News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Furthur

Started by redrum, August 23, 2009, 05:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

I much prefer Kimock's playing to Fake Jerry's.
Bring in the dude!

McGrupp

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on December 07, 2010, 08:40:30 PM

I've been listening to the PF + Trey and Page show a lot lately. Kimock's playing is magical throughout that show.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: McGrupp on December 07, 2010, 08:44:57 PM

I've been listening to the PF + Trey and Page show a lot lately. Kimock's playing is magical throughout that show.

Best post-Jerry Dead related shows ever....
Bring in the dude!

Superfreakie

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on December 07, 2010, 08:54:26 PM

I'm sure I have mentioned this before, but it bears repeating. Some of my favorite shows I have caught live. The improv between Trey and Kimock on night three is pure genius. As well, possibly the best I have ever heard Page play. Page was a monster on that run. What I also love about that run is that no matter how many times I go back to it, I always find some new musical thing that I missed prior. That's when you know a performance was truly great. 
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Superfreakie on December 07, 2010, 09:07:34 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on December 07, 2010, 08:54:26 PM

I'm sure I have mentioned this before, but it bears repeating. Some of my favorite shows I have caught live. The improv between Trey and Kimock on night three is pure genius. As well, possibly the best I have ever heard Page play. Page was a monster on that run. What I also love about that run is that no matter how many times I go back to it, I always find some new musical thing that I missed prior. That's when you know a performance was truly great.

Outside of Phish -- those 3 shows contain many of my all time favorite improvisational moments.
Bring in the dude!

zimbra

Damn you guys, now instead of watching this movie I just payed for I'm going to go have candle lit Phil & Phriends night in my living room.  :evil:

"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

Kimock's playing is way more than "derivative of Jerry". He plays with African and Indian stuff Jerry never did. Plenty of people who didn't become aware of Kimock until the later 90's or 00's make that mistake all the time but he's been making his own sound (albeit complementary to Garcia's) since the 70's.

That said...

zimbra

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 08, 2010, 08:27:01 AM
Kimock's playing is way more than "derivative of Jerry". He plays with African and Indian stuff Jerry never did. Plenty of people who didn't become aware of Kimock until the later 90's or 00's make that mistake all the time but he's been making his own sound (albeit complementary to Garcia's) since the 70's.

Yo, RJ I'm taking it you like Kimock then?
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

Quote from: zimbra on December 08, 2010, 08:29:59 AM

Yo, RJ I'm taking it you like Kimock then?

Yeah.

Buffalo Budd

Kimock is an amazing guitarist and it's really too bad that it took that long for him to gain notoriety.  I've only got to catch him once but he blew my mind.  I only wish it was a full show instead of a festival set. 

08/26/2005 (Fri) Evolve Festival - Antigonish, NS
Set 1: Cole's Law > Tangled Hangers, Thing One, Elmer's Revenge, Bronx Experiment, One for Brother Mike, Dr. Zaius, Five B4 Funk
E: Bouncer
Lineup - Steve Kimock (Guitars), Rodney Holmes (Drums), Mitch Stein (Guitars), Reed Mathis (Bass) and Mookie Siegel (Keyboards).

If anyone ever has the chance to see him perform, do not pass it up.

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

McGrupp

That said...

9 minutes and 48 seconds of goosebumps. Thanks for that.  :music:
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

zimbra

Quote from: zimbra on December 08, 2010, 01:35:24 AM
Damn you guys, now instead of watching this movie I just payed for I'm going to go have candle lit Phil & Phriends night in my living room.  :evil:

I have yet to go to sleep still....

On the 3rd Phil and Phriends show.... F. you guys
- Trey Anastasio

ph92

That said...

Rawsome!

And I like Kimock a bunch more than I do fake Jerry. I've seen DSO a bunch of times, and a couple times for their own little festival up near me (Grateful Fest, Nelson's Ledges). They are cool live, but I might even say I'd rather hear Kimock on tape then fake Jerry live.

I just think fake Jerry is emulating too much, he needs to throw in some of his own style of playing. That's what I like about Kimock so much more, sure he has that same kind of tone and playing style, but its that same style with his own twist. And I like it.

Also tell me if this is wrong, but my dead-head physics teacher last year told me he has been playing with a GD cover band since like the 70's. 
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

rowjimmy

Quote from: phishhead92 on December 08, 2010, 12:51:25 PM

That said...

Rawsome!

And I like Kimock a bunch more than I do fake Jerry. I've seen DSO a bunch of times, and a couple times for their own little festival up near me (Grateful Fest, Nelson's Ledges). They are cool live, but I might even say I'd rather hear Kimock on tape then fake Jerry live.

I just think fake Jerry is emulating too much, he needs to throw in some of his own style of playing. That's what I like about Kimock so much more, sure he has that same kind of tone and playing style, but its that same style with his own twist. And I like it.

Also tell me if this is wrong, but my dead-head physics teacher last year told me he has been playing with a GD cover band since like the 70's.

Your physics teacher has been in a cover band since the 70s?

kellerb

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 08, 2010, 01:57:07 PM
Quote from: phishhead92 on December 08, 2010, 12:51:25 PM

That said...

Rawsome!

Your physics teacher has been in a cover band since the 70s?

I wonder if they ever do "Day Job"