News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

11/2 - Boardwalk Hall - Atlantic City, NJ - Post Show Discussion and Review

Started by runawayjimbo, November 02, 2013, 11:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGrupp

When is Phish going to get weird with Mike's Song again?

It's all abridged rawk now. When was the last 15+ min version?
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

GBL

Quote from: McGrupp on November 15, 2013, 03:18:39 AM

I want that 2nd jam, Damnit!!

If this is love, I'm never going home..

emay

yeah I remember that radio talkshow guy telling trey he wanted that extended 2nd jam in mikes and trey told him hed go back and listen to it and if they busted that out it would be for that guy.

stilllll waiting!

Lifeboy

Quote from: GBL on November 15, 2013, 03:34:23 AM

I want that 2nd jam, Damnit!!

SER
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

VDB

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on November 15, 2013, 10:16:32 AM

yeah I remember that radio talkshow guy telling trey he wanted that extended 2nd jam in mikes and trey told him hed go back and listen to it and if they busted that out it would be for that guy.

stilllll waiting!

He'd "go back and listen to it"? Does Trey not remember that they used to jam that song out?
Is this still Wombat?

emay

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on November 15, 2013, 10:59:22 AM
Quote from: emayPhishyMD on November 15, 2013, 10:16:32 AM

stilllll waiting!

He'd "go back and listen to it"? Does Trey not remember that they used to jam that song out?

Haha I guess not.
Ill look for the audio clip of the guy talking about it.
He said that Trey asked what a good example was of it and he told him any mikes from 95  :wtu:
trey said he would go back and listen to it again....

actually yeah he did forget, heres the podcast and the transcription of it so you dont have to listen....trey specifically says he had forgotten there was a second jam in mikes......scramble'd

"

fast forward to 28m 40s

I figured I'd write up a quick transcript from this Phish podcast...a phan got to play tuba in the National Symphony Orchestra with Trey and got to ask him a Phish question...he paraphrased the story on the podcast.

Phan: Trey, I've got just one question for you on behlaf of the Phish community that people have been bugging me to ask you

Trey: Yeah, whats that?

Phan: We just want to know are we ever going to get the second jam in Mike's Song back again?

(Trey just paused and there was no reaction at all)

Phan: I can tell them to go screw themselves...

Trey: No, no, no it's cool. I had completely forgotten that there used to be a second jam in Mike's Song.

Phan: That's what we all thought!

Trey: So if I were to go back and listen to an old version to hear what your talking about, would I go back to like 91?

Phan: Try 96, that was a really goo hear for Mike's Song's.

Trey: Ok, if we play it again it will be directly because of you.

Phan: Thank you so much for your time!"

McGrupp

Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

rowjimmy

They didn't play Phish songs for five years. They had to relearn most of them and there weren't charts for most.

VDB

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 15, 2013, 11:37:57 AM
They didn't play Phish songs for five years. They had to relearn most of them and there weren't charts for most.

Yeah, it was funny seeing that Page "workshop" video from 2007(?) when he said, in reference to Phish music, "don't ask me to play any of that because I can't remember."

I'm also certain the band has an entirely different relationship with their own musical history than we do. We could rattle off shit like "1994-95 was the best era for Tweezer" or "the funk was extra dank in fall 1997" and the band would probably respond with a "Is that so? I'll take your word for it." Remember that recent interview with Mike? He pretty much said that they don't get hung up on jamming styles or output of the past like fans do... they always view themselves as making progress.

All that said, it's clear that they remember that songs like Tweezer and Disease are jam vehicles, and Sample is not... so it's funny to hear that Trey straight-up forgot that about Mike's Song, which had been a big, consistent jammer for a long time.
Is this still Wombat?

sophist

Drugs, they used them.  Simple enough answer as for why they (Trey) don't remember these things. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on November 15, 2013, 12:03:39 PM

I'm also certain the band has an entirely different relationship with their own musical history than we do. We could rattle off shit like "1994-95 was the best era for Tweezer" or "the funk was extra dank in fall 1997" and the band would probably respond with a "Is that so? I'll take your word for it." Remember that recent interview with Mike? He pretty much said that they don't get hung up on jamming styles or output of the past like fans do... they always view themselves as making progress.

When @okdeadhead met Fish in Tahoe, he reminded him of the Memphis '95 Tweezer. Fish didn't recall jamming it like that.
The next night... BOOM!

Caravan2001

I was talking to Trey in 91 (Arrowhead Ranch I think) and they had not played Bathtub Gin in like 5 shows or something, a really short amount of time, and he looked at me with a straight face and said "Bathtub Gin.  Huh.  I forgot about that one..."  In the same conversation I also asked him why they hadn't played Destiny Unbound all summer and he said it was because they thought it sounded too much like GD and they were currently re-working it.  They played it then in September, not re-worked, but shortly after that it was gone for that long stretch.

ETA: Looking at Phish.net, that Bathtub Gin comment may have been made at UVM 91 or Colby....

Caravan2001

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 15, 2013, 12:12:50 PM

When @okdeadhead met Fish in Tahoe, he reminded him of the Memphis '95 Tweezer. Fish didn't recall jamming it like that.
The next night... BOOM!

Doesn't Mike say in that recent 7Days interview something to the effect that he didn't even remember the Tahoe Tweezer?  Something like "Fans were all talking about that 30 minute Tweezer in Tahoe, or whatever song it was." lol....He has to just be putting that on, how do you forget that?

emay

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 15, 2013, 12:54:33 PM

The next night... BOOM!

Doesn't Mike say in that recent 7Days interview something to the effect that he didn't even remember the Tahoe Tweezer?  Something like "Fans were all talking about that 30 minute Tweezer in Tahoe, or whatever song it was." lol....He has to just be putting that on, how do you forget that?

I guess big jams etc doesnt do it for them anymore.
maybe he just gets bored while jamming out songs since it doesnt seem to move him in anyway to make it memorable.

Hicks

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 15, 2013, 12:54:33 PM

The next night... BOOM!

That's not exactly what he said, he said he thought that Tahoe was one of his favorite shows of the summer but he didn't remember the details:

Quote from: Mike
That Tahoe thing that everyone likes — the Tahoe "Tweezer." Was it "Tweezer?" Whatever the hell it was. I really liked that night, too.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.