News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Olympics 2012

Started by emay, July 28, 2012, 01:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfreakie

Quote from: phil on August 02, 2012, 01:11:04 PM
Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on August 02, 2012, 11:04:37 AM
Quote from: phil on August 02, 2012, 10:01:13 AM
Quote from: barnesy305 on August 01, 2012, 05:02:33 PM
blown out asshole.[/b]

Youtube abounds with videos

And you know all about that???   :-o

Terry

What can I say, I've watched a few videos of weightlifters crapping themselves in my day.

ah, so this explains the glass table in your living room.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

antelope19

What do you Canadians do during the Summer Olympics?  Have you all even won a medal?   :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

gah

Dude's got his oh face on  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

I sent that link to a friend of mine, and he responded "there's already a photoshop of those people on the can."

Amazing how quickly funny shit spreads on the internetz.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on August 02, 2012, 03:05:25 PM
Amazing how quickly funny shit spreads on the internetz.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

So to speak. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

kellerb

Quote from: Hicks on August 02, 2012, 03:12:29 PM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on August 02, 2012, 03:05:25 PM

So to speak.

Well look, there's not even any TP.  That's gonna be a mess

VDB

A good night for the U S of A tonight.
Is this still Wombat?

phil

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on August 02, 2012, 11:29:47 PM

Truth, although I lol'd pretty hard at the fools last night who were tweeting about the results of the men's 200m IM....when NBC finally aired it...five hours after it happened.

Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

runawayjimbo

Sure you just won an Olympic medal and brought your country glory and honor, but hey, Uncle Sam's gotta get his!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19101429

Who, What, Why: Why are US athletes taxed on Olympic medal wins?
US medal-winning athletes at the Olympics have to pay tax on their prize money - something which is proving controversial in the US. But why are athletes from the US taxed when others are not?

The US is right up there in the medals table, and has produced some of the finest displays in the Olympics so far.

Michael Phelps has broken the record for most Olympic medals ever, and 16-year-old rising star Gabby Douglas has won the all-round gold in the gymnastics - the first African-American woman to do so.

So the US is feeling pretty proud of its athletes right now. But not everyone is happy to hear that their Olympic medal-winning athletes are being taxed on their medal prize money.

Athletes are effectively being punished for their success, argues Florida Senator Marco Rubio, a Republican, who introduced a bill earlier this week that would eliminate tax on Olympic medals and prize money.

"Athletes representing our nation overseas in the Olympics shouldn't have to worry about an extra tax bill waiting for them back home," said Rubio.

This, he said, is an example of the "madness" of the US tax system, which he called a "complicated and burdensome mess".

The US Olympic Committee awards prize money to its medal winners - $25,000 (£16,000) for gold, $15,000 (£10,000) for silver, and $10,000 (£6,000) for bronze.

This money is considered taxable income by the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

According to the advocacy group Americans for Tax Reform (ATR), an athlete on the highest rate of tax (35%), could face a tax bill of $8,750 (£5,600).

The value of the medals themselves could be subject to tax too, according to the ATR - adding a further $236 (£150), $135 (£85), and $2 (£1.20) respectively for gold, silver and bronze.

The Olympic example highlights what they regard as the underlying problem of the US' so-called "worldwide" tax model.

Under this system, earnings made by a US citizen abroad are liable for both local tax and US tax.

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

VDB

Quote from: phil on August 03, 2012, 11:03:34 AM

Truth, although I lol'd pretty hard at the fools last night who were tweeting about the results of the men's 200m IM....when NBC finally aired it...five hours after it happened.

eh, lots of people try to avoid spoilers during the day so they can be surprised during the primetime broadcast. I'm in that camp -- though my success rate at that has been below 50% so far these games...
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on August 03, 2012, 11:09:28 AM

eh, lots of people try to avoid spoilers during the day so they can be surprised during the primetime broadcast. I'm in that camp -- though my success rate at that has been below 50% so far these games...

Yup - been ignoring FB, etc. every night this week to watch the swimming in particular spoiler-free. I love swimming!

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

phil

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on August 03, 2012, 11:09:28 AM

I respect that, but it bugs me when my news feeds blow up twice in the same day about the same exact event as if the race happened twice. Mostly dumb girls I know, which easily quadruples the annoying factor (unless I can see their boobs, in which case they can say whatever they want)
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

PIE-GUY

Also, Soni breaking 2:20 in the 200 Breast was THE highlight for me last night. So amazing to see someone achieve a major life-time goal. The 4-minute mile, it's not... but it was still a HUGE accomplishment.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/swimming/rebecca-soni-again-breaks-world-record-on-way-to-gold-in-200-breast.html
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul