News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

'The Hobbit'

Started by mistercharlie, October 17, 2010, 08:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

I saw it. I liked it.

If you love Middle Earth as much as I do, you'll welcome the additional material. The story of the Necromancer furthers the prologue nature of The Hobbit. I think it's going to be pretty great.

Meanwhile, the Hobbit and Dwarfs still have a bit of a way to go in their journey.

HFR is a new thing and like any new thing, someone else will do it better. Perhaps even Jackson will improve on it presentation in the next film just as the Gollum cgi improved from the dirt film to the second...

The clarity of the image alternated from being odd to amazing. 3D was cool but, as usual, unnecessary. There were a couple sequences that were enhanced by it, though.

barnesy305

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 16, 2012, 10:22:08 AM
I saw it. I liked it.

If you love Middle Earth as much as I do, you'll welcome the additional material. The story of the Necromancer furthers the prologue nature of The Hobbit. I think it's going to be pretty great.

Meanwhile, the Hobbit and Dwarfs still have a bit of a way to go in their journey.

HFR is a new thing and like any new thing, someone else will do it better. Perhaps even Jackson will improve on it presentation in the next film just as the Gollum cgi improved from the dirt film to the second...

The clarity of the image alternated from being odd to amazing. 3D was cool but, as usual, unnecessary. There were a couple sequences that were enhanced by it, though.

If you liked it, put a ring on it.

VDB

Good reviews, cactusfan. I should really read y'all's blog more often...

I'd be interested to see this or any movie in this new-fangled higher frame rate, if only for curiosity's sake, though I'm sure I wouldn't like it. The only thing I don't like about how film looks is during fast camera moves when the image kind of snags or tears (judder). Would be nice if someone could devise a filming/projection method to address that but otherwise leave film's cadence as-is.
Is this still Wombat?

cactusfan

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on December 16, 2012, 01:13:49 PM
Good reviews, cactusfan. I should really read y'all's blog more often...

I'd be interested to see this or any movie in this new-fangled higher frame rate, if only for curiosity's sake, though I'm sure I wouldn't like it. The only thing I don't like about how film looks is during fast camera moves when the image kind of snags or tears (judder). Would be nice if someone could devise a filming/projection method to address that but otherwise leave film's cadence as-is.

thanks for reading. come on by anytime.

antelope19

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 16, 2012, 10:22:08 AM
I saw it. I liked it.

Just got back from watching this for the first time.  I couldn't agree more with Jonathan's sentiments re: the 3D.  It was cool, but certainly not necessary and at times, pretty rough.  But as for the movie itself, I loved it.  I haven't read the book in years and I think I'm gonna dust it off and revisit.  I will def. be going back to the theater to watch this again. I loved it.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

antelope19

Also, I am really curious to see what Jackson does with the necromancer.  Tolkien himself said that he was no more than a plot device in 'The Hobbit' even though he plays a much larger role in LOTR.

rowjimmy

As with so many things Tolkien, that 'plot device' is better fleshed out than most popular film characters.

antelope19

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 28, 2012, 09:35:13 AM
As with so many things Tolkien, that 'plot device' is better fleshed out than most popular film characters.

Agreed. And I hope Jackson does spend some time developing that character because he does play such a pivotal role in the other books.

rowjimmy

Quote from: antelope19 on December 28, 2012, 09:38:51 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on December 28, 2012, 09:35:13 AM

Agreed. And I hope Jackson does spend some time developing that character because he does play such a pivotal role in the other books.

I'm sure he has.
He's cast an amazing actor for the role as well...

antelope19

Forgot to mention that my father gave me his copy of 'The Hobbit' from when he was a kid.  Printed in 1966 with original cover. Pumped.

rowjimmy

gah

Quote from: antelope19 on December 28, 2012, 04:45:34 PM
Forgot to mention that my father gave me his copy of 'The Hobbit' from when he was a kid.  Printed in 1966 with original cover. Pumped.

Nice looking book. Apparently that cover was designed by Tolkien as well.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

antelope19

Going to see this again tonight.  :-)

antelope19

Saw it in 2D and enjoyed it even more.  I caught a few things that I missed the first time around(most likely since that was my first 3D experience).

Anyway, it kills me that we have to wait another year+ for the next one to come out. 

gah

Quote from: antelope19 on January 08, 2013, 05:57:35 PM
Going to see this again tonight.  :-)

the wife geeked out with you twice?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.