beacon that fall were outstanding and dripping with emotion (check out the tribute night to George Harrison as he passed away during the run, or the first night dedicated to NY and those lost in 9/11). No one could ever convince me that that lineup did not push the envelope. I have never been a huge Warren fan but the music they churned out night after night was a true improv clinic and class act. Some of Phil's best bass playing.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

sophist

Quote from: thatfargone on February 01, 2010, 02:44:30 PM
Quote from: sophist on January 27, 2010, 01:50:45 PM

I have been pretty harsh on these guys.  I actually look forward to hearing what you guys think of the band...especially those of you seeing multiple nights.
I was planning on posting a review for each show, so check back.  So psyched for tonight.  The first two nights look pretty solid on paper.  I just started 2/5 and they sound money in the opening jam. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sophist

Furthur
2010/02/08
The Tabernacle
Atlanta, GA

Set I:
Promised Land,
Brown Eyed Women,
El Paso,
Little Light >
Money for Gasoline,
Estimated Prophet ->
Liberty >
Passenger

Set II:
Scarlet ->
Jack Straw >
Eyes of the World ->
Women-R-Smarter ->
Cumberland Blues ->
Cassidy ->
Mtns of the Moon ->
Death Dont Have No Mercy >
Fire on the Mountain

E: Satisfaction

The tabernacle was an old church that sits in the heart of downtown Atlanta, the church was converted into a concert venue with very unique amenities.  The most notable is the side rooms which have pool tables and couches.  It has a basement level below the theater with a full bar and a side patio for smoking.   

The main floor is always general admission while the second and third level balconies have seating.  Capacity is just over 2000.  There are three lots by the tabernacle to park, which means a central shakedown isn't present.  The shakedown last night consisted of flat brim wooks selling grade D merchandise and partaking in massive amounts of nitrous oxide.  Classy.  The ticket demand was reflective of what was seen on scalper sites.  People were asking for between 60-100 dollars on site.  Many were shut out.

Chimenti is stage left, while Phil is to his right, and Weir to Phil's right, and John to the far right.  Behind John sits the back up singers.  To the left of the back up singers is Russo (left) and Lane (right).  In terms of lights they have the stereotypical archetype of Phish lights (sans the trampoline looking thing that is the middle).  It's an oval shaped rig, with additional lights behind the stage.  A huge white tapestry is hung behind the band and the lights are predominately lit on that.  Phil has 2 bass guitars, Weir had 3 guitars (the pink guitar from the 80's, a new strat, and a les paul looking guitar), John had 2 guitars he was using.  One that closely resembles Jerry's tiger, and a semi hollow body custom made guitar with a light brown finish.  Chimenti has a sweet set up with multiple keyboards (if I knew more about keyboards I would elaborate).  Finally Jay and Joe have their respective kits set up which look standard, no western looking drums or anything like Hart or Kreutzmann ever used.  Now as for the music it was impressive at times, at other times it did leave some to be desired (at least for me).  Overall there was a lot of energy and the crowd was there for the band not to party (at least not party too much).  The opening tandem of Promised Land > Brown Eyed Women was fantastic and brought a huge smile on my face and got the  whole venue rocking.   El Paso was at a slower pace and I thought it dragged a bit at times, and there was a stanza where they botched the instrumentation of it (it was Bobby). 

Little Light melted faces, and was one of two highlights of the first set in my opinion.  A lot of the younger deadheads seemed to dig the sound of this tune and it was really well received.  The ratdog tune Gasoline for money, was not as well received.   I'll admit I never got into Ratdog, so this was my first time hearing this tune, and I wasn't really a fan.

The second highlight of the set was the Estimated -> Liberty.   Atypical jam out Estimated, and it was a sick one.  Estimated dragged at first but the jam was really intense.  Great version and this is what I have loved about this line up, their ability to take a tune and just take it for a ride.  JK really shined here.  Tight version of Passenger to close the set. 

Set II was just a beast.  Killer song selection, and well executed playing.  Scarlet opener had the place in a communal groove.  The segue into Jack Straw was sick.  And it was a great version of Jack Straw too.  Eyes was well played but I took issue with it.  They abandoned the early 70's style ending of it which is what makes the song for me.  The sequence of modulations before the ending arpeggios is crucial to me, and that wasn't played so I was a little bummed and felt shafted.   The segue into Women are Smarter was good and the tune was well received. 

Cumberland Blues was the highlight of set II for me.  It contains a raging solo from JK that dissolved into this segue for Cassidy.  Cassidy was also a set highlight.  Cassidy has a dirty jam in it that was just sick.  The segue into MOTM was cool and MOTM wasn't well received.  From the balcony it looked like the a lot of the crowd didn't know that tune or Death Don't Have No Mercy, which had some very soulful vocals from JK.    Fire to close the set brought the crowd back, and it was a good version.  Great second set, and I enjoyed the encore albeit I wanted a Dead tune (I've never been a big stones fan). 

Overall I will these guys are tight and put on a good show.  I entered the show hoping to have my face melted and that never happened, I left content and excited about what tonight will bring (but also anxious that tonight could possibly be a bust).  If you make the mistake of being like me and constantly doing introverted analysis of "what would the grateful dead do here?" then you'll leave disappointed, the best advice I can give is to approach this realizing what it is and that is a new line up attempting to breath life into the music we all love.

Superfreakie

Thanks for the review Soph.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Superfreakie

I hope you get kicked down a fat setlist tonight. So far that Bayfront Park Amphitheater list is the one I would of enjoyed best from this leg.

Set 1:
Born Cross-Eyed>
The Music Never Stopped>
Ramble On Rose>
The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion)>
Dear Mr. Fantasy>
On The Road Again>
Franklin's Tower

Set 2:
Throwing Stones>
Viola Lee Blues>
Mason's Children>
Viola Lee Blues
Good Lovin',
Lady With A Fan>
Terrapin Station,
Shakedown Street
China Cat Sunflower>
I Know You Rider

E: Ripple

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: sophist on February 09, 2010, 09:07:52 AM

Overall I will these guys are tight and put on a good show.  I entered the show hoping to have my face melted and that never happened, I left content and excited about what tonight will bring (but also anxious that tonight could possibly be a bust).  If you make the mistake of being like me and constantly doing introverted analysis of "what would the grateful dead do here?" then you'll leave disappointed, the best advice I can give is to approach this realizing what it is and that is a new line up attempting to breath life into the music we all love.

QFT
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

JPhishman

Nice review Sophist. I been looking forward to hearing your thoughts after seeing this incarnation.

:clap:
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: JPhishman on February 09, 2010, 12:30:44 PM
Nice review Sophist. I been looking forward to hearing your thoughts after seeing this incarnation.

:clap:
Bring in the dude!